Can you use American $ while in Cozumel?

mamamoes

Yes. Taxi's and most vendors exchange at 10:1, which isn't a very good rate, but easy to calculate and convenient. More established businesses will sometimes exchange at the actual rate. (I know a lot of scuba people will say not to tip a taxi driver if you use dollars, because the tip comes in the form of a bad exchange... but honestly taxi's aren't that pricey compared to other islands, so I still throw a buck or two in.)

For larger purchases, I like to use a credit card- have had no fraud problems in Mexico. Just check what the foreign transaction charge is before you decide which to use.

Edited by skittl1321

Lots of places, including taxis just go ahead and post prices in US Dollars -- I have never had to change dollars into Pesos in Coz. Be sure to bring lots of smaller bills ($1's and $5's) to avoid change making issues.

I have usually seen prices posted in American $$ and always use that to pay for purchases. I try to have lots of small bills so I won't have to get change but my change has always been in dollars. Once I wanted some pesos as a souvenier and they had to go find some to give me as change.

Cash is king in Mexico, especially places like Cozumel...

Bring USDollars in the smaller denominations (1s and 5s), that way you don't risk getting a bunch of change back in pesos and Mexican dolares that you can't use.

Every store will have signs that say so many $ US AND so many pesos. In the tourist areas US dollars are almost exclusive. You wont see many pesos anywhere except as change because the short change you that way. Most taxis dont have meters they just quote fares ( ask in advance ) fares will be quoted in dollars unless you ask in fluent mexican spanish.

Most taxis dont have meters they just quote fares ( ask in advance ) fares will be quoted in dollars unless you ask in fluent mexican spanish.

Taxis in Cozumel are not metered. Rates are set by the government, and your taxi driver should have a fare sheet (though they are sometimes reluctant to show them to you!) Rates are posted at the cruise port too.

If your day is planned, know what the rate is, and insist on paying it. Some drivers will try to charge you more. Just tell them you know the rate, and give them what is due (though do make sure you know the current rate!)

If you happen to have pesos, even if they quote in dollars, pesos are a better deal (you can even pay in a mix of pesos and dollars if you don't have enough pesos). Taxis exchange 10:1, not a good deal. But for a day cruiser, it isn't really worth getting pesos unless your bank exchanges without a fee or you happen to have a few.

Edited by skittl1321

Just out of curiosity....what is a good exchange rate.

Thanks

The current exchange rate is 1:13.14 on the markets. You'll get close to that if you use a credit card, because your bank charges very close to the current rate. You probably can't use a card from a vendor set up on a blanket on a street- but at a restaurant, it might be a wiser choice (check if yours charges a fee- some of ours do, some don't)

There will be a few shops that change their exchange rate daily to match the current one. Most places just do 1:10, which hasn't been near the rate in years; but it makes it really easy to figure out what you'll pay, since you can just move the decimal place on whatever they list.

The current exchange rate is 1:13.14 on the markets. You'll get close to that if you use a credit card, because your bank charges very close to the current rate. You probably can't use a card from a vendor set up on a blanket on a street- but at a restaurant, it might be a wiser choice (check if yours charges a fee- some of ours do, some don't)

There will be a few shops that change their exchange rate daily to match the current one. Most places just do 1:10, which hasn't been near the rate in years; but it makes it really easy to figure out what you'll pay, since you can just move the decimal place on whatever they list.

Thanks for the info that is a significant difference. So can you insist that you get the current rate from the vendors? If not I guess we have to chalk it down to the cost of doing business within the constraints of the shopping areas.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info that is a significant difference. So can you insist that you get the current rate from the vendors? If not I guess we have to chalk it down to the cost of doing business within the constraints of the shopping areas.

The simplest and easiest method is to price everything in dollars -- most of the prices for cabs, meals, drinks, and products will be displayed in US Dollars, especially in the tourist stores. If it is worth $10 to you do not worry about how many pesos that translates to.

You can often bargain price, but not the exchange rate if it is a set price. Some places (like chankanaab use the current rate)

For most people it won't make that much of a difference. But if you plan to shop heavily, I prefer a credit card or even pesos.

You can often bargain price, but not the exchange rate if it is a set price. Some places (like chankanaab use the current rate)

For most people it won't make that much of a difference. But if you plan to shop heavily, I prefer a credit card or even pesos.

Thanks. ...that was what I wanted to know, just wanted to confirm if the rate was negotiable. Since its not., it's no big deal.