Thomson being marketed to Canadians

This is quite irritating!! Looks like we are being ripped off. Has anyone had the nerve to ask a Thomson TA for a price match with this offer?:D

We were thinking about a Thomson resort holiday for summer 2015 and a winter 2016 Thomson Caribbean cruise. On principle we might take our custom elsewhere.

It grieves me. I love (loved?) the Thomson product but feel the powers that be are misjudging their customer base in the UK. Changes can be good but changes which are to the detriment of their passengers will only be tolerated for so long. Everyone reaches a tipping point eventually and so many are making similar comments Len that I think Thomson may rue the day!

p.s. Good find Grez - bet they weren't expecting us to see that!

Edited by kruzseeka

And as everyone is talking on here and on FB about booking cruises at the last minute to get a cheaper holiday, perhaps if Thomson are filling the ship up with Canadians there will be no last minute bargains!

Also, I'm not sure about this, but would Americans be able to travel to Toronto to catch a plane and then be able to visit Cuba?

Yes we were told the Canadians can get in but not Americans - although there was a hint that US citizens were getting round it by flying out from Canada (no US flights to Cuba) but I'm not sure how that would work because surely they still have a US passport :confused:

But suffice to say Cuba is not on the usual tourist trail for Americans - and being so close you can imagine how popular it would be if it was! I think Havana's charm is that it hasn't had the US make-over style of port shopping etc you see so often in the Caribbean. It would be such a shame if that were to happen!

P.S. Just Googled this - so it is possible but with restrictions.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/cuba/a/How-To-Travel-To-Cuba-If-You-Are-An-American.htm

Not the same as multiple huge cruise ships descending on the city! I would be so sad to see this happen to Havana but I do concede that is a little selfish as we have been fortunate to be able to visit on a UK ship. But I think for a lot of places too many ships do spoil things - but having said that if they weren't allowing so many ships in then it would become more select - and expensive. Then I wouldn't have gone to such places at all! :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Toronto!! My fiance and I just booked our Sunwing/Thomson Cruise package for over Christmas. We wanted a cruise so we could stop visit different ports and not be stuck sitting on a beach for a week. The Sunwing/Thomson package was unbeatable compared to the other big cruise lines. As we have never experienced the Thomson product we were a little apprehensive with our booking, especially after reading some not so flattering reviews. However, we're easy going and decided to book.

There are two flights from Toronto for the trip. That's around 400 people from Toronto on the cruise. (assuming they sell at capacity) I assume the rest of the ship will be Brits? I hope the language barrier isn't an issue. :-)

Cheers

hi guys...welcome to thomsons

and congratulations on booking your thomsons adventure:cool:

any questions ? fire away we're here to help

.....shouldn't be any language issues (unless there is lot of people from somerset on board):D

Greetings from Toronto!!

There are two flights from Toronto for the trip. That's around 400 people from Toronto on the cruise. (assuming they sell at capacity) I assume the rest of the ship will be Brits? I hope the language barrier isn't an issue. :-)

Cheers

I do not know for certain but would strongly believe that the two flights will mainly comprise of people going on a beach or other holiday from those two flights rather than the cruise itself. All announcements I expect will be in English only. I don't think any of the entertainment team will speak much if any French !!!

hi guys...welcome to thomsons

and congratulations on booking your thomsons adventure:cool:

any questions ? fire away we're here to help

.....shouldn't be any language issues (unless there is lot of people from somerset on board):D

Oi! Some of us talk proper in Somerset

All announcements I expect will be in English only. I don't think any of the entertainment team will speak much if any French !!!

As Toronto is in the English speaking part of Canada, I doubt there would be any need to be speaking French.

Americans are travel restricted when it comes to visiting Cuba. What many Americans do is travel to Canada and then from there they go to Cuba where the Cuban authorities obligingly don't stamp their passports. Could it be that Thomson are trying to tap into that American market too?

Americans are travel restricted when it comes to visiting Cuba. What many Americans do is travel to Canada and then from there they go to Cuba where the Cuban authorities obligingly don't stamp their passports. Could it be that Thomson are trying to tap into that American market too?

That was my thinking, too. :rolleyes: See my comment on *29 :)

Referring to the language barrier comment I had wondered whether the poster had meant that some people may transfer internally to Toronto from Montreal etc !!

I should imagine djg's comment about a language barrier was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else.

British sense of humor. Britain may not exist after September:).

I still don't like the idea of being on a cruise with people who I know have paid considerably less for it.

Where are the Thomson spies now??? Please comment Thomson. You've sold us down the river.

I'd rather Canadians give us info on cheaper holidays in Canada than bleeding us for information on cruises we've paid over the odds for. Will they tip us for this info!!!!!

Hope the food, entertainment & atmosphere etc. on the Thomson's cruises are not affected too much. If so then its Fed & P&O.

As you may tell from my tone I'm not too pleased but Thomson can do what they like.

British sense of humor. Britain may not exist after September:).

I still don't like the idea of being on a cruise with people who I know have paid considerably less for it.

Where are the Thomson spies now??? Please comment Thomson. You've sold us down the river.

I'd rather Canadians give us info on cheaper holidays in Canada than bleeding us for information on cruises we've paid over the odds for. Will they tip us for this info!!!!!

Hope the food, entertainment & atmosphere etc. on the Thomson's cruises are not affected too much. If so then its Fed & P&O.

As you may tell from my tone I'm not too pleased but Thomson can do what they like.

I think that Thomson are going to lose a lot of loyal passengers, not that they seem to care. There has been a lot of discussion about this on FB groups how people are becoming discontented with the way they are treating early bookers by reducing the costs so significantly to people who are booking later.

We are on the Dream later this year but it will be our last time for a while with Thomson; I am no longer going to pay their over-inflated prices when they are virtually giving them away if you book late. They should reduce the prices to encourage early bookings to make it more fair.......

We shall be 'jumping ship' from now on & trying other lines & holidays - there's nothing wrong with change.

:)

Totally agree Jules.

We are trying P&O in January 2015. I think we are jinxed. After booking P&O they changed their fare structure which is more favourable to those booking later.

For summer 2015 with Thomson cruises being so expensive we were thinking about a resort holiday. I found what we thought was a great hotel only to later discover that this hotel would be a Thomson hotel from 2015!!!!!

They are taking over the world.

I think we shall try to be more flexible in future & book last minute holidays.