First time on Jewel

Somehow, this will be our first cruise on a Radiance class ship and we're really looking forward to it.

Looking for balcony cabin (might go Junior, but balcony for sure) recommendations. Hump and aft I know to look for, but has anyone got a particular cabin to recommend (or conversely, a cabin that causes you to want to shake the monitor and scream "RUN")?

Now that I think about it, this will also be our first time sailing out of San Juan, so hotel recommendations would be nice too....I assume that Jewel sails out of the same Old Town piers as we dock in as a port?

Thanks.

Somehow, this will be our first cruise on a Radiance class ship and we're really looking forward to it.

Looking for balcony cabin (might go Junior, but balcony for sure) recommendations. Hump and aft I know to look for, but has anyone got a particular cabin to recommend (or conversely, a cabin that causes you to want to shake the monitor and scream "RUN")?

Now that I think about it, this will also be our first time sailing out of San Juan, so hotel recommendations would be nice too....I assume that Jewel sails out of the same Old Town piers as we dock in as a port?

Thanks.

Jewel will dock at the Pan Am Pier across the bay from OSJ. There are no hotels close by other than the Sheraton Convention Center. You'll have to take a taxi into OSJ.

Hotels we've liked include the Marriott Stellaris, Conrad, and a little off of the Condado, the Doubletree. We've also stayed at Hotel Milano and the Sheraton in OSJ.

We really like the Aft cabins on the Radiance Class ships. Everyone raves about 9256, we had it once and found it to be a bit to windy to stay out on the huge balcony for long. The center afts can get a little stuffy if the ship isn't moving but they are huge. With the new reclassification of cabins they are now D1's but you can still book them for 2. And of course pay a little more for the privilege. Some of the better cabins along the hump are only available for more than 2 per cabin. We did have a JS ( 1056 I think it was ) once and my opinion is that it wasn't worth the extra bucks to have a tub in the bathroom and a few more Sq feet of room than a regular aft D1.

Edited by erniesband

The very last side JS aft(1098, 1598) have a larger balcony...part of it is behind the end of the ship, which gives you a nice napping spot! We had a lounger in addition to the 2 chairs/table. It is listed as "partially obstructed", but it's not, really! There is a window washing platform and ladder above your head...you see it, but it doesn't block anything!!

You can hear some thumping of chairs from above....doesn't go on all night or anything!

If you get JS just be careful deck 10 as some are under windjammer and can be noisy

If you have to get deck 10 research the cabin number to get an idea of quieter place.

I agree. We just got off the Jewel a couple weeks ago and were in 1104, just below the windjammer. Night time was never an issue, but early morning could get a little loud. Next time our aft cabin, in that ship configuration, will be at least a deck lower.

On hotels, we have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris, which was very nice, but this time opted for the Courtyard Condado in Downtown SJ. It has two excellent restaurants and if you are in SJ for extra days it has great, and cheap, bus service to OSJ.

When we had our dinner at Marmalade (in OSJ) the taxi was about $20 including tip each way. Enjoy your cruise

Be aware that if you have a balcony on deck 7 most all of the rooms have an obstructed view. We had no clue what it was nor did the agent we spoke to, but it is the roof covering the lifeboats. You can not look down into the water but can see fine looking out. My hubby likes to watch in the water for fish etc. but it was not a big problem for us as we had been upgraded from an inside room! We thought we had hit the jackpot! If you are choosing a room and that's important to you just keep that in mind!

Thanks for all your replies.

In the few hours since I posted this, the cruise has become a (also a first (not counting the weird 2 cruises this coming November)) B2B, so it's definitely a balcony. At this point, I'm going to bring RCCL into the picture because I'd like to have same cabin for both halves.

Since we're only flying in the day before, we'll probably just stay at the Marriott Courtyard.

Edited by KarinaGW

We are aft lovers and usually only book aft cabins. But not on Radiance class ships. Too much noise from above. Last time we were in GS1600. Every morning, early, we heard chairs being moved around and other "wake up" noises.