I really wanted to love Carnival.

ccarpenter1963

I don't like for people who don't know me to call me by my first name. Am I the only one on this board who does not?

This makes me laugh because I have a last name that is usually mangled by everyone, so when a cs phone rep asks if it's okay to call me by my first name, I'm totally like "YES!!!" because it gets to be painful hearing people trying to not mangle your name. The cashiers at the grocery store always try to end the transaction with some version of "Thank you Mrs. ...." followed by a pause while they look at the name on the receipt and figure out the best way to tackle it. I appreciate the effort, but I really don't need to be addressed by name THAT bad for the routine grocery trip.

When we first started cruising with our children, we told them point-blank that the people who work on the ship are NOT slaves, they are hard-working people with families who deserve respect and courtesy. From day one their mother and I have taught them to ALWAYS say "please", "thank you", "excuse me", and, most importantly, "I apologize".

You bring up some great points. If only everybody would treat each other with respect and courtesy, the world would be a lot better place.

My wife and I kid that courtesy and admitting you are wrong seems to be a sign of weakness in todays society. How many people do you encounter day to day who just can't admit they are wrong. None of us are perfect, we are all wrong sooner or later.

I have 2 short premium line cruises under my belt....the new special huge RCCL ones I sooo look forward to as the Cream of the mass market crop...

In all..the levels of "fancy" and service have changed as someone else said and the choice is huge out there but sorry that you like the OP had a service experience that stood out as not ok for you. What you describe would not be for me either.

I think/hope there must/will be a chance to move up and stand out with all the increase in berths out there as employees and all the options the cuiselines with passengers and employees have to make it a win/win out there.

Thanks OP for your comments truly...take what fits from everything offered here and leave the rest..just like figuring out if cruising and what line and ship on that line... is for you and I will say it again..bring in customer service you have a keen eye on what to expect and what is or is not tolerable day to day, this makes you a good critic for what is ok and realistic at many levels of service i am sure and when it adds up enough to keep overlooking it ...well it does not add to your vacation or new experience to say the least...Sarah

I came back to check this thread to see if my point was clear. It wasn't and my post is gone so I'm glad you quoted me. I thought I was going crazy. I don't think I was being offensive.

My point was supposed to be :rolleyes: (at myself) That you can have service issues on any cruiseline. I wouldn't want the OP to assume that her poor service experience was simply a Carnival thing. But, if you look at the cruise as a whole, it can be a wonderful experience despite crappy service.

OP sorry your first cruise was not up to par.

I will say this, I LOVE the Fantasy. I've cruised on her a half dozen times. I'm partial to the smaller ships. I've cruised on the larger ships as well and have enjoyed my cruises on them. I haven't met a cruise I have enjoyed if it gets me away from home for a bit and takes me to the islands! :D

That being said, I agree with the previous poster, I would not have recommended the Fantasy to a newbie for their first cruise. I cruise her because she is an older vessel with not as much action going on as most of the larger ships. She's my relaxation vessel. It's my opinion that the older ships have the, how should I say it... not the cream of the crop personel on them I guess you could say. The employess with the best record/feedback get upgraded to the newer, larger ships, IMO. Sorta like when the CD's get "promoted" and score a spot on a "grander" ship. Like Matt, now that he's been "promoted" from the CD for the Glory to the CD on the Breeze sometime this summer.

Anyway, you may have more of your expectations met on a more newer/larger ship... so don't give up on cruising! :)