Cell phone, wifi questions on a cruisetour

Ottermom

We are taking a Princess southbound Alaska cruisetour, arriving in Anchorage on the 13th. We have four days on land-Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, Denali, then get on the ship. Is there cell service on land? What about on the ship? Wifi? Or do we have to go thru the internet cafe? Thanks!

Ottermom,

While I didn't cruise with Princess (not my choice, but friends were in charge of the booking and DW and tagged along ;) )

There is cell service on land (though, probably not Denali). You can also check for Wi-Fi in the lodges (at your own risk) to see if there are open unsecured signals.

I think you will love the adventure, you may not even miss your cell phone with all the great scenery you will be seeing :)

Counting down the days.

Wifi is offered at the main building in most of the lodges if not all. Speedy, it was not.

Cell service was available most of the trip, not in parts of Denali and signal was effectively unuseable at McKinley. This was 2009, coverage hopefully has improved.

While the ship is in port cell service is available through normal land based services. Once on the sea, cell service is available, but voice service is very expensive.Data cell service is also available at a lesser cost. On the ship wifi is available by purchasing an internet package or paying by the min.

We are taking a Princess southbound Alaska cruisetour, arriving in Anchorage on the 13th. We have four days on land-Anchorage, Mt. McKinley, Denali, then get on the ship. Is there cell service on land? What about on the ship? Wifi? Or do we have to go thru the internet cafe? Thanks!

The McKinley and Denali lodge have free WIFI in the lobbies, no access from the rooms.

WIFI is available on the ship although reception can vary depending on where your cabin is located. To use either in the Internet Cafe or elsewhere on the ship, you will have to purchase minutes or a package of minutes.

Are you going to end up in Vancouver? We have a few hours to kill at the airport before flying home and don't want to incur higher rates - guess they would be international rates -so roaming will be off but the Vancouver airport has free wifi and I will add a text plan for $10 just in case.

Anchorage and Denali all have service. In between the two points cell coverage can be a little spotty. Some coverage in the park but mostly close to the entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by akswimmom