Post Prandial Cigar

Jane Pond

I know that after dinner cigar enjoyment is allowed in the Forward Lounge on Deck 8. I wonder, does one bring one's own, are there cigars (hopefully Cuban)for sale in the Boutique or in the lounge? Thanks.

Jane in PHL

Jane~~~the Maitre' D use to pass the cigar humidor after dinner in the dining room, but I've not seen this recently. I'm sure they are for sale somewhere on the ships. Perhaps in the Club. I know some men bring their favorite stoggies.

MB

I have never seen a humidor passed. I was wondering about buying some because Cuban cigars are not available in the States. I will be in London and can probably buy some there. I was asking because my brother, for a special occasion, likes a good cigar (no Groucho jokes, here, please!). I thought I could assure him of a good smoke on the Gilligan's Island Cruise. Thanks!

Jane

I have never seen a humidor passed. I was wondering about buying some because Cuban cigars are not available in the States. I will be in London and can probably buy some there. I was asking because my brother, for a special occasion, likes a good cigar (no Groucho jokes, here, please!). I thought I could assure him of a good smoke on the Gilligan's Island Cruise. Thanks!

Jane

Hi Jane,

What about the Bill Clinton Jokes then?

John

Jane~~~Yes, cigars would be passed every evening from a beautiful wooden humidor a few years back. I think, now, the guests are charged for them.

You might pick up a couple of surprise Cubans in London.

Also, have you seen the "eye glass" case the waiter will bring to you, if you forget your dinner menu "eyes?" Several times I have forgotten my "drug stores" and VOILA, all strengths appear in a flash! Yet another reason we love Seabourn!

MB

Jane--they usually have some for sale in the lounge on deck 8--they have some pretty good brands--not cheap. Be careful if you get Cubans--they aren't legal, and customs are suppose take them if they see they are Cuban, but its very difficult to tell where the cigar came from-- if the band doesn't give you away. I would buy your cigars in London--you will get a much larger selection, and they will probably be fresher, and don't you sneak off and smoke one yourself. Have a great trip!!! Don

I think that I shall buy a few in London and give them to my brother. I kow he will be very circumspect in smoking them. I bet Dunhill's has them and I think they are right by the Ritz. No matter. Perhaps I should check with him first, since for all I know, he may hav given them up. I did bring him one from Aruba once and was sure I would be put in smugglers' prison.

Jane (and no Clinton jokes, either!!!)

Jane~~Just remove the Cuban bands......OH, don't surprise your brother with a new cutter......hahahaa (the airport security will seize it) Michael, the Bar Manager will have one.

Your brother will be thrilled with such a thoughtful gift!

MB

Cigar smoking is allowed in the observation lounges from 10-11 pm every night. They offer a variety of cigars, and drinks. On our last cruise there were just two of us who met up there every evening. Although they offered a nice variety of cigars, we both had our own, either from home or purchased on shore.

Sea Hawk, Just curious, are the cigars free or for sale? I have decided to stop at Dunhill's which is on Jerymn St. just a few blocks from my hotel ; and I will get a few Cuban cigars there and bring them with me. Might pick up some of their aftershave too, which was always my favourite. Thanks for the information.

Jane (for whom Hai Karate aftershave always reminds me of a certain someone<G>)

Sea Hawk, Just curious, are the cigars free or for sale? I have decided to stop at Dunhill's which is on Jerymn St. just a few blocks from my hotel ; and I will get a few Cuban cigars there and bring them with me. Might pick up some of their aftershave too, which was always my favourite. Thanks for the information.

Jane (for whom Hai Karate aftershave always reminds me of a certain someone<G>)

Hi Jane ,

Try Davidoff in St James Street on the corner of Jermyn Street they have a very big selection of Cigars

John

Thanks John and Sea-Hawk. I probably should let my brother buy some on board, he has a $500 credit and only 3 days to spend it! I did see in a list that Davidoff is right close too. Fortnum's has a department and since I plan on having brunch there and puttering in the Food Hall for some nibbles for the cruise, I might just check them out too. But I think I am making this more of a bid deal than it actually will be!

Jane (John, what have you heard about Maze at the London Marriott?)

Thanks John and Sea-Hawk. I probably should let my brother buy some on board, he has a $500 credit and only 3 days to spend it! I did see in a list that Davidoff is right close too. Fortnum's has a department and since I plan on having brunch there and puttering in the Food Hall for some nibbles for the cruise, I might just check them out too. But I think I am making this more of a bid deal than it actually will be!

Jane (John, what have you heard about Maze at the London Marriott?)

Hi Jane,

I have not had time to pop down to the new Gordon Ramsay at the Marriott, but he did tell me that the food was a bit cheaper than previous offerings and it is aiming at a quick turn around so it may be OK for a speedy lunch or just a drink and a nibble in the evening.The Connaught Hotel is doing well and is another in Gordons stable ,He has Angela Hartnett doing the cooking.The Berkeley is good for lunch in the Boxwood Cafe and they serve the most wonderful interpretation of a Burger.Kobe beef with a slice of Fois Gras served in a Brioche bun.

Regards

John

Thanks, John. I am interested in Maze because the chef came from Verre in Dubai where I had a wonderful dinner. Less cost is fine with me!

Did you happen to get the Fox series 'Hell's Kitchen' done in LA? I found it fun. When I met the Chef, he told me he was just done filming it and it was a lot of hard work. The winner was invited to come to London to work with him or get his own restaurant. I think there is an older UK version, but we haven't seen it here.

I still have your other recommendation in mind as well.

Jane

Thanks, John. I am interested in Maze because the chef came from Verre in Dubai where I had a wonderful dinner. Less cost is fine with me!

Did you happen to get the Fox series 'Hell's Kitchen' done in LA? I found it fun. When I met the Chef, he told me he was just done filming it and it was a lot of hard work. The winner was invited to come to London to work with him or get his own restaurant. I think there is an older UK version, but we haven't seen it here.

I still have your other recommendation in mind as well.

Jane

Hi Jane

I saw the original Hells Kitchen here in the UK which was interesting.Gordon was asked to do another one here but declined.The format changed for the second series and they had two chefs with two teams competing against each other Lead by Gary Rhodes and Jean Christophe Novelli.Gary Rhodes won and just as well as he is considered by chefs to be the most complete Cook

John

I know that after dinner cigar enjoyment is allowed in the Forward Lounge on Deck 8. I wonder, does one bring one's own, are there cigars (hopefully Cuban)for sale in the Boutique or in the lounge? Thanks.

Jane in PHL

Jane,

If you want Cuban cigars then do not buy Davidoff cigars - they are now all from the Dominacan Republic, and this is one of the reasons why some cruise lines like SS feature them. They moved there some time ago.

If you are passing through Heathrow there are excellent cigar shops in all terminii and the staff are very knowledgeable, particularly the Scottish lady in T1 who has even been to the Davidoff factory and several others. Normally each month they feature special offers with some brands up to 50% off - but never my brand - El Rey Del Mundo.

There are also some excellent mail order cigar merchants in the UK who have stocks of "old" cigars as well if you are interested.

Good luck.

Jeff

Thanks very much! My quest for a few Cuban cigars has garned a lot of information! I shall just go to Dunhill's or Fortnum's and let that be. However, if anyone on the Pride crossing or the 3 day cruise wants one, let me know soon!

Jane

PS: John, both Petrus and Maze are booked on Saturday night. I figured that everyone would be out of town for the Bank Holiday weekend!

Thanks very much! My quest for a few Cuban cigars has garned a lot of information! I shall just go to Dunhill's or Fortnum's and let that be. However, if anyone on the Pride crossing or the 3 day cruise wants one, let me know soon!

Jane

PS: John, both Petrus and Maze are booked on Saturday night. I figured that everyone would be out of town for the Bank Holiday weekend!

They are Jane,but London is busy with tourists

Thank God

John

But John, I figured that with the bank holiday weekend, everyone would leave town and it would be just me trying to dine out! Of coiurse, I am very pleased that tourism hasn't been diminished by the recent events although I just heard that some of the public transport numbers are down.

Jane

Jane,

London Transport trafiic is down by around 15% during the week and up to 40% at weekends. Peole are still here - but they're taking taxis, cycling and walking.

I think your trying to find somewhere to eat - but I can't see what your preferences are?

If I understood correctly - you are staying at The Ritz?

If so e-mail or call the concierge as soon as you can and telll him/her which restaurants you would like to go to in order of preference and ask if they can pull any strings. All top restaurants hold tables back for their best customers and a good concierge will often be able to obtain a table that might not otherwise be available. The Ritz will find this easier than you.

Failing that, unless you're determined to go to a celebrity chef restaurant (urgh!)then if you post what cuisines you'd like to try then I'm sure you will be given suggestions as to what might be some interesting alternatives for a visitor. In the last year or two Mrs UK1 and I have concluded that London is now probably the best place in the world we eat, replacing Paris several years ago.

Amongst those I've taken American friends to, which they have particularly enjoyed would be Rules:

http://www.rules.co.uk/

You can read it's history, see some menus and make a reservation on line.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! I am staying at The Stafford and the concierge staff has been making reservations for me. And, yes, I am doing the 'celebrity chef' route and am dining for the second time at 68 Royal Hospital Road. As John posted here, he recommended 'The Greenhouse' and I shall go there after the theater on Saturday. I do know of Rules, ate there years ago and it should not have 'slipped from the radar'. I also like to dine at the hotel and in their American Bar. The way the posts seem, it may appear that all I do is eat, but that's on Seabourn!

I am often in London and will think about it in October. I have such wonderful times in the city and take taxis and the buses, but buses less so because the hotel is tucked away and not on a convenient route. I appreciate your reply and others will as well, I am sure.

Jane in PHL

PS: Norm, what goes after dot biz in your email address?

Archived