ADVICE NEEDED...Ft. Lauderdale

Arwen

Hello!

Hubby and I will be taking our second Celebrity cruise in January for an 11 day Caribbean cruise. We have only sailed Celebrity once (but loved it!) and have 17 cruises under our belts (most with HAL, a few with Princess).

Here is the question: I live in Seattle and we plan to take Alaska Air's one and only direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We plan to do the same for the return home.

The Problem: Our return flight is much later in the afternoon. We need to find something to do or even a place to rest and 'chill' until we need to get to the airport.

I have followed threads about hotels that offer day packages, but it appears that there are not many classier hotels that offer this.

The other part of the problem: I have a particularly hard time with long air flights (ours is 5 1/2 hrs) and jet lag. So much so, that I feel ill for at least a week afterwards.

We have already done the airboat ride twice and not sure what else to do in Ft. Lauderdale. Checked into making an extended stay by flying to Orlando and seeing Disneyworld for a couple of days. However, hubby has MS (he can walk, but not for long).

Read that Disneyworld has their 'problems' and those problems have made me think that staying in Ft. Lauderdale is better. I would not mind spending another night in Ft. Lauderdale overnight and leaving the next day.

So I am very open to ideas...since our cruise is only 11 days (we will stay 2 days pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites)...but in general, our vacations are 14 days or even longer.

Any ideas? Thanks for any an all advice. Love this forum and all the help that is offered here!:D

Hello!

Hubby and I will be taking our second Celebrity cruise in January for an 11 day Caribbean cruise. We have only sailed Celebrity once (but loved it!) and have 17 cruises under our belts (most with HAL, a few with Princess).

Here is the question: I live in Seattle and we plan to take Alaska Air's one and only direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We plan to do the same for the return home.

The Problem: Our return flight is much later in the afternoon. We need to find something to do or even a place to rest and 'chill' until we need to get to the airport.

I have followed threads about hotels that offer day packages, but it appears that there are not many classier hotels that offer this.

The other part of the problem: I have a particularly hard time with long air flights (ours is 5 1/2 hrs) and jet lag. So much so, that I feel ill for at least a week afterwards.

We have already done the airboat ride twice and not sure what else to do in Ft. Lauderdale. Checked into making an extended stay by flying to Orlando and seeing Disneyworld for a couple of days. However, hubby has MS (he can walk, but not for long).

Read that Disneyworld has their 'problems' and those problems have made me think that staying in Ft. Lauderdale is better. I would not mind spending another night in Ft. Lauderdale overnight and leaving the next day.

So I am very open to ideas...since our cruise is only 11 days (we will stay 2 days pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites)...but in general, our vacations are 14 days or even longer.

Any ideas? Thanks for any an all advice. Love this forum and all the help that is offered here!:D

Switch you hotel to the Westin Diplomat and spend the daylight hours relaxing/sleeping on a large comfortable lounger, in dappled shade, with the sound of waves lapping.

It's what we now do. ;)

Enjoy your cruise:D

Hello!

How about a walk on the beach? Find an inexpensive hotel to park your luggage.

I guess you don't fly overseas. 5 1/2 hours pales compared to our 14 hour flights to Beijing and Sydney.

Things to do in Fort Lauderdale that don't require much walking:

relax at pool or on beach

lunch at a cafe

water taxi

Galleria Mall is small

Post cruise you might as well stay at the beach instead of on a commercial street between shopping centers.

Edited by royalcruz

{{{{{{{

I guess you don't fly overseas. 5 1/2 hours pales compared to our 14 hour flights to Beijing and Sydney.

}}}}}}}}}}

Actually have flown overseas.. flew to Beijing last year, have flown to Australia, and even to Athens. When I returned home, I was in bad shape from jet lag mostly and the extreme time change. It took me over a month to feel better (seriously).

You are right 5 1/2 hrs is not that long, but too long for me, especially if there is a connecting flight and not enough time to get a decent lunch. Our last flight back from Ft. Lauderdale connected in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Not enough time for lunch, grabbed popcorn and Delta only offered 'snacks' and a super limited menu.

I have a dysautonomia problem....should have mentioned this. Any shake up in my schedule has repercussions with my nervous system.

It is really difficult so I try to make things easier for myself.

Hubby and I would like to do a little more international stuff, but I have put a 'hold' on that....will give it a rest for a while. ;)

Edited by Arwen

{{{{{{{

}}}}}}}}}}

Actually have flown overseas.. flew to Beijing last year, have flown to Australia, and even to Athens. When I returned home, I was in bad shape from jet lag mostly and the extreme time change. It took me over a month to feel better (seriously).

You are right 5 1/2 hrs is not that long, but too long for me, especially if there is a connecting flight and not enough time to get a decent lunch. Our last flight back from Ft. Lauderdale connected in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Not enough time for lunch, grabbed popcorn and Delta only offered 'snacks' and a super limited menu.

I have a dysautonomia problem....should have mentioned this. Any shake up in my schedule has repercussions with my nervous system.

It is really difficult so I try to make things easier for myself.

Hubby and I would like to do a little more international stuff, but I have put a 'hold' on that....will give it a rest for a while. ;)

You can always take TransAtlantic cruises. You can take a main line cruise to Europe and Cunard back to NYC.

How about having an overnight stop on the flight home.

ahhh yes, I have considered that one!!! Since we our trip is in January, the only sensible connecting flight is for Dallas/Ft. Worth.

I looked into airfare and found that the cost is almost the same as flying from Ft. Lauderdale to home...well, a little less money, but not much.

I did research interesting things to do in Dallas Ft. Worth, and did not find much. Again, hubby has limited walking ability. But, I will look into this aspect again!

At this point, I am now thinking of just returning back to the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale and spending one night. Just having a bit of down time between disembarking from the ship to boarding for a long flight would be helpful.

On all of our past cruises, we have had to arise at 6:00 a.m. or earlier to get ready to disembark. We usually arrive home, Seattle, around 10 or 11 p.m. at night. It is way too exhausting for me!:(

ahhh yes, I have considered that one!!! Since we our trip is in January, the only sensible connecting flight is for Dallas/Ft. Worth.

I looked into airfare and found that the cost is almost the same as flying from Ft. Lauderdale to home...well, a little less money, but not much.

I did research interesting things to do in Dallas Ft. Worth, and did not find much. Again, hubby has limited walking ability. But, I will look into this aspect again!

At this point, I am now thinking of just returning back to the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale and spending one night. Just having a bit of down time between disembarking from the ship to boarding for a long flight would be helpful.

On all of our past cruises, we have had to arise at 6:00 a.m. or earlier to get ready to disembark. We usually arrive home, Seattle, around 10 or 11 p.m. at night. It is way too exhausting for me!:(

Instead of the Embassy, why not pamper yourself and upgrade your hotel? I would check out The Pillars, The Ritz-Carlton, The Hilton, and The W Hotel. All in great locations.

Instead of the Embassy, why not pamper yourself and upgrade your hotel? I would check out The Pillars, The Ritz-Carlton, The Hilton, and The W Hotel. All in great locations.

Those are very expensive hotels.

Those are very expensive hotels.

The trip is in January, the OP doesn't sound at all like she's trying to find a bargain, the Embassy is also expensive in January, and it sounds like comfort and relaxation is more important than price.

Hello!

Unfortunately, I can't remember the full name of the "hotel"--the Il something or other--it's around 33rd street, and it overlooks the intercoastal waterway. It's one of the top "hotels" on Trip Advisor. It's actually a condo bldg that they rent out the condos. It's a block from the beach, the pool is really nothing, has a washer/dryer in the units....Sorry I can't remember the rest of the name--I-L and I can't remember the rest---...it wasn't that expensive when I stayed there.....

The trip is in January, the OP doesn't sound at all like she's trying to find a bargain, the Embassy is also expensive in January, and it sounds like comfort and relaxation is more important than price.

Hotels like the Ritz-Carlton will run over $500 per night.

Hotels like the Ritz-Carlton will run over $500 per night.

Please reread the OPs post. She is NOT looking for a bargain hotel and price is not one of her requests.

While it price may be YOUR first concern, for many people it is not.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the full name of the "hotel"--the Il something or other--it's around 33rd street, and it overlooks the intercoastal waterway. It's one of the top "hotels" on Trip Advisor. It's actually a condo bldg that they rent out the condos. It's a block from the beach, the pool is really nothing, has a washer/dryer in the units....Sorry I can't remember the rest of the name--I-L and I can't remember the rest---...it wasn't that expensive when I stayed there.....

Il Lugano. It's a condo-hotel and the units are cool! The property is small though.