Sapphire Princess - any new news?

kjets

"Someone" doesn't know what they're talking about. The Sapphire mattresses are MUCH better than HAL's. Of course, that's subjective but I always get back problems on a HAL cruise because I find the beds way too soft. The Sapphire mattress is a great combination of support and a pillow-top. FYI, the same mattress as I've had on the Star, Island, Crown and Royal over the past two years. The "standard" Princess mattress is great IMHO.

"Someone". Isn't this a tad harsh?

One of the worst mattresses that I've had was on a Princess cruise. It wasn't the mattress' fault. Someone had obviously used it as a sofa, sitting on the side too much. Every night, I felt like I was going to roll off on the floor. It was so damaged that the room steward put a serving tray - turned upside down - to try to level it a bit. No spare mattresses were available to replace it.

One of the worst mattresses that I've had was on a Princess cruise. It wasn't the mattress' fault. Someone had obviously used it as a sofa, sitting on the side too much. Every night, I felt like I was going to roll off on the floor. It was so damaged that the room steward put a serving tray - turned upside down - to try to level it a bit. No spare mattresses were available to replace it.

We're about to return to Princess after a 4 year break. Looking forward to new mattresses! I recall we always used to ask for one of the egg crate toppers in the past. Hopefully those will no longer be needed. :)

I think he's invisible!! Just got odd the sapphire today and didn't see him once nor the captain. Obviously wasn't around for the formal nights when people were allowed in the dining rooms with shirts on!

Thank you for posting. Yes, some officers seem invisible to us. Do you have the name of Maitre D' from a Patter? Hope your cruise was relaxing, even if the key personnel were out of sight!

Edited by NeptuneSeas

Great to hear from someone on the Sapphire! We sail October 7th and Princess says the CD hasn't even been appointed yet!

Have a great cruise and PLEASE report back when you can.

We were wondering where the pax were! Appreciate knowing who Maitre D' is please from your Princess pre cruise email when it arrives - wow, no CD yet & no one knows of a Maitre D' - an interesting voyage. Thank you in anticipation of hearing who they are. Bon Voyage! Rose & Mario

We were wondering where the pax were! Appreciate knowing who Maitre D' is please from your Princess pre cruise email when it arrives - wow, no CD yet & no one knows of a Maitre D' - an interesting voyage. Thank you in anticipation of hearing who they are. Bon Voyage! Rose & Mario

CD was a South African gentleman by the name of Callie ( sorry can't remember his surname) unfortunately he lost me at the muster which was VERY unprofessional. People were told to bring life jacket and about 40 percent didn't have it and nothing was said or done. A couple turned up after the recording of the safety procedure had finished and had their card scanned.

Whilst we had a great cruise there were a lot of things that could have been done better or at least to the standard Princess advertise.

Bizziecruizer,

Thank you for checking in. Hope you had a good cruise. We are anxiously waiting to hear from the first Asia cruisers on the Sapphire. You are most likely recuperating from jet lag....thanks for posting and answering our questions.

I am wondering....Did Princess have bus/ transfer service in Shanghai and Hong Kong? Did you take any Princess excursions that you can recommend?

• 1 month later...
Anyone been on board lately and want to tell us more? Pretty please?

I generally don't read the Member Reviews, but being starved for information on the Sapphire, I do see that there are 2 reviews since the long charter. Both reviews are generally favorable.

One comment that I did notice... it was mentioned that some "regular" Princess menu items had been replaced with Asian dishes.

Thank you for posting. Yes, some officers seem invisible to us. Do you have the name of Maitre D' from a Patter? Hope your cruise was relaxing, even if the key personnel were out of sight!

We are sailing in a few weeks. The Maitre'D is Pasquale Marino. He was on the Royal during our June cruise to the Baltics. Anne

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are sailing in a few weeks. The Maitre'D is Pasquale Marino. He was on the Royal during our June cruise to the Baltics. Anne

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you kindly for the update. Bon Voyage & Bon Apetite! Rose & Mario

Here is a very favorable review written in October from an Asian point of view, containing many delicious details and pictures:

http://www.asianweek.com/2014/10/02/treated-royally-on-a-princess/

See you in January on the Sapphire,

Doug for TinaG

Excellent writeup.

However, it is from an American point of view. The author (and traveling companions) are from the (San Francisco?) Bay Area.

I generally don't read the Member Reviews, but being starved for information on the Sapphire, I do see that there are 2 reviews since the long charter. Both reviews are generally favorable.

One comment that I did notice... it was mentioned that some "regular" Princess menu items had been replaced with Asian dishes.

I can confirm that this is true.

The left side of the menu, with the exception of the bottom two items (pasta dishes) is an Asian menu. The first three items are Asian appetizers and are repeated on the menu each evening (Thai Cucumber Salad, Wonton Soup, Crispy Hand-Rolled Vegetable Spring Rolls).

Next are four Asian entrees. One night's menu was:

Xin Jiang Lamb Skewers (served with plain buns)

Beef Rendang (flavors of lime, chili and coconut, caramelized beef curry)

Baigan Bhurta (mashed roasted eggplant simmered in flavorful spices)

Mandarin Crispy Snapper (red onion and pepper in sweet & sour sauce)

Next on the left side of the menu are two pasta dishes (available as an appetizer or main course)

Rotelle con Codi di Manzo Brasata (braised oxtail over wagon wheel pasta)

Spaghetti al Pomodoro (in fresh tomato sauce and basil)

(Note - I never saw Fettucini Alfredo on the menu, and we ate in the main dining room every night except for the first night)

The right side of the menu has Western Selections. On the same night as above, it included:

Appetizers:

Game & Wild Mushroom Pate

Warm Crab & Artichoke Dip with Baguette Chips

Cock-a-Leekie Soup

Seasonal Field Greens with Shredded Carrots and Cherry Tomatoes

Classic Caesar Salad

Main Courses:

Steamed Cod over Warm Lentil Salad

Chicken Paillard with Amber Ale & Onion Gravy

Surf & Turf (petite filet mignon and jumbo shrimp)

Home Style Cuisine: Kassler-Style Smoked Pork Loin & Sauerkraut

Pad Thai

Grilled Beef Filet Medallions, Rosemary Demi-Glace

Of the above the following were on the menu every night:

The three Asian appetizers

Spaghetti al Pomodoro

Classic Caesar Salad

Grilled Beef Filet Medallions

Dessert Menu the same night:

Burned Rhubarb Napoleon with Nectarine Ice Cream

Apple and Walnut Spring Rolls

Sugar-Free Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake

Ice cream (3 flavors each night)

Always Available:

Princess Love Boat Dream

Traditional New York Cheesecake

French Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

Create Your Own Sunday

Brie & Gouda Cheese with Dried Apricots in Port Wine Syrup

Sweet & Nutritious Fruit

Edited by whatsup6897

I can confirm that this is true.

The left side of the menu, with the exception of the bottom two items (pasta dishes) is an Asian menu. The first three items are Asian appetizers and are repeated on the menu each evening (Thai Cucumber Salad, Wonton Soup, Crispy Hand-Rolled Vegetable Spring Rolls).

Next are four Asian entrees. One night's menu was:

Xin Jiang Lamb Skewers (served with plain buns)

Beef Rendang (flavors of lime, chili and coconut, caramelized beef curry)

Baigan Bhurta (mashed roasted eggplant simmered in flavorful spices)

Mandarin Crispy Snapper (red onion and pepper in sweet & sour sauce)

Next on the left side of the menu are two pasta dishes (available as an appetizer or main course)

Rotelle con Codi di Manzo Brasata (braised oxtail over wagon wheel pasta)

Spaghetti al Pomodoro (in fresh tomato sauce and basil)

(Note - I never saw Fettucini Alfredo on the menu, and we ate in the main dining room every night except for the first night)

The right side of the menu has Western Selections. On the same night as above, it included:

Appetizers:

Game & Wild Mushroom Pate

Warm Crab & Artichoke Dip with Baguette Chips

Cock-a-Leekie Soup

Seasonal Field Greens with Shredded Carrots and Cherry Tomatoes

Classic Caesar Salad

Main Courses:

Steamed Cod over Warm Lentil Salad

Chicken Paillard with Amber Ale & Onion Gravy

Surf & Turf (petite filet mignon and jumbo shrimp)

Home Style Cuisine: Kassler-Style Smoked Pork Loin & Sauerkraut

Pad Thai

Grilled Beef Filet Medallions, Rosemary Demi-Glace

Of the above the following were on the menu every night:

The three Asian appetizers

Spaghetti al Pomodoro

Classic Caesar Salad

Grilled Beef Filet Medallions

Dessert Menu the same night:

Burned Rhubarb Napoleon with Nectarine Ice Cream

Apple and Walnut Spring Rolls

Sugar-Free Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake

Ice cream (3 flavors each night)

Always Available:

Princess Love Boat Dream

Traditional New York Cheesecake

French Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

Create Your Own Sunday

Brie & Gouda Cheese with Dried Apricots in Port Wine Syrup

Sweet & Nutritious Fruit

Thanks! The Asian dishes sound very good, although I am disappointed to hear that the Fettuccine Alfredo was missing. I wonder if they'd make it upon request?