Do we have time to go to Denali?

stilley9

Seward is BEAUTIFUL and a number of things are available there, plus the scenery along the drive AND at Seward is beautiful as well.

There is a magnificent aquarium there and you can book not only short cruises of Resurrection Bay but also there's a MAGNIFICENT helicopter ride up to Godwin glacier where you can ride on dogsleds and visit the dogs.

It's not all crowded (as are those from the cruise ships) because it's out of a small town. I can't recommend that activity too highly. (PLUS, they often have a Groupon offer which is 2 for 1...........).

I'm up there allmost every summer and like to rent a car, spend a couple of nights in Seward, return the car to Anchorage and just "jump onto" the bus which takes us down to Whittier. If your ship leaves from Seward you can do the same thing.

If you have a train transfer..........same thing.

Seward is BEAUTIFUL and a number of things are available there, plus the scenery along the drive AND at Seward is beautiful as well.

There is a magnificent aquarium there and you can book not only short cruises of Resurrection Bay but also there's a MAGNIFICENT helicopter ride up to Godwin glacier where you can ride on dogsleds and visit the dogs.

It's not all crowded (as are those from the cruise ships) because it's out of a small town. I can't recommend that activity too highly. (PLUS, they often have a Groupon offer which is 2 for 1...........).

I'm up there allmost every summer and like to rent a car, spend a couple of nights in Seward, return the car to Anchorage and just "jump onto" the bus which takes us down to Whittier. If your ship leaves from Seward you can do the same thing.

If you have a train transfer..........same thing.

Thank you everyone. I've gotten some great advice here. I think we're going to follow your advice (as well as Budget Queen's advice :) ) and not try to do too much in a short time. So far, all I've done is rented the 2 cars we will need. We'll pick them up from the airport, spend the night somewhere close by, then set off for Seward Sunday Morning.

I'm going to look at the wildlife boat tour at Kenai Fjords on Sunday, spend the night somewhere in Seward, and then Monday we'll make our way to Whittier.

(I'm also going to evaluate this helicopter sled dog adventure you mention because that sounds awesome as well).

I'm left with a couple questions (and again grateful for everyone's help):

1) For the Kenai Fjords tour, any particular tour you recommend? I see Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours. I was trying to find one in the toursaver book, but it's only the 6 pm cruise if I'm looking at it right.

2) When we get to Whittier is there advantages of doing a glacier tour from there? I read that the Prince William Sound tours are nice, but I'm not sure if that's going to be practically the same thing we saw in Seward (Sorry if that's a dumb question).

Anything else we shouldn't miss - either between Anchorage and Seward, or between Seward and Whittier? We'll have a full day Sunday, and until about 7 pm on Monday so plenty of time.

Thanks again!

1)

Thank you everyone. I've gotten some great advice here. I think we're going to follow your advice (as well as Budget Queen's advice :) ) and not try to do too much in a short time. So far, all I've done is rented the 2 cars we will need. We'll pick them up from the airport, spend the night somewhere close by, then set off for Seward Sunday Morning.

I'm going to look at the wildlife boat tour at Kenai Fjords on Sunday, spend the night somewhere in Seward, and then Monday we'll make our way to Whittier.

(I'm also going to evaluate this helicopter sled dog adventure you mention because that sounds awesome as well).

I'm left with a couple questions (and again grateful for everyone's help):

1) For the Kenai Fjords tour, any particular tour you recommend? I see Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours. I was trying to find one in the toursaver book, but it's only the 6 pm cruise if I'm looking at it right.

2) When we get to Whittier is there advantages of doing a glacier tour from there? I read that the Prince William Sound tours are nice, but I'm not sure if that's going to be practically the same thing we saw in Seward (Sorry if that's a dumb question).

Anything else we shouldn't miss - either between Anchorage and Seward, or between Seward and Whittier? We'll have a full day Sunday, and until about 7 pm on Monday so plenty of time.

Thanks again!

1)

those are the two major companies for Kenai Fjords out of Seward. Major Marine is not participating in the coupon offers for longer Kenai Fjords this year. I have gone with both and certainly both very well run and worthwhile. There is NO similarity better any boat tour, even going out on the "same" will offer a very different trip and what you see. :) With the Prince William sound tours, the glaciers are the priority, with Kenai fjords it's the wildlife, only a small portion is a glacier view- which certainly is wonderful. With Major Marine this is usually the meal stop. So, yes. in my opinion, both boat tours are excellent choices. I always do both every time I'm in the area. :)

There is plenty to see and do along the Seward Highway, lots of stops along the Arm, Crow Creek Mine, if interested in panning, Alyeska tram that gives amazing views, Portage Glacier Visitor Center which is informative, and anywhere else you wish for an extended look. I would suggest adding at least 2 hours to the drive anyway, if no activities.

I am assuming you have rented one way Anchorage/Whittier cars with Avis? If you are taking a Prince William Sound boat tour, getting through the 11:30a tunnel will be more than enough time to turn the car in and get to your boat tour. Avis is on the left just past the ship.

I am assuming you have rented one way Anchorage/Whittier cars with Avis? If you are taking a Prince William Sound boat tour, getting through the 11:30a tunnel will be more than enough time to turn the car in and get to your boat tour. Avis is on the left just past the ship.

Yes, booked the one way from ANC/Whittier thru Avis. Wildlife is definitely the priority of my children (8 and 5) and the grandparents would love to see glaciers, so maybe we'll do both tours. I'm a little worried about the possibility of seasickness after reading this forum, either from the children or the grandparents... will have to think about that, when planning 2 consecutive day boat tours. Hmmm....

If the weather isn't good for a day cruise, there are plenty of other sights and activies for your family. Suggested stopping points in these links.... gold panning, wildlife conservation center, Portage Lake Visitor center, Potters Marsh, etc. There are several pulloffs where you might spot dall sheep on the cliffs, or moose.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

Yes, booked the one way from ANC/Whittier thru Avis. Wildlife is definitely the priority of my children (8 and 5) and the grandparents would love to see glaciers, so maybe we'll do both tours. I'm a little worried about the possibility of seasickness after reading this forum, either from the children or the grandparents... will have to think about that, when planning 2 consecutive day boat tours. Hmmm....

You need to take precautions, as I always suggest, consult your health care professional for the best advice.

I had my nephews with me 2012 and had them take something, even though no history, because I have seen it all with sick people, every trip. The trip we were on, had probably 20% of the boat sick with a constant line of gloved staff cleaning up. Of course, we enjoyed our trip without incident. Again, prevention is my only suggestion. Once the motion sickness hits, time stands still. I've seen some people sick the entire trip. What a shame. The tour is so excellent to even consider taking a chance in my opinion.

Budget Queen's recommendation for checking with your medical provider is good. At the Major Marine Kenai Fjords cruise check-in counter they have little packages of Meclizine (or something similar) and packages of ginger candy. There was a very sick young mother on our boat, and my husband shared one of the Meclizine tablets and a couple pieces of candy with her, and we later saw her up and about, smiling again.

The food on the Major Marine cruise is excellent (as is the crew). I'd do that cruise again any time.