Bringing water and soda onboard

Mimi19510

Planning a cruise on Zuiderdam. Anyone have experience bringing water or soda on board? I realize the HAL site says you can bring as much as you can carry on. But I read on here that some passengers put luggage tag on case of water and leave with porter. Any first hand experience? Leave for Alaska on May 17.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Planning a cruise on Zuiderdam. Anyone have experience bringing water or soda on board? I realize the HAL site says you can bring as much as you can carry on. But I read on here that some passengers put luggage tag on case of water and leave with porter. Any first hand experience? Leave for Alaska on May 17.

They have water and soda on the ship

Used to carry on water with no problem. Have never sent it as checked baggage. Now, though, I can no longer be bothered futzing with one more thing to get onboard :D so just buy what I want on the ship

Edited by CowPrincess

We usually take a small case of water, larger bottles to drink in port. We only do this in Fort Lauderdale, since we're close to the port. We look for the sturdier packed spring water with a cardboard case bottom and heavy shrink wrap. On the ship, we use a refillable sport bottle.

We have friends who drink soda that the ship doesn't carry. They have a sturdy suitcase and put the soda in there.

If we're going out of somewhere that's not our home port, we don't bother hassling with it.

Edited by POA1

I used to lug water on board but I don't bother anymore. It's something else to carry and can be quite heavy.

I either buy it on board, drink from the tap, or get what I need at the Lido buffet.

I plan to bring a 12 pack of my diet Mt. Dew [not available on the ship] and someone mentioned that I not trust the flimsy cardboard container if I checked it with the porter - very good advice IMO. I'll bring an extra bag with a zip closure for the soda.

The picture of my Mt. Dew busting out of the cardboard and rolling away is not a good thing!! Especially since no one wants to be around me in the morning before I've had one!!

The water on the ship is way better than what we have at home. No need to bring water onto the ship....

Exactly right (re: still water). I suggest everyone read the label on their bottled water. If there is no mention of a "reverse osmosis" process being used on the water, (it is used on Aquafina, but very few others) then the water you get on board, which is purified by extremely powerful reverse osmosis procedures, is far better.

My DW likes sparkling water (e.g., Perrier) with dinner so we pack a few 750ml bottles and take a bottle with us to the dining room. (Perrier now offers plastic bottles so they are safe to pack and not as heavy.

Edited by Sow There

Exactly right (re: still water). I suggest everyone read the label on their bottled water. If there is no mention of a "reverse osmosis" process being used on the water, (it is used on Aquafina, but very few others) then the water you get on board, which is purified by extremely powerful reverse osmosis procedures, is far better.

My DW likes sparkling water (e.g., Perrier) with dinner so we pack a few 750ml bottles and take a bottle with us to the dining room. (Perrier now offers plastic bottles so they are safe to pack and not as heavy.

I have recently started drinking Perrier at restaurants. Does HAL sell it in the MDR or must you bring it on yourself?