Early Boarding on QM2

DarCrav

We just received our e-tickets for the Independence Cruise and our boarding time is listed for 2:00 p.m. How strict is Cunard about individual boarding times? If we get there early will be have to sit around until our designated time to go aboard or will we be allowed to board early?

Priority passengers---grills people as well as those with diamond and platinum status--board first. Depending on the port and number of priority passengers, this can take a while---could be as much as an hour---or could be a much shorter period of time.

If you arrive "early," you won't be treated any differently than passengers assigned slightly earlier times. You just won't board before the queue of priority passengers has cleared.

Comfort during a wait varies port to port. Some places have a good amount of seating. Some places you wait mostly standing in a queue.

We will be leaving from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. We did a Transatlantic from there in 2010 and unless it's changed, I found the terminal comfortable, organized, and with a lot of seating in the waiting area. Unless anyone has experienced anything differently since 2010.

We also have had no problem boarding early in Brooklyn. Last time we sailed on an eastward crossing was in August 2012. At that point, the situation was as you have described.

Have a great crossing!

The one issue with the Brooklyn terminal is that there is no food or beverage service, aside from coffee and water offered to Priority guests. If you arrive much before ~11:30 (boarding begins between 12:15 and 12:45 in my experience) you might be waiting hungry and thirsty.

Edited by Underwatr

I didn't remember whether there was food at the terminal or not, so that's important information to remember. I was thinking I'd like to arrive at the terminal around 12:30, so I'd be sure that our family had a late breakfast or brunch first.

We just received our e-tickets for the Independence Cruise and our boarding time is listed for 2:00 p.m. How strict is Cunard about individual boarding times? If we get there early will be have to sit around until our designated time to go aboard or will we be allowed to board early?

Nobody is turned away but the purpose of the staggered boarding times is to avoid having too many people show up at once. As one can imagine it takes a while to security screen and verify the documents of 2600 passengers.

FWIW, I did this voyage two years ago and had a Noon check in time and there was an outdoor line - in the hot July sun - of passengers waiting to enter the terminal. Evidently a lot of passengers wanted to get on the ship early and when this happens the demand overwhelms the security and check in processes.

My upcoming voyage however has assigned me a 3:15PM check-in where 3:30PM is the cutoff. You can guarantee that I'm going to be somewhat "early" and won't cut it that close!:eek: I figure I'll be fine anytime after 2PM as the initial crush will be over.

I don't recall any food service there since the Brooklyn terminal is not used nearly as often as the Manhattan terminals. Queen Mary 2 and two Princess ships are usually the only vessels to use it.

Edited by BlueRiband

Sometimes, one's arrival at the terminal is determined by factors not under one's control---such as coordinating arrival time with other transportation or check-out time of a hotel.

Ideally, everyone should arrive at their assigned time, but that is not always what is feasible.

The amount of embarkation queueing is always variable from voyage to voyage--even at the same port.

Our horror story was three and a half hours in Ft Lauderdale, boarding the QM2, mostly without seating available. People literally fainted.

After that, I have an entirely different perspective of what is a "difficult boarding" and just try to bring along (for the occasion) some extra patience as well as compassion for my fellow travelers...

As a reminder: anyone with standing difficulties can ask for assistance, if a situation becomes extreme. All ports provide wheelchairs, if one is necessary. Maybe, one doesn't have standing difficulties under normal situations, but better to ask for help than to have pride cometh before a fall…

(Just my opinion)