Smart phone use ????

Travelbug 2

Can anyone answer this question?

I am a Canadian cruising the East coast New England/Canada from Boston to Montreal in early June.

My smart phone plan includes free phone and text anywhere in Canada anytime.

As I will be in Canadian ports for most of the time could I use that while on the ship "in port" or even cruising the St Lawrence river? We will be in Canadian territory but I would be on the ship. :confused:

Any help appreciated. :)

That will depend upon who your provider is, but from what you have stated, you should be able to use it. I am with Virgin Mobile and I like the fact that it will send me a text message the very second that I travel outside of Canada reminding me of the costs and also provide me with a promotional offer while I am outside of the country.

Your best bet is to check with your provider.

The ship's phone system is supposed to be shut off when you are in port, or when land based service is available, like in the St Lawrence. I'd check my carrier's coverage map. That should tell you.

I like the fact that it will send me a text message the very second that I travel outside of Canada reminding me of the costs and also provide me with a promotional offer while I am outside of the country.

A few years ago when I went on a Caribbean cruise I didn't get any text messages from my provider about being outside of Canada, which I thought was strange because I had received them on prior trips. Then a few months after the cruise I turned my phone on one morning, and I had a bunch of new text messages waiting for me, saying Welcome to St. Maarten, Welcome to Grenada, Welcome to Barbados, Welcome to Curacao, Welcome to Aruba, and so on!

Regarding cruising the St. Lawrence, I think it depends on how far away from the shore the ship is as to whether the signal would be taken from land based service or the ship itself. I would imagine most providers would send a text message pretty quickly if you are outside of range; I'm sure the technology is more reliable nowadays than my experience in the Caribbean! :D

I'm with Rogers and on our cruise to alaska my phone stayed with rogers until we were out of Rogers coverage area. My phone then went to "carrier at sea". At that point I put my phone on airplane mode. As we got closer to the US ports, I checked to see if a US phone carrier was picking up (AT&T). I had purchased a US travel plan before we left so I can text the kids. At all 3 ports, I got AT&T.