Meeting place at Heathrow

Jocru

We are three couples arriving at Heathrow airport on three different flights within 20 minutes of each other if the planes are on time. I believe we will be arriving at terminal 4 and Terminal 5. Is there an easy and convenient place for us to meet? It has been several years since any of us has arrived at Heathrow and we do not know what to expect. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

We are three couples arriving at Heathrow airport on three different flights within 20 minutes of each other if the planes are on time. I believe we will be arriving at terminal 4 and Terminal 5. Is there an easy and convenient place for us to meet?
Can you please tell us which are the relevant flights? And where are you going after that?

For example, if you are all going to stay in the same London hotel pre-cruise, I think that the best meeting place may well be in your hotel reception.

Knowing all the details helps to give an answer, given that for these purposes Heathrow could be regarded as four fairly large airports that aren't very far away from each other.

Thank you for helping. Sorry that I left out some details. Two couples will be arriving at Terminal 5 on Aug.24 on British Air flight 66 at 6:20 am from Philadelphia (PHL). The third couple will be arriving at Terminal 2 at 6:45 am on Lufthansa flight 7628 from Newark (EWR) the same morning. I found the two meeting places in Terminal 5 but did not find ones for Terminal 2. Would a common meeting point for the two terminals be inside or outside of security? We will be taking a transport to Ipswich then going on to Harwich for a cruise.

Edited by Jocru

Thank you for helping. Sorry that I left out some details. Two couples will be arriving at Terminal 5 on Aug.24 on British Air flight 66 at 6:20 am from Philadelphia (PHL). The third couple will be arriving at Terminal 2 at 6:45 am on Lufthansa flight 7628 from Newark (EWR) the same morning. I found the two meeting places in Terminal 5 but did not find ones for Terminal 2. Would a common meeting point for the two terminals be inside or outside of security? We will be taking a transport to Ipswich then going on to Harwich for a cruise.

Well, first off, the flight from EWR is operated by United (Lufthansa codeshare) - relevant for checking it (they will check in with United) and if you're looking for the flight info on the screens at LHR as they may or may not have the LH codeshare indicated.

Personally, I think I would have the third couple meet you at T5. The meeting points should be outside security.

Would a common meeting point for the two terminals be inside or outside of security?
It has to be outside security. Once you've touched your luggage, you're basically outside security and the only way onwards is through customs and then on into the public area.

I agree with Twickenham that the best place to meet is in Terminal 5, simply because more of you are arriving there. When the T5 arrivals exit from customs, they will be pretty much facing a large open-plan branch of Costa Coffee. Find a table and colonise it while you wait for the T2 arrivals to get over to T5.

For them to do that by the official airport-provided transfer, they need to follow the signs for the Heathrow Express. When they get to the train platform, they need a train for T5. This is free in standard class, so there's no need for them to stop to buy a ticket. When they get out of the train at T5, they have two options. They can take the lift (elevator). I think that in normal operation, this will automatically take them to the top floor (departures/check-in) before returning to the ground floor (arrivals). This is pre-programmed and cannot be overridden, and they just need to go with the flow and remember not to get out at check-in. Alternatively, they can use the escalators up to the ground floor, but only if they are skilled with negotiating escalators while manhandling luggage. In either case, when they enter the building at ground floor level, they need to turn right towards international arrivals and that Costa Coffee.

If the T5 arriving flight is delayed, then the T2 arrivals should task themselves with colonising a table there.

Since you mention that it's been awhile since you were at Heathrow, just want to also mention that as non-EUs traveling in August, when all of Europe is on holiday, you may find The Arrivals Hall quite backed up on any given morning. Busiest time of the day, in the busiest airport in Europe...busiest month of the year...as non-EU. Prepare to wait a bit. It could be a ghost town, but that's unlikely.

Sit tight in Costa Coffee after walking a fair amount, and enjoy those delicious baked goods as you all make your way in!

Bon voyage.

I recommend having a Plan B that everyone agrees to in case one of the flights has a huge delay.

For example, my last flight from Chicago to Heathrow left 8 hours late due to a mechanical problem.

Edited by D4

I recommend having a Plan B that everyone agrees to in case one of the flights has a huge delay.

For example, my last flight from Chicago to Heathrow left 8 hours late due to a mechanical problem.

That is always good advice. Several times, Mrs FT has been on a different flight than mine. We establish a meeting point and a "fail-safe" time. If either one of us hasn't shown by that pre-determined time, we head to the alternate, which is almost always our hotel. Saves trouble when you don't have phones that work at your destination - both sides know how long to wait and when to go.