Sydney Harbour Dinner Cruise ?

Here's the next thing I'm curious about:

Our group is interested in doing a Harbour Dinner Cruise while we are in Sydney. I've researching this but I haven't found very many tour operators that do this. The 2 that have peaked my interest are Captain Cook Cruises and Magistic Cruises. Has anyone every done a dinner cruise with either of these? If so, how was it? Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping!:)

Teri

P.S. I have also posted this on the Ports of Call board but there doesn't seem to be as much activity there.

I should add,take a couple of ferry rides,except for the commentary[basic]and the cup of lukewarm coffee they are much the same.Get off at Manly and take a walk around and when you get back to the Quay,dine at one of the waterfront restaurants.

Here's the next thing I'm curious about:

Our group is interested in doing a Harbour Dinner Cruise while we are in Sydney. I've researching this but I haven't found very many tour operators that do this. The 2 that have peaked my interest are Captain Cook Cruises and Magistic Cruises. Has anyone every done a dinner cruise with either of these? If so, how was it? Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping!:)

Teri

P.S. I have also posted this on the Ports of Call board but there doesn't seem to be as much activity there.

I have done several dinner cruises over the years , my last being Capt. Cook cruise a long time ago (10 years ago). It was good, the food was nice and hot (sometimes the food can be luke warm) and the alcohol was flowing which makes for a happy crowd. As suggested by others check out Trip Adviser and do some research as to what you want.:D

I may be a little biased here as one of my daughters does all the PR for Captain Cook Cruises and we have been on quite a few dinner,lunch and coffee cruises with them but, bias aside, found them to be very very good.

The coffee cruises provide a very informative commentary and relaxing way of seeing Sydney Harbour and even though I have lived in Sydney for over sixty years, I learnt a few things about the harbour & surrounds I did not know.

There is no commentary on the lunch or dinner cruises but the food is plentiful and tasty ( just what you need if you are going on a cruise....more food:D) and I can highly recommend any of them.

By the way, how many are in your group?

I would recommend Captain Cook also. As said above they are a reputable, well known company and have good options for different choices/prices.

I gave my inlaws a Captain Cook lunch cruise as a present last year and they loved it.

Its well worth doing a dinner cruise, the Harbour just is stunning at night and there is nothing better than being a part of it all.

I have done a few harbour cruises (free through husbands work so didn't get to pick the cruise) and I always think how nice the Captain Cook cruises look going past.

I wouldn't compare them to ferry cruises.

Certainly, if all you're wanting is a trip on the water, take a ferry.

But these offer more. Captain Cook is a more 'upmarket' style e.g. more space onboard, and pricing matches that. Magistic seating is more communal. Food on both is good, although different.

Magistic have different themes e.g. dance that can be more interactive.

I'd say both are good, but have differences, so it comes down to what you prefer... including the ferry ;-)

Edited by The_Big_M

We like he thought of a dinner cruise so we can relax, eat, chat, drink and enjoy the harbor in the evening with all the city lights. Not really worried about hearing commentary. There are 4 of us and we just thought it would be a nice way to experience the views of the Sydney from the water, especially at night. We might wait to book anything until we get there and see what the weather forecast is like. We're looking for input on the different options available. As always, very helpful so far.:D

On tripadvisor, all the comments I read were negative and basically saying take a ferry ride and eat on land at a restaurant.:(

We like he thought of a dinner cruise so we can relax, eat, chat, drink and enjoy the harbor in the evening with all the city lights. Not really worried about hearing commentary. There are 4 of us and we just thought it would be a nice way to experience the views of the Sydney from the water, especially at night. We might wait to book anything until we get there and see what the weather forecast is like. We're looking for input on the different options available. As always, very helpful so far.:D

On tripadvisor, all the comments I read were negative and basically saying take a ferry ride and eat on land at a restaurant.:(

The ferry and restaurant may be a cheaper option but we all know what having a dinner cruise can be like. Good food and being on the water watching the stars and the city lights go past is just so much better.:D

We have done a captain cook dinner cruise twice I would not hesitate in recommending it,the views of Sydney from the water at night are spectacular

There is nothing to stop you doing both. :D

The ferry to Manly goes further than the dinner cruise boats. Since you are thinking of doing a trip to Manly, you could go there in the late afternoon so you see the harbour in daylight, have a good look around Manly, have dinner at a restaurant there - there are some very good ones, let me know if you want recommendations - then catch the ferry back in the evening so you see the harbour at night. However the ferry doesn't enter any of the smaller bays along the way, it stays out in the middle of the harbour.

The dinner cruises will go closer to shore so you may see more.

I've never done a typical dinner cruise. I did go on a corporate lunch with Majistic several years ago and it was very nice.

Majistic has smaller catamarans, and the dinner is buffet style. However they do have tables set up outside which would be wonderful on a balmy evening. You pay extra for alcohol although they do have beverage packages.

Captain Cook use a much bigger ship, MV Sydney 2000, which has four decks and five dining rooms. More like being on a cruise ship I'd imagine. There are several dining options ranging from the all-inclusive Gold Dinner with a degustation menu with matching wines, and priority boarding. Other options are for a three or two course dinner, with alcohol at extra cost.

Both lines appear to have specials at the moment, and both appear to be reasonable value for money in Aussie terms. The Captain Cook Gold degustation menu option is comparable with top Sydney restaurant prices although I can't comment whether the quality of food is comparable.

What time of year will you be in Sydney? That may make a difference. In the height of summer Sydney does have an annoying habit of unleashing a late afternoon / early evening thunderstorm although they pass over fairly quickly.

One of our favourite Sydney waterfront dining options is the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar, near the Opera House. http://sydneycoveoysterbar.com/ Great food but not cheap. A table right next to the water is pure magic, ferries bustling in and out, the city lights reflected in the water, the harbour bridge on full display. Lovely!

One of our favourite Sydney waterfront dining options is the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar, near the Opera House. http://sydneycoveoysterbar.com/ Great food but not cheap. A table right next to the water is pure magic, ferries bustling in and out, the city lights reflected in the water, the harbour bridge on full display. Lovely!

Agreed, a lovely spot and they do a great big breaky / brunch, very nice and well done.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Agreed, a lovely spot and they do a great big breaky / brunch, very nice and well done.:D

We usually go there for dinner if we're going to a show at the Opera House. We go in early so we can get a really good carpark - there are a few spots that make it easier and quicker getting out of the Opera House Carpark. We've never been disappointed with the food or the constant entertainment provided by all the ferries whizzing in and out of Circular Quay.

(

Depends when you're coming and with how much time in advance, but especially with the theme cruises, they can book out.

If you've got some time and don't mind which option, not such an issue, but just thought I'd mention it can be beneficial to book earlier.

Edited by The_Big_M

We did a harbour dinner and show cruise a few years back, and it was dark for most of it as it was July. I am not sure of the company as it was a work function, but I would check out the time you are cruising and the time of sunset when you are cruising. We could not see anything out the windows due to it being dark outside and light inside the boat.

It was a nice trip and dinner, but the show was a dancing cabaret type show with scantily clad girls singing loudly, which meant we couldn't actually talk much to our table mates. Pretty poor for a function to enable networking.

Anyhow, I see you just want a dinner cruise and it sounds nice, as long as it is still light for a bit of it.

We did a harbour dinner and show cruise a few years back, and it was dark for most of it as it was July. I am not sure of the company as it was a work function, but I would check out the time you are cruising and the time of sunset when you are cruising. We could not see anything out the windows due to it being dark outside and light inside the boat.

It was a nice trip and dinner, but the show was a dancing cabaret type show with scantily clad girls singing loudly, which meant we couldn't actually talk much to our table mates.Pretty poor for a function to enable networking.

Anyhow, I see you just want a dinner cruise and it sounds nice, as long as it is still light for a bit of it.

I can see your point but I know what I would prefer to do on that type of cruise.;)

Haha Mic, the girls were just not my thing, but some of the blokes thought it was a great show ;) I was actually disappointed not to be able to see much of the harbour. We just went around in circles. :cool: The people we enjoyed talking to the most were from Canberra actually. :)

Haha Mic, the girls were just not my thing, but some of the blokes thought it was a great show ;) I was actually disappointed not to be able to see much of the harbour. We just went around in circles. :cool: The people we enjoyed talking to the most were from Canberra actually. :)

It's a shame you can't remember who it was with. There are a couple of party boats that are used for corporate functions, Christmas parties, etc. They focus on the partying, not the scenery. It may have been one of those.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I get distracted easily by bright shiny sparkly things, especially if they are being worn very strategicly by the opposite gender.:p Shame you couldn't see much of the harbour or the city lights.

Edited by MicCanberra

We're arriving in Sydney on the 23rd of October, cruising on the 28th of October. We checked on the Sunset time and it was around 7:15 pm or so. Still up in the air about what we are going to do.

Daylight saving starts early October ( the 5th I think) so you will get an extra hour of daylight

Daylight saving starts early October ( the 5th I think) so you will get an extra hour of daylight

Yes, should be fairly light right up to 8 pm or so. Then the city lights will kick in giving you the best of the harbour with sunlight and also without it.:D

I think 7:15pm is the the daylight saving sunset time at that time of year.

Captain Cook cruises board from two places, Circular Quay at 7pm then they go around to King St Wharf (passing under the Harbour Bridge, RumpunchGirl) to board more diners at 7:30pm. If you boarded at Circular Quay you would be going under the Bridge into the sunset. Could be pretty.

I think Majistic only board from King St Wharf. Warning: I just noticed on their website that if they don't get enough bookings for the catamaran dinner cruise they will "upgrade" you to the Showboat cruise, which may have been the one that goodycruising was disappointed with.

Our traveling buddies were wondering if we should wait to book when we're in Sydney. The thought being we would know better what the weather will be like those 5 days. But it sounds like we might have to pre-book at least on the Captain Cook cruise. Well, I appreciated all the good advice given here. I have 5 months to finish planning. I booked this cruise a year ago and it seemed sooooo far away. Now, here it is. I can't wait!:D