Change in Service Practices on RCCL

Here's my 2 cents. I think what causes people to lie about their health status upon embarkation is America's super-limited vacation time. With only 2 weeks of PTO most people get, every trip is treated as a do-or-die occasion. The mindset becomes: "if I tell the worker than I'm feeling queasy, they won't let me board, and I won't get to do another cruise for at least a year". The fear of losing rare a opportunity to get away takes precedences over than common courtesy or even keeping oneself healthy.

Europeans, who get up to 6 weeks of vacation time (not PTO, real vacation), won't see losing out on a single trip due to illness as a big deal. If they lose one cruise, another one will come in a few months. This is impossible in America, and probably won't change in my lifetime. But I do think it's one of the root causes why people are cruising when they know they have norovirus or another illness.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Here's my 2 cents. I think what causes people to lie about their health status upon embarkation is America's super-limited vacation time. With only 2 weeks of PTO most people get, every trip is treated as a do-or-die occasion. The mindset becomes: "if I tell the worker than I'm feeling queasy, they won't let me board, and I won't get to do another cruise for at least a year". The fear of losing rare a opportunity to get away takes precedences over than common courtesy or even keeping oneself healthy.

Europeans, who get up to 6 weeks of vacation time (not PTO, real vacation), won't see losing out on a single trip due to illness as a big deal. If they lose one cruise, another one will come in a few months. This is impossible in America, and probably won't change in my lifetime. But I do think it's one of the root causes why people are cruising when they know they have norovirus or another illness.

Sad POV, for sure; yet probably more accurate than anyone wants to admit.

I don't require RCI to do more than they do. I wash my hands frequently and sanitise everywhere. I take responsibility for my own good health. I carry sanitiser with me 24/7. Ashore. As well as on board. It's a fellow passenger's state of hygiene that needs addressing. It would not inconvenience me in the least if they did away with self service buffet.

RCCL can do so much and I'm with you I make sure I wash my hands frequently and my wife carries sanitizer. There's been lots of times where I've seen guys enter the bathroom, then urinate and walk right out without washing their hands. This happens a lot! Some people just don't care about their hygiene or spreading germs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It would be a very big deal, if you were lying in bed in your cabin, instead of enjoying yourself on your cruise.

Uh yeah, I agree... Wash your hands people!!! :)

That's sad and sobering but I definitely agree that there's some truth to it, unfortunately.

Washing your hands is the best defense. The following excerpt came from an article published in the New York Times Jan 14, 2014 issue. They are usually spot on with their info:

Studies show that alcohol-based sanitizers, particularly those with 60 percent ethanol or more, can reduce microbial counts on contaminated hands and reduce the spread of some strains of the flu. But against norovirus, the severe gastrointestinal illness gripping many parts of the country, they may be useless.

Some viruses, like influenza, are coated in lipids, “envelopes” that alcohol can rupture. But non-enveloped viruses, like norovirus, are generally not affected.

Bleach is effective against norovirus, and can be used to decontaminate countertops and surfaces. And for people, the best strategy may be washing hands with plain old soap and water.

In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied 91 long-term care facilities. During the winter of 2006-07, they identified 73 outbreaks, 29 of which were confirmed to be norovirus.

The facilities where staff members used alcohol-based sanitizers, were six times more likely to have an outbreak of norovirus than the facilities where the staff preferred using soap and water.

The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water.

Which is probably why, along with heavy sanitizing, the noro keeps coming back. They are creating super bugs. Stop obsessing about it and enjoy your cruise.

Unfortunately some people become infected in the plane or the airport flying to the cruise. The virus has a two day incubation so one might feel just great when boarding and not show symptoms until a day later.

Let me preface this by saying that the only times I have had norovirus was land based - I had not been on a cruise.

That being said, we were on a ship out of New Orleans that had an outbreak. It was determined that the first two passengers who came down with it were not showing symptoms when they borded but became sick the next day. It was determined that both families stayed in the same hotel in New Orleans before the cruise. We stepped up our own hand washing and enjoyed the crew serving us in Windjammer including both the Captain and Concieirge. Other than that, we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the crew member that immediately cleaned our table when we got up. Bottom line - Wash your hands frequently.

Let me preface this by saying that the only times I have had norovirus was land based - I had not been on a cruise.

That being said, we were on a ship out of New Orleans that had an outbreak. It was determined that the first two passengers who came down with it were not showing symptoms when they borded but became sick the next day. It was determined that both families stayed in the same hotel in New Orleans before the cruise. We stepped up our own hand washing and enjoyed the crew serving us in Windjammer including both the Captain and Concieirge. Other than that, we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the crew member that immediately cleaned our table when we got up. Bottom line - Wash your hands frequently.

agree.

I boarded the Legend in December after a bad breakout and we had to deal with enhanced processes the first few days. Absolutely disastrous trying to get meals in the WJ due to crew serving at the buffet. If they did that with all cruises, I would revolt.

Noro on cruise ship is a very small percentage. Everyone blames cruising for this, but its in so many public places.

People just need to use common sense. Why should the cruise lines refund people who are confined. If you've never had noro you have no idea. you Do NOT Want to leave your bed, let alone the cabin. It knocks you out. If someone brings it onboard why is the cruise line responsible. They tend to your illness, give you medication but they do not charge you for that service but do expect you to listen to their care instructions and stay away from others. A refund? Noro is usually through your system in 24 hours, 48 the most. If not, you've got something else going on.

Lastly, I've sailed on umpteen Royal ships. Early February was my first Disney Cruise where my daughter and I both contracted Noro.