Australian carnival Spirit

I have just booked a mid year 2105 cruise with Carnival out of Sydney Aust on Spirit. Not having sailed with them before I want to learn as much as I can. I have cruised RC only once so not a seasoned cruiser. What should I expect??

I have just booked a mid year 2105 cruise with Carnival out of Sydney Aust on Spirit. Not having sailed with them before I want to learn as much as I can. I have cruised RC only once so not a seasoned cruiser. What should I expect??

Sorry I cannot help you but to suggest posting this query on the Carnival forum may help as well.:D

I'm doing my first Carnival cruise end of May from Sydney. I've only sailed on the Radiance before.

I'll let you know when I get back!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Sorry I cannot help you but to suggest posting this query on the Carnival forum may help as well.:D

No good posting on the Carnival board as it only relates to Carnival USA!

There are a few suggesting that Carnival AU should have its own page but for now it will have to be done here:)

I did this and they suggested I post here on aussie and NZ as all their replies referred to the US ships which are totally different.

Oh well ill justvkeep looking

I'm doing my first Carnival cruise end of May from Sydney. I've only sailed on the Radiance before.

I'll let you know when I get back!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Thanks. I will eagerly await your feedback. Enjoy your cruise

We were on the Carnival Spirit. Late January out of Sydney to Vauatu & Fiji. It was our first experience with Carnival. In a nutshell, it was "different". We are usually Princess cruisers and we found that Spirit was not quite up to the Princess standard but having said that, it is what your expectations are. The cabins were larger than Princess with the beds some of the most comfortable beds we have experienced on any cruise line.

It was the cruise price that attracted us to Carnival. About $1000 each less for a balcony compared with Princess.

Rather than me go into detail on this thread why not go to "Member Reviews" on Cruise Critic and read the Carnival Spirit member reviews. You will see the good and the bad on the reviews

John

No good posting on the Carnival board as it only relates to Carnival USA!

There are a few suggesting that Carnival AU should have its own page but for now it will have to be done here:)

I did this and they suggested I post here on aussie and NZ as all their replies referred to the US ships which are totally different.

Oh well ill justvkeep looking

Sorry, I didn't realise, thought they might have been able to help out. :D

what would you like to know? we have sailed on the spirit three times and will be on 28th august:Dwe have also sailed on princess and royal and all three lines have a totaly different vibe.

We sail on carnival because of the cost ie balcony heaps cheaper and its a nice little break in the winter for not to much cost wise.

the islands will all be the same whichever line you cruise with which islands are you going to? if you want any info on them please ask away

Jacquie

We were on the Carnival Spirit. Late January out of Sydney to Vauatu & Fiji. It was our first experience with Carnival. In a nutshell, it was "different". We are usually Princess cruisers and we found that Spirit was not quite up to the Princess standard but having said that, it is what your expectations are. The cabins were larger than Princess with the beds some of the most comfortable beds we have experienced on any cruise line.

It was the cruise price that attracted us to Carnival. About $1000 each less for a balcony compared with Princess.

Rather than me go into detail on this thread why not go to "Member Reviews" on Cruise Critic and read the Carnival Spirit member reviews. You will see the good and the bad on the reviews

John

Thanks John. I have read reviews hence the confusion

Some rave while others say it's the worse line. I know it's up to individual taste and a lot of time its what you make it

Thanks John. I have read reviews hence the confusion

Some rave while others say it's the worse line. I know it's up to individual taste and a lot of time its what you make it

A positive attitude will do wonders for a great trip. A friend of mine says that 'low expectations' are good as well.:D

We cruised on Carnival Spirit last year. NYE cruise. We have cruised previously with PO, Princess, RCCL. We loved Carnival Spirit. As usual we had an awesome time... Cabins great, dining, buffet, specialty restaurant great, tendering great. Only negative I could say was that the entertainment wasn't as good as others. PO really are by far the best in that department. In saying that the comedy room (sorry, can't remember the name of this) down windey staircase was great, the best comedy we have experienced on any cruise, it was a fantastic venue with great comedians nearly every night. At the end of the day, any cruise is a great cruise. :) Fiona.

We cruised on Carnival Spirit last year. NYE cruise. We have cruised previously with PO, Princess, RCCL. We loved Carnival Spirit. As usual we had an awesome time... Cabins great, dining, buffet, specialty restaurant great, tendering great. Only negative I could say was that the entertainment wasn't as good as others. PO really are by far the best in that department. In saying that the comedy room (sorry, can't remember the name of this) down windey staircase was great, the best comedy we have experienced on any cruise, it was a fantastic venue with great comedians nearly every night. At the end of the day, any cruise is a great cruise. :) Fiona.

It sounds great Fiona. As we have only cruised on RCs Voyager before. ..how would you compare Voyager and Spirit?

I'm one of the ones who didn't like Carnival Spirit, although my wife did.

There is both good and bad about the ship. In my opinion, and I dont want to start any wars here, its styling is very tacky and I think it wouldn't look a bit out of place set in concrete in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip.

The main prominade deck, where on every other ship I've been on continues right around the ship, it doesn't on Spirit. You can only go so far forwards and then you must turn around and go back, or go inside. The only deck where you can do a complete circuit is way up on the top of the thing, above the uppermost limits of the elevators.

The air-conditioning thermostat in the cabins, was controlled by big brother and we had no control over it at all. The toilet refused to flush for a few hours, making the bathroom a very unpleasant place to be, but the problem was fixed and didn't reoccur.

The entertainment was everything from pretty poor to brilliant. The cruise director, thought he was funny and a lot of others thought so too, but nearly everyone I spoke to (over 50) thought he could do with some PR lessons.

But in Spirits defence, the food wasn't bad, the cabins are relatively spacious, and very well serviced. We had no problems with the crew.(except the cruise director) But, I will admit I couldn't wait to disembark from the thing, instead of as the yanks say "debark".....isn't that what a vet does to noisy dogs?

My apologies for writing a pretty negative response here. Most of what I write on forums is completely the opposite. BUT.....a LOT of folk really enjoy the ship, my wife sure did and as someone wrote above, "isnt any cruise better than no cruise?...or something like that.

Cheers,

Rob

Just off the Carnival today - we LOVED LOVED LOVED it! It wasn't perfect but then what ship can cater to over 2000 people's likes and dislikes? The staff were fantastic and really made this a wonderful family holiday. I just posted a review - will let you know when it is available to read. Highly recommend!

I'm one of the ones who didn't like Carnival Spirit, although my wife did.

There is both good and bad about the ship. In my opinion, and I dont want to start any wars here, its styling is very tacky and I think it wouldn't look a bit out of place set in concrete in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip.

The main prominade deck, where on every other ship I've been on continues right around the ship, it doesn't on Spirit. You can only go so far forwards and then you must turn around and go back, or go inside. The only deck where you can do a complete circuit is way up on the top of the thing, above the uppermost limits of the elevators.

The air-conditioning thermostat in the cabins, was controlled by big brother and we had no control over it at all. The toilet refused to flush for a few hours, making the bathroom a very unpleasant place to be, but the problem was fixed and didn't reoccur.

The entertainment was everything from pretty poor to brilliant. The cruise director, thought he was funny and a lot of others thought so too, but nearly everyone I spoke to (over 50) thought he could do with some PR lessons.

But in Spirits defence, the food wasn't bad, the cabins are relatively spacious, and very well serviced. We had no problems with the crew.(except the cruise director) But, I will admit I couldn't wait to disembark from the thing, instead of as the yanks say "debark".....isn't that what a vet does to noisy dogs?

My apologies for writing a pretty negative response here. Most of what I write on forums is completely the opposite. BUT.....a LOT of folk really enjoy the ship, my wife sure did and as someone wrote above, "isnt any cruise better than no cruise?...or something like that.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes I have seen a few pics and have to agree with you about the decor but I visit my friends who have rather weird decor tastes but it doesn't affect our friendship or the fun we have....so I think I can handle it.

We had a similar problem with the toilet on Voyager. ...as long as it got fixed rather quickly. Not nice but these things happen.

The main thing I am concerned about is the food....and from all I read that is good and plentiful. Also getting somewhere away from hoards of kids is important. ...worked in a school so prefer not to be around kids on holidays. ..but seems to be an adults area.

I think anything is what you make it....and being a half full person I'm sure it will be great.

Great thread. I am keen to try carnival as their prices seem so much cheaper than other lines for a balcony.

As someone who prides themselves on their great collection of fake crocs, I think the tacky decor will be tolerable to insignificant. If not I am sure another glass of red will fix the perception problems! Thanks for the honest reviews and opinions. Even the negatives seem acceptable for me. Cheers :)

Great thread. I am keen to try carnival as their prices seem so much cheaper than other lines for a balcony.

As someone who prides themselves on their great collection of fake crocs, I think the tacky decor will be tolerable to insignificant. If not I am sure another glass of red will fix the perception problems! Thanks for the honest reviews and opinions. Even the negatives seem acceptable for me. Cheers :)

OMG... we have something like 30 pairs of fake Crocs between us as a family. lol we even have under stair shoe compartments for them :D

You are never going to please everyone.Sure the décor is out there but if you sail Carnival that's what you get.I wouldn't have it in my lounge room but my lounge room doesn't go cruising.We had a great time and the pricing is good.So enjoy yourself.

The main thing I am concerned about is the food....and from all I read that is good and plentiful. Also getting somewhere away from hoards of kids is important. ..but seems to be an adults area.

I think anything is what you make it....and being a half full person I'm sure it will be great.

Ours was not in school holidays and it did have quite a few kids still (including ours). TBH, they were pretty well behaved I thought but pools are taken over by them. One couple complained that waiters paid too much attention to the kids in the dining - they were at early dining so I would probably choose the later dining if you want to avoid that (it made the kids holiday though :) ) Do not book a room on deck 5, bow, this is where kids club is and I wouldn't even book one of these rooms with kids!!!!! Serenity area is adult only - not that big but it was never totally packed either... spa/gym also has another spa tub which appeared to be child free.

You will have no probs re food - it really was very good on the whole.

We cruised on Spirit for a short 5 dayer in Feb.

I am one of those that think the the interior of the Spirit is a bit dark and dour. It seems totally in congruent with the way they promote the ship as a "Fun Ship"

Compare with Solstice:

Here are some pics of Spirit:

ry%3D400ry%3D400

Here are similar pics from Solstice

ry%3D400ry%3D400

Cheers

Like any cruise it will be what you make it. We LOVED the Spirit. You will be able to get a lot of info of the Carnival Oz facebook page. Lots of people ask question pertaining to the Spirit.. You should be able to get any questions answered there. We are sailing on the Spirit again in Jun 15.

Like any cruise it will be what you make it. We LOVED the Spirit. You will be able to get a lot of info of the Carnival Oz facebook page. Lots of people ask question pertaining to the Spirit.. You should be able to get any questions answered there. We are sailing on the Spirit again in Jun 15.

Thanks I have joined the facebook page 'carnival cruise lines Australia' ..is that the page you are referring to? I couldn't find one called 'carnival oz' but it doesnt seem to be what you are talking about.

which cruise are you doing on Spirit in June 2015? We are foing 12 nights to South Pacific sailing 18th.

It does look dark (I believe both your pics are the foyer, whereas the Solstice pics are dining room and foyer). However, that can be a function of the ship design e.g. the P&O ships also have dark foyers as there's pretty much no natural light that gets in there. Solstice on the other hand has a massive skylight above.

It's interesting you show the Solstice dining room though. Although the picture you took shows it well lit, for whatever reason Celebrity took to making the room barely lit at dining times. The main table chandeliers were turned off some days, and you only had the halogen dimmers on very low. All at our table commented on it; it was actually quite annoying. Not sure if they're trying to emulate the trendy 'eat in the dark' restaurants or what!