Taking trekking poles?

skoi13

We'll be leaving for an Alaska cruise shortly and plan to hike in one of the ports. Any idea if we'd be restricted from packing a pair of trekking poles in checked bags, and/or getting them back onto the ship in port?

Thanks in advance.

I have telescoping poles that I've taken on three different cruises. No problem in the checked baggage, no problem getting on and off the ship with them. Got some strange looks on the Great Wall of China though. :)

I have two things- trekking poles and a collapsible walking stick. For most cruises I take the collapsible walking stick because it's obviously easier to pack, but for Alaska I took the trekking poles. I put on the soft rubber tips and actually carried them on the plane, and stored them in the overhead, then changed tips once on the ship. No issue with either the plane or the ship.

I have never had any issues with my "TARGUS TG-MP6710". It is a Collapsible Digital Camera/Camcorder Monopod (doubles as a walking stick), in the airports. It extends to 67 Inches and I have used it for several years. They are available at Walmart! On our cruise to Hawaii, I could have sold 15 or more if I had them. :eek: They work great. :D