Has the Star food improved since 2005???

riffatsea

This thread reminds me of an old story:

Two women are out having dinner at a nice restaurant. One them says, ‘Boy, the food at this place is really terrible. Feh. It tastes like poison!’

The other one says, ‘Yeah, I know; and they give you such small portions.’

Edited by AdGuyMG

This thread reminds me of an old story:

Two women are out having dinner at a nice restaurant. One them says, ‘Boy, the food at this place is really terrible. Feh. It tastes like poison!’

The other one says, ‘Yeah, I know; and they give you such small portions.’

Ha! That's so true!!

Just got off the Star 2 weeks ago and the food was good. We ate in the MDR half of the cruise and the specialties the other half. We did not go to the buffet at all.

We were on the Star 3 years ago in Alaska and I think the food has gotten a little better. We did find that some of the dishes that we had in the specialty restaurants, found their way onto the MDR menu at some point during the 9 days!!! (So, why go and pay for them? hmmm):rolleyes:

The only thing that wee had that was absolutely tasteless was the onion soup, both in the MDR and in lLe Bistro!! It was basically brown water! Other than that, the food was average to very good!

I'm surprised that one person not liking the food being on the same ship as you will spoil your cruise. Yours is one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen on these boards in the few years I've hovered around. Talk about touchy.

My comment was made to another poster in APRIL !! It is now late August!!!!!

Your ridiculous comment serves no purpose and contributes nothing to this discussion.

The food on the Star is very good, and has been very good in the 30 plus cruises I have made on this ship.

I believe those who disparage the food are simply seeking attention !!

Edited by swedish weave

The menus have certainly changed. The food budget has decreased and as a result the quality of ingredients has gone down. If you can make a better tasting dish with cheaper ingredients I guess the food could possibly be better. Don't think NCL has cracked that code. In my experience the taste and quality of food on all NCL ships has declined considerably over the last 10 years.

I don't agree with your negative comments about NCL. They provide a good cruise at a reasonable price and the food is and has always been very good in my experience.

Can you support your statements with facts and figures ?

My comment was made to another poster in APRIL !! It is now late August!!!!!

Your ridiculous comment serves no purpose and contributes nothing to this discussion.

The food on the Star is very good, and has been very good in the 30 plus cruises I have made on this ship.

I believe those who disparage the food are simply seeking attention !!

I wasn't aware it was a resurrected thread from a few months ago with it back on the first page. I also wasn't aware you were responding to the second posters remarks, with the lack of quotes it seemed you were giving the OP a hard time for questioning the food quality as others were doing, so my apologies.

If you did not like the MDR food on 2005, I suspect you will not like it now. Of course, there have been some menu changes. Maybe those dishes will be more to your taste...or maybe even less.

Also unchanged...specialty restaurants are available to those wishing to pay. Star has several of them, though not as many as some newer ships. I know you did not try them last time; maybe you should.

What has changed...they do have an ultimate dining package. Buying that would give you access to the specialty restaurants. If you are a foodie who has not liked NCL food in the past, strongly consider buying the UDP. You will have many more options that way. No guarantee that the food will suit your specific taste buds there, but I'd think the odds go way up.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Hi all,

... fast forward to today when we are actually considering another cruise on the Star because we like her Mexican itinerary.

If you plan your trip in the fall of 2015, you can be on the Jewel instead of the Star when it gets deployed out of Los Angeles for the Mexican Riviera after the 2015 Alaskan season.

The Star will be in Tampa doing a Yucatan Peninsula route cruise in the fall. But, it will be a 'new' ship after the NCL Next upgrade in March 2015. So, maybe the Mexican Riviera on the refurbished Star in March/early April would be a good thing.

Edited by calex

Granted there can be some variation week to week or ship to ship, but I think NCL tries to keep the food consistent across the fleet. If somebody did not find the food palatable on Star, they may have the same experience on Jewel or another ship.

Whichever NCL ship, run the budget to include the UDP. If the price including the UDP works for you, give it another go. If the price with the UDP is too high, one could budget for some specialty dinners on selected nights. Or if the budget is too tight for that, just decide if you could be enjoy the cruise even if the food does not suit your palate. There can be more to the cruise experience than food.

Hi

Past star cruisers - do u recommend we go for 9 night UDP baltic cruise?

Looks like we will enjoy: cagneys, le bistro, teppanyaki, ginza, la cucina

Is the signature trio package still being offered?

Hi Gwen,

I'm pretty sure the trio dining package has been replaced with the ultimate dining package. If you are going to go to these specialty restaurants each night of our 9 night cruise, I think you come out ahead with the UDP package particularly if you get the lobster upcharge dishes at Le Bistro and Ginza. We may try Moderno since the Star will have been through her dry dock by May 2015 and it will be moved from the atrium area to deck 13 near Cagney's.