Not really understanding cabin categories

2manyanimals

This is our second cruise. The first was Conquest and in October the Dream.

I understand about cabin types what I don't understand what the numbers and letters stand for. Also wht is a guarantee room. I thought when you made a booking you are guaranteed that room.

Hope I didn't really confuse anyone as much as I am.

Diane

Hi Diane and welcome to Cruise Critic. Your questions didn't throw us off at all. Many new cruisers are confused with those things. Personally, the category means nothing to us. We just pick the cabin we want and tell whomever we're dealing with where we want to be. It could be XYZ for all we care as long as we get the cabin we want.

The cabin category deals with what type of cabin it is such as Inside, Balcony, Extended Balcony, etc. The letters tell what area it is in. As an example, on the Victory, Panorama Deck a 4H is an interior cabin. A 4J is an interior cabin with a window - meaning it's at the front of the ship. An 8E is a Balcony cabin, and an 8F is a Balcony cabin, just in a different area.

As for a guarantee, no you don't pick the cabin you want. That's costs more if you do. With a guarantee, you pick the category you want, then close to the cruise date, they pick your cabin for you. You might wind up under the galley or over a disco. You take a chance when you book a guarantee.

Edited by RWolver672

Guarantee room...leaves it a bit open...it just guarantees you'll get that basic Class/Level of room...but it doesn't guarantee and exact location....where if you pick an exact room Type and Location...well....then that's the room you will get!

As for all those numbers and letters...its room type and location! The lower the number....the cheaper the room and normally like...you know and inside cabin on the lower decks...as you move up in the numbers...it becomes a different class of room...i.e., Ocean View, Balcony, Suite.....and the like for instance...it might be a Balcony Room...and those maybe listed as 7A, 7B, 7C - 8A, 8B, 8C...etc. etc. Well...the higher the number and the closest to the front of the alphabet...the better the room...basically...just location! Meaning a Balcony 8A...is going to have a great view, center ship, high floor...where a Balcony 7C...will be on a lower deck...and maybe it even has a partially obstructed view!

That's the gest of the system!

They say that the higher you are, the better the cabin. I disagree. I'd prefer a lower deck with less movement in bad seas. Our favorite cabin is a Cove Balcony which is on deck 2. You're right down near the water and away from all the noise. I have no desire to be up near the Lido deck, too crowded and too loud.

I have been on 7 cruises and still have no clue what the numbers mean. Just as long as I have a balcony that's all I care. You can number it anything you like.

But not all balconies are equal! You could end up in an Obstructed view and some of those are horrible views of a lifeboat! Others can have a set of stairs next to them going from one deck to another with people able to look into your cabin.

Guarantee room...leaves it a bit open...it just guarantees you'll get that basic Class/Level of room...but it doesn't guarantee and exact location....where if you pick an exact room Type and Location...well....then that's the room you will get!

As for all those numbers and letters...its room type and location! The lower the number....the cheaper the room and normally like...you know and inside cabin on the lower decks...as you move up in the numbers...it becomes a different class of room...i.e., Ocean View, Balcony, Suite.....and the like for instance...it might be a Balcony Room...and those maybe listed as 7A, 7B, 7C - 8A, 8B, 8C...etc. etc. Well...the higher the number and the closest to the front of the alphabet...the better the room...basically...just location! Meaning a Balcony 8A...is going to have a great view, center ship, high floor...where a Balcony 7C...will be on a lower deck...and maybe it even has a partially obstructed view!

That's the gest of the system!

You actually have it backwards on the letters. The farther from the front of the alphabet...the better the room (by the Cruise Line's standard. ;))

Using the Conquest class balconies as an example: the balconies are category 8. A is on the lowest level that has balconies (deck 6) and are far forward or aft. B starts on deck 6 but mid ship AND on deck 7 forward and aft. C starts on Deck 7 mid ship and so forth. The higher the deck - the higher the letter (until you hit the letters that represent extended balconies, spa cabins, etc). Therefore an 8C is on a higher deck than an 8A.

In addition, 7C is used on the Dream class only and those are the Cove balconies. 7A is used on the Spirit class and are obstructed with the lifeboat in front of the balcony. There is not a 7B. Several of the classes use 9 as a balcony category and these are the ones with a premium balcony.

Edited by ferfoodle

1- Inside Upper and Lower

4- Inside

6- Ocean View

7- Obstructed Balcony

8- Balcony

9- Suites

The letters A-K start at the bottom and work their way up--

ie 4A will be an inside cabin on the lowest passenger deck fore and aft

4B will be an IS cabin middle of the lowest passenger deck then the fore aft sections of the next deck.

Not all ships have all the numbers or letters.

ie 7As Obstructed Balconies and 4Ks Inside (French Door) are only on the Spirit class ships.

This is our second cruise. The first was Conquest and in October the Dream.

I understand about cabin types what I don't understand what the numbers and letters stand for. Also wht is a guarantee room. I thought when you made a booking you are guaranteed that room.

Hope I didn't really confuse anyone as much as I am.

Diane

A guarantee cabin is typically associated with a "Pack and Go" rate, i.e., a last minute deal. You purchase a category, such as inside, oceanview, balcony, or suite, and then Carnival picks your cabin with the understanding that you are guaranteed at least the category you booked. In exchange for letting Carnival pick your cabin, you get a lower fare.

The term "guarantee" does not have any significance otherwise. It only pertains to a booking where you agree to let Carnival pick your cabin. That is designated as a Pack and Go booking. So if you make a booking where you pick your specific cabin, guarantee means nothing to your booking.

Hope that helps.

Edited by winddawn

A guarantee cabin is typically associated with a "Pack and Go" rate, i.e., a last minute deal. You purchase a category, such as inside, oceanview, balcony, or suite, and then Carnival picks your cabin with the understanding that you are guaranteed at least the category you booked. In exchange for letting Carnival pick your cabin, you get a lower fare.

You can get a guarantee rate any time. They are available as soon as a cruise is listed.

Edited by RWolver672

Guarantee = Guaranteed to get *at least* that category.

As the departure date nears, more and more cabin assignments are firmed up. People upgrade to a better location, category or type, and others fail to make final payment or cancel for some other reason.

After all the firm assignments are made, those with guarantees are lined up in priority -- probably based on a combination of the number of people on the booking and the $$ paid.

That is, if there are only 5 cabins left that sleep 4 people, groups of 4 get assigned first, with the higher paying guests assigned first. Then the system works through the 3's, and 2's until sections are filled.

Full sections are preferred... room stewards pay depends on the number of guests paying gratuities, so they definitely want that.

As everyone shifts 'up', the last remaining cabins are usually the least desirable, for whatever reason.

It's reasonable to believe that when sections have fewer occupied cabins, the stewards assignments may vary; those with fewer occupied rooms might be sent to do other tasks like inventory or loading their supply closets.

1. Go to Carnival.com

2. Click on “Explore”

3. Click on “Our Ships”

4. Click on “Carnival Dream”

5. Click on “Deck Plans”

6. Pick any deck. There is a “Stateroom Category Legend” on the upper right side of the

page.

7. Pick a stateroom on the deck plan. Click on that stateroom. A description of that

particular stateroom pops, up along with a picture.

8. It is a lot of fun to check out the staterooms and dream of the possibilities.:)