Artificial Nails

rlkubi

To get them healthy let them breathe. No polish for awhile. Take Biotin and vitamin E. Keep them short until they regain their strength. Instead of polish use a buffer to keep them shiny.

They will come back but it will take time. After taking off my acrylic nails it took almost 2 years before mine were healthy enough to grow longer, but I found by that time I liked them shorter so that's how I wear them now.

• 2 months later...

I have had thin, weak nails for as long as I can remember and used to have tips and or acrylics put on/filled in every two weeks. Finally I started trying to grow my own out and stopped going to the salon. I now take biotin (as someone else suggested) and I purchased an LED home gel polish system by Mally Beauty. It takes a bit longer than a regular polish but my nails are not harmed in the process and the gel polish keeps them strong. I just did a gel polish Friday night and through washing dishes, typing at work, doing laundry and washing my hands a lot no chips, no broken nails and they look as good as they did Friday night.

I second the vote for Nailtiques. I used their "After Acrylic" formula and was stunned at how quickly they got stronger. Then I started using Formula 2. I'm playing with Vinylux polish right now and loving it. it's just starting to peel and chip a bit on day 7. That's fine with me, as I'm tired of the color anyway. this is something I can take on my cruise and redo my nails when I want to, or need to. Two coats of color, one of topcoat. NO BASE COAT. It' comes off with regular acetone remover, which I am taking in the individual wipe packets.

I actually had to shorten my nails yesterday, which is probably why the polish gave it up today.

I have been wearing acrylics for over 30 years. A couple years ago when shellacs came out my hairdresser convinced me to take the acrylics off and try the shellac on my real nails. Surprisingly my real nails were really stron until they got the to a nice length to shape and then it was a no go. I hated the hassle and had the acrylics put back on. Now I have the acrylics and I still have her use the Opi version of shellac on them too, but that is because they stay shinny so long and they are dry in no time at all with the lamps.

I have a manicure (fill) every two weeks and a pedicure ever 4 weeks and I have the shellac on the toes too because you walk out of the shop as soon as she is done with dry nails.

It is a lot less hassle for me than to try and do it myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had acrylic for years. Natural nails since January of this yr. I always thought I had crappy, short nails that were made worse by the acrylic.

A few months back I started using "Pink Armor" on my nails and I seriously couldn't believe how quickly my nails grew... And they are STRONG! I think it cost about $10 at CVS... so worth it though.

• 2 months later...

I have thin nails, and no matter how careful I am, I can not get them all to a nice length for a cruise.

So about two years ago I started getting the gel nails. I was thrilled with them.. not only did I finally have long nails, but they were strong enough to allow me to continue doing my usual crafts.

Then a couple of months ago I was introduced to SNS nails. It is amazingl I have the same long nails, but I do not have to get a lot of fileing, especially in the nail beds. They do not allow water to get under them as you get to the "they need filling" stage. They are closer to a natural nail thickness than the gel nails.

And the whole process is actually good for your nails.

Anyone looking for false nail help, need to look into them. It is signaturenailsystem dot com. And if you search on youtube, you will see demos on how they go on.

I did not think it could get any better than gel nails, but I was wrong.:D

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app