Does this make any sense?

newlights

So my wife and I decided we just could not swing another 900 bucks before our. Those with some other unexpected expenses that poped up so I called carnival and asked if I could downgrade to a porthole or inside from balcony on same cruise. I was told no because I had early saver I could not do that... So instead I was charged a 100 fee and was allowed to switch to a completely different ship and port during same week. Now I save a lot of money but what's the difference in charging me the same 100 fee and allowing me to stay on the same ship as apposed to what they did?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As a side note those that booked es with 30 day final pay better check that I booked under it but it said and I was told I had to pay by august for my oct cruise. I reminded them I booked with the 30 day final pay and she basically said I was Incorrect this only existed on one promotion which I know I have seen at least 3 - 4 of those sales including the one I originally booked under.

Edited by newlights

I posted a thread last week on how I switched ships, was told I had to pay $100, then I called back and spoke to someone else and the $100 fee was waived.

The thread had posts from several people with similar stories on how the first CCL person said X, the second said Y, and the third, fourth or fifth finally said Z!!:eek:

My point, it doesn't hurt to call back and ask somebody else, I did and it worked!!

I also booked ES and just called to change sailings (thinking they would say no and charge me the $50pp fee) and the agent I got was super-nice and just changed my booking with no fees and no additional deposit. I think it all depends on who you get. Being in CS and (even worse) working in a reservation call center, I cringe to even say it, but sometimes it does pay to call back and try another agent ;)

I posted a thread last week on how I switched ships, was told I had to pay $100, then I called back and spoke to someone else and the $100 fee was waived.

The thread had posts from several people with similar stories on how the first CCL person said X, the second said Y, and the third, fourth or fifth finally said Z!!:eek:

My point, it doesn't hurt to call back and ask somebody else, I did and it worked!!

He could try, but if I remember right you were booked under Kids Sail Free which had a whole separate set of restrictions. The rates on ES are lower purely because they're restrictive.

I have gotten away with a lot using Early Saver, but downgrading is not one of them. We stopped using it all together unless we have another choice.

So my wife and I decided we just could not swing another 900 bucks before our. Those with some other unexpected expenses that poped up so I called carnival and asked if I could downgrade to a porthole or inside from balcony on same cruise. I was told no because I had early saver I could not do that... So instead I was charged a 100 fee and was allowed to switch to a completely different ship and port during same week. Now I save a lot of money but what's the difference in charging me the same 100 fee and allowing me to stay on the same ship as apposed to what they did?

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Edited by lady_cruiser

He could try, but if I remember right you were booked under Kids Sail Free which had a whole separate set of restrictions. The rates on ES are lower purely because they're restrictive.

I have gotten away with a lot using Early Saver, but downgrading is not one of them. We stopped using it all together unless we have another choice.

Yeah I'm not a fan of early saver. I booked that way this time, because the past guest rate wasn't available. Unless you are counting on a few price drops beyond your final payment date, I really don't see the big advantage to it. Past Guest is usually only marginally higher but you can do as much changing and cancelling as you want up to the final payment date without penalty.