After cruise motion problems /rocking.

Out of over 40 cruises this has only happened a few times. Our first cruise was the worst. It was a week in rough water before reaching our first South Pacific port. Walking down the gangway, I would dip and sway as if we were still on rough water. I don't get seasick but sure felt land sick. Most cruises are without any mal de debarquement. The last cruise was the first in year because I'd been ill. I had a slight case of it then. We go again in a three weeks. It will be interesting to see if it was a one time deal or will happen again. I'm going to try some of the suggestions listed to see if they help if it does come back.

Edited by Grannycb

Daughter experienced it badly after our first cruise, which was rough Her research showed that "head-turners" are more vulnerable - that is people who tend to turn their heads toward people who are talking - say around a dinner table.

I just can't figure out how that is useful. You're supposed to stop the habit of a lifetime all of a sudden????

So if I just keep my "head on straight" I'll be right? ;)

I'll make a point to come back and report whether or not I get this sensation again when I return from our cruise.

Could be interesting to note whether it IS sea conditions or cabin location or whatever that makes a difference. Could be just a random thing too.

I also DID experience it slightly when we reached the islands...probably the last island, so really it only took about 6 days of cruising before the land rocking began.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise yesterday.

The weather was not great but surprisingly, with all that wind, the ship was amazingly steady with hardly any rocking/movement at all. There were a few odd days, and not even for the full day where you were aware of the motion of the ship but for the most part it was pretty calm.

I'm VERY happy to report that now that I'm back on land I've experienced almost NO land sickness... I feel ever so slightly affected, in that I'm sensing a very slight issue with what I perceive as very minor dizziness and last night in bed I did get a slight sensation of being gently rocked to sleep, but nothing at all like the last cruise.

So, maybe it does depend on how rocky it gets on a cruise as to how quickly you adjust or are affected.

I'm pleased anyway. This means I can take future cruises and not worry so much about getting back to land. :)

My wife has the dizziness after cruises and she continues to take Bonine for a few days after we get home. It seems to help her get over it.

I have experienced it a couple of times but it doesn't last long. The worst part is when I go grocery shopping and wobble down the aisles pushing the cart. They probably think I tipped a few too many !!

Guess I'd better be prepared, in case it happens to me.

After my stroke, I had to learn NOT to be a "head turner". If I turn me head quickly, the room spins for several minutes. If I quickly turn me head while walking, I'm likely to fall to the ground.

After a long flight, I always get rocking symptoms that night.

This August will be my first cruise in open seas. From what I read here, sounds like I should bring a cane when in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes....I get this too. I am prone to sea sickness, so I take Bonine (Meclazine) 2 days prior so it's in my system.....every day of the cruise....then 2 days after for the land sickness. By then, I'm fine.

Oddly enough....if we go listen to a live band.....I walk like I'm drunk afterward. I don't usually drink alcohol, so not that. I think it has something to do with the loud music, feeling the percussion, and my ears. It's gone by morning.

Just off a cruise yesterday and head is spinning a bit! Our last day's weather was a bit rough. Not really bad, but the ship was rolling around some! I hope it doesn't last long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums