POA Cruise tour

Personally you can do much better on your own and save about half.

I'm a solo traveler. I booked a studio. The studio room by itself for my sailing is $2822.32 and $100 OBC. I booked the cruise tour through a travel agency. Total cost is $4291.65 ($1469.33 more) bumps me up to $250 OBC, the cruise tour includes 3 days as the Marriott Waikiki Resort, tours and transportation to North Shore, Haleiwa, surf spots, Punchbowl Crater, downtown, Pearl Harbor (which includes USS Arizona, USS Bowfin, USS Missouri tours) Pacific Aviation Museum, Nu'uanu Pali and Kualou Ranch. If I break the 11 days down that's costing me $390.15 per day before gratuities and flight (If I add those and transfers my daily cost is $521.46). My big question if any one has been on this cruise tour is how many meals are included in the land tour portion of it.

Since I'm a solo traveler if I were to do that all on my own I would have to worry about driving/ taxi's, getting directions, and booking the same excursions which would come without a guide so for me I'm thinking that the cost savings would not be as much or not worth the extra stress/ fatigue.

I'm a solo traveler. I booked a studio. The studio room by itself for my sailing is $2822.32 and $100 OBC. I booked the cruise tour through a travel agency. Total cost is $4291.65 ($1469.33 more) bumps me up to $250 OBC, the cruise tour includes 3 days as the Marriott Waikiki Resort, tours and transportation to North Shore, Haleiwa, surf spots, Punchbowl Crater, downtown, Pearl Harbor (which includes USS Arizona, USS Bowfin, USS Missouri tours) Pacific Aviation Museum, Nu'uanu Pali and Kualou Ranch. If I break the 11 days down that's costing me $390.15 per day before gratuities and flight (If I add those and transfers my daily cost is $521.46). My big question if any one has been on this cruise tour is how many meals are included in the land tour portion of it.

Since I'm a solo traveler if I were to do that all on my own I would have to worry about driving/ taxi's, getting directions, and booking the same excursions which would come without a guide so for me I'm thinking that the cost savings would not be as much or not worth the extra stress/ fatigue.

Marriott Waikiki Resort 3 nights based on this July is 3 x 279.00= $837

plus there is a $300 daily resort fee = another $90 (u need to check to see of TA has included it , probably not)

Total 927.00 + 10% approx hotel tax= $1020.00

North Shore tour with "Roberts Hawaii" very similiar tour is $90

Pearl Harbor tour next day $45 total =135+ 1020.00+1155.00

If you book a two or three combo tour deal with Roberts y'll save even more and they are very reputable and started out originally catering to POA only.

I'm surprised that there isn't a bigger price difference.

I doubt that the tour mentioned above is all in one day due to distance from Waikiki. Your North shore Tour which includes the ranch will be your stop for lunch (at least it was for us when we did it twice)there you will be able to purchase the buffet which they will push hard or u can just do the snack bar and eat out side, great ranch. And I'm guessing that Pearl Harbor and Punch Bowl will be another day.

We have done this cruise three times and all b2b as well as spend 5 to 7 days in Waikiki and have always used Roberts for both land an shore excursions.

I don't know if your male or female I'm guessing female, having said that Waikiki is very safe and you in the heart of everything so no real need to feel unsafe. Lots of restaurants, lots to do.

I'm saying this because there are a lot of boutique hotels that you can do a lot cheaper without the fancy lobbies and transfers from airport are like 12 to 15 dollars. Just a thought!

Marriott Waikiki Resort 3 nights based on this July is 3 x 279.00= $837

plus there is a $300 daily resort fee = another $90 (u need to check to see of TA has included it , probably not)

Total 927.00 + 10% approx hotel tax= $1020.00

North Shore tour with "Roberts Hawaii" very similiar tour is $90

Pearl Harbor tour next day $45 total =135+ 1020.00+1155.00

If you book a two or three combo tour deal with Roberts y'll save even more and they are very reputable and started out originally catering to POA only.

I'm surprised that there isn't a bigger price difference.

I doubt that the tour mentioned above is all in one day due to distance from Waikiki. Your North shore Tour which includes the ranch will be your stop for lunch (at least it was for us when we did it twice)there you will be able to purchase the buffet which they will push hard or u can just do the snack bar and eat out side, great ranch. And I'm guessing that Pearl Harbor and Punch Bowl will be another day.

We have done this cruise three times and all b2b as well as spend 5 to 7 days in Waikiki and have always used Roberts for both land an shore excursions.

I don't know if your male or female I'm guessing female, having said that Waikiki is very safe and you in the heart of everything so no real need to feel unsafe. Lots of restaurants, lots to do.

I'm saying this because there are a lot of boutique hotels that you can do a lot cheaper without the fancy lobbies and transfers from airport are like 12 to 15 dollars. Just a thought!

I'm a guy. This is one of my bucket list cruses. I'm booked for next July (its over my 36th b-day). The NCL price includes everything that I know of except maybe food during the land based part (it mentions lunches on some). The cruise tour is North Shore one day, Downtown and the Pearl Harbor stuff another day and Pali and Ranch the final day. My travel agent booked everything through NCL and my total is $5,736.05, that includes all aspects of the cruise tour (except maybe meals, drinks, tips), taxes, gratuities, transfers and air.

Well your going to just love the cruise and the islands. By chance did you book an aft balcony?

The reason I ask is that with an aft there is no wind but you will have a 180 degree view so if the lava is flowing you will see it as well as the beautiful Napali Coast.

Starboard is lava, portside is Napali coast but the ship will turn around to give starboard a view but its not as long as being on portside for it.

You also have a bigger chance of seeing whales off the aft of ship as we did.

Well your going to just love the cruise and the islands. By chance did you book an aft balcony?

The reason I ask is that with an aft there is no wind but you will have a 180 degree view so if the lava is flowing you will see it as well as the beautiful Napali Coast.

Starboard is lava, portside is Napali coast but the ship will turn around to give starboard a view but its not as long as being on portside for it.

Currently booked in one of the 4 studios on the ship. If I find someone willing to go with me I will upgrade to a balcony but the price jump is $2000 if I want to go to a balcony.

No lava flows at the Big Island in March. POA went north-around from Hilo to Kona. Here's the website to check before you leave, to see if there is lava flowing.

Has anyone done it. I've done a search and nothing comes up. I booked one for July of next year. Just have a few questions.

Thanks!

I believe this is a relatively new offering; that might be why you are having trouble finding information on it.

Personally you can do much better on your own and save about half.

Comparing cruise price to cruise tour those 3 nights at a resort with tours costs $1K per person. So basically $2K for 3 nights and 3 excursions for a couple. Daaaaaaang. That's pricey. I figure that even modest (we do not necessarily need or want a fancy spa resort) lodging can be found for $200 per night, and if we spent another $150 per day for the 3 days to eat and tour...yep, right around half the price of doing it through NCL. But I haven't looking into comparing the actual excursions offered and I don't know the pricing on them or logistics of doing them if you don't have a rental car. A few days of a cheapo rental can quickly add a few hundred bucks in HI so need to sort it all out.

I like the idea of booking it all in one but the price is just out of site compared to figuring it out. If it was a few hundred bucks difference, no problem.

Edited by LMaxwell

Also if I join AARP as an associate member apparently I can obtain the AARP discount; that saves a bit over $250 off the cruisetour price for two. Good info on this thread, will look up some of the mentioned excursions. Don't need a fancy hotel, but something with something interesting as a view is a plus. Open to suggestions.

Comparing cruise price to cruise tour those 3 nights at a resort with tours costs $1K per person. So basically $2K for 3 nights and 3 excursions for a couple. Daaaaaaang. That's pricey. I figure that even modest (we do not necessarily need or want a fancy spa resort) lodging can be found for $200 per night, and if we spent another $150 per day for the 3 days to eat and tour...yep, right around half the price of doing it through NCL. But I haven't looking into comparing the actual excursions offered and I don't know the pricing on them or logistics of doing them if you don't have a rental car. A few days of a cheapo rental can quickly add a few hundred bucks in HI so need to sort it all out.

I like the idea of booking it all in one but the price is just out of site compared to figuring it out. If it was a few hundred bucks difference, no problem.

I think its about when your booking also. I booked my cruise tour for July 22, 2015. I locked in my price for everything including airfare so if prices go up in the next 15 months I don't have to worry about it. The only thing I need to worry about is if I start seriously dating someone in that time frame and how I am going to explain going on a 11 day Hawaii adventure without them since I just booked a studio room! :p

Also if I join AARP as an associate member apparently I can obtain the AARP discount; that saves a bit over $250 off the cruisetour price for two. Good info on this thread, will look up some of the mentioned excursions. Don't need a fancy hotel, but something with something interesting as a view is a plus. Open to suggestions.

Yes I use Canadian version CARP and most often get at least 5% off

but I have to agree you can do way better booking on your own by using sites like tripadvisor etc.

For hotels look into Aqua Resorts they have a lot of Boutique Hotels with good reviews.

Seeing that you have booked over a year out will will no doubt see the price rise for the cruise portion. Our NCL Hawaii cruises have always increased from $5oo to $800 per person because NCL is the only line doing this itinerary. If your not looking on NCL u should to track the price.

I am another solo cruiser who has booked a studio on the POA for May. I booked the Park Shore Waikiki for my pre-cruise stay. They do not charge a resort fee, have free wi-fi, and it's directly across the street from the beach. The oceanfront rooms are a little more expensive, but the views look great from the higher floors. It's on the quieter end of Waikiki, near Diamond Head.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app