Time needed to catch train in Venice?

Ubu

We will be arriving on a cruise around 7 am in Venice and thinking of booking the train to Rome at 9:25 am. WE will walk off our luggage as soon as we can and not sure how long it takes to get off the ship and to the train station. Any help would be appreciated as the train ticket is not good if we miss the one we book.

Thanks, Judy

If all goes well you could be at the station w/in 20 minutes after leaving the ship. Hopefully you have only 1 wheeled suitcase.

Catch the People Mover (monorail) from the pier to Piazzale Roma. (1E for a 2 minute ride). From P Roma, you walk about 2 blocks to the Grand Canal, cross a LARGE bridge, go right and follow the canal for a block and you'll be at the station. From PRoma it's about a 7-8 minute walk assuming you can manage your luggage over the bridge.

The trick will be getting to and on the People Mover. Could be quite a wait depending on how many ships are in port.

I'd be more worried about the ship not being on time, or a delay in disembarking.

I would be booking the 10.25am departure tarin to be safe.

If People Mover is overrun you can take a road taxi to Piazzale de Roma (max 10 mins) Get taxi driver to drop you off in the front left hand corner of Piazzale and ten minute walk over bridge (Grand Canal) to St Lucia station on the left . St Lucia Station is whitish marble building with steps leading down to Grand Canal. It has a big FS logo on it .

If you take the People Mover when you come to Ground you will be in the rear right hand corner of Piazzale de Roma. Head for the left hand front side and the footbridge over the Grand Canal . The as above .

If all goes well you could be at the station w/in 20 minutes after leaving the ship. Hopefully you have only 1 wheeled suitcase.

Catch the People Mover (monorail) from the pier to Piazzale Roma. (1E for a 2 minute ride). From P Roma, you walk about 2 blocks to the Grand Canal, cross a LARGE bridge, go right and follow the canal for a block and you'll be at the station. From PRoma it's about a 7-8 minute walk assuming you can manage your luggage over the bridge.

The trick will be getting to and on the People Mover. Could be quite a wait depending on how many ships are in port.

I'd be more worried about the ship not being on time, or a delay in disembarking.

We used the People Mover and carried our luggage over the bridge to get to the rail station. I am in my mid-60s and managed to lug both Dw's large bag as well as mine (50lbs. each) over the bridge. DW took the lighter carry ons.

The bridge does not have a ramp, so you can't drag your bags. Still, after stopping a couple of times, I made it just fine.

Thanks for your help. I am wondering if it can be along process before being allowed to get off the ship. Have only been on ships leaving Venice. We will be packing light and only 1 easy rolling case each.

Judy

Thanks for your help. I am wondering if it can be along process before being allowed to get off the ship. Have only been on ships leaving Venice. We will be packing light and only 1 easy rolling case each.

Judy

you never know. It's kinda like asking ' will the flight arrive on time?" Usually yes, but sometimes there are delays.

We left the ship nice and early (we had overnighted on the ship) and planned to take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma to catch the airport bus for an early flight. It was before 7am and the People Mover wasn't 'open' yet. :eek:

I just took these hours from the web:

Mon – Sat: 7a – 11p

Sun and holidays 8a – 10p (summer), 8:30a – 9p (winter).

Our choice was to either wait 20 minutes or walk to the square in 15. We ended up walking the rest of the way on the sidewalk with our rolling bags and managed just fine. The walk was a nice memory as the sun had just come up and the sky was beautiful. Definitely would have used the People Mover if it had been running!