Who is in charge of QM2 electrical repairs, etc?

Leucothea

Is the Chief Engineer in charge of making repairs to staterooms, such as those involving noise, or electrical problems?

And I'm going to be annoying and ask one more time: Has anyone who has traveled on QM2 this past year noticed any particularly loud continuous noises in their staterooms? I'm talking about construction site loud.

Or, for that matter, any other huge, glaring "fatal flaw" in their stateroom that is apparently happening there for the very first time; and that they say is impossible to fix?

The Technical Department, headed by the Chief Engineer, is in charge of repairs.

Given your bad luck with excessive stateroom noise on board QM2, you might be happier sailing on another ship. I don't mean to belittle your complaint or deny that there was excessive noise. (I wasn't the one trying to sleep in that stateroom.) But if the source was never identified nobody can guarantee it won't happen again.

A modern ship consists of thousands of metal boxes. It will take a long time to find the source of a noise if it is not obvious.

I have all in all a good experience with the electrical departement.

We've never had to trouble the Technical Department about a noise problem (all the annoying shrieks we've ever heard were caused by balcony doors having been left ajar on windy days), but one of their engineers worked hard and very long to find and fix the thermostat fault that left us in a 62F (17C) cabin on October 1-2, 2011, on a QM2 Quebec cruise. We were pleased enough with his effort and results to give him a "You are a Star" card.

Hi Leucothea. Did you encounter that kind of loud sound on more than one voyage on QM2?

In answer to your question, no, I've been lucky enough not to have experienced a flaw they weren't able to fix. On one occasion, we had a horrible smell coming from the air vent in the bathroom throughout the night. The next morning, we told our cabin steward about it and repairs were completed by lunch time. -S.

We had a severe, continuous, clanking noise on the other side of our sheltered balcony wall last week. Obviously something was loose but whatever it was...we didn't have anything on our balcony that could have caused a noise like that. We didn't complain because it would have been our neighbors who would have had to deal with personnel coming into their cabin.

We had a severe, continuous, clanking noise on the other side of our sheltered balcony wall last week. Obviously something was loose but whatever it was...we didn't have anything on our balcony that could have caused a noise like that. We didn't complain because it would have been our neighbors who would have had to deal with personnel coming into their cabin.

I had that happen where it turned out that one of the between-stateroom balcony partitions had opened up. It was intended to be opened with a special tool to allow two balconies to connect. A call to below got it fixed within ten minutes.

The Technical Department, headed by the Chief Engineer, is in charge of repairs.

Given your bad luck with excessive stateroom noise on board QM2, you might be happier sailing on another ship. I don't mean to belittle your complaint or deny that there was excessive noise. (I wasn't the one trying to sleep in that stateroom.) But if the source was never identified nobody can guarantee it won't happen again.

Well, first of all, I will avoid any stateroom where such a noise occurred. This has only happened to me is such a severe way one time. I just thought I might find out if anyone else experienced this so I could know what else to avoid. I'm sure any problems are fixed now, and were most likely fixed soon after I experienced them.

Sail on another ship? Never. I'm an addict.

Edited by Leucothea
typo

Last Christmas we were about 3/4 of the way back on the port side in a deck 5 sheltered balcony. The engine air intakes are in about this location, above the deck 7 promenade. We could hear a continuous low hum (vaguely reminiscent of a distant foghorn) which seemed to be some resonance of the air intake piping.

On our first QM2 trip our balcony had a storm drain pipe that gurgled continuously.

Edited by Underwatr

A few weeks ago on QV I was in a room right at the front, above the theatre. I could hear practices from the theatre but fortunately I was in the ballroom during performances so didn't notice anything.

When we hit our first port, however, everything changed. For two hours as we manoevered into port the engine noise was completely different and loud. As I have a certain amount of noise sensitivity, I was in a bit of a state. Reception were excellent and arranged a change of room. I was pleased that one of the Reception staff (who'd previously told me that his own room is in the front of the ship and it's more noisy there) came to my room to give me the new key just as we left Madeira and the noise started up again. He exclaimed in astonishment 'It IS noisy.'

A few weeks ago on QV I was in a room right at the front, above the theatre. I could hear practices from the theatre but fortunately I was in the ballroom during performances so didn't notice anything.

When we hit our first port, however, everything changed. For two hours as we manoevered into port the engine noise was completely different and loud. As I have a certain amount of noise sensitivity, I was in a bit of a state. Reception were excellent and arranged a change of room. I was pleased that one of the Reception staff (who'd previously told me that his own room is in the front of the ship and it's more noisy there) came to my room to give me the new key just as we left Madeira and the noise started up again. He exclaimed in astonishment 'It IS noisy.'

The bow thrusters are very noisy, I had a shock once as the anchor dropped and the long length of chain rattled out from its storage. Fortunately I'm an early riser!

Everyone of the Purser's Office knows precisely each disadvantage of any stateroom. It is part of their job description. All complaint handeling is regulated accordingly and to be followed by the staff. None of them is 'nice' - they do exactly what they are instructed to do by the management.

Every ship or hotel has rooms with serious issues.

Everyone of the Purser's Office knows precisely each disadvantage of any stateroom. It is part of their job description. All complaint handeling is regulated accordingly and to be followed by the staff. None of them is 'nice' - they do exactly what they are instructed to do by the management.

I think that it is a little harsh to say that none of the Purser's staff are nice. I have met several who I would put in that category. Some of them are very nice!

I think that it is a little harsh to say that none of the Purser's staff are nice. I have met several who I would put in that category. Some of them are very nice!

No, I did not say that they aren't nice at all. Most of them are very nice.

But allocating another stateroom after a noise complaint is not nice, it's just their job an not their personal decision.

But allocating another stateroom after a noise complaint is not nice, it's just their job an not their personal decision.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your statement that "None of them is 'nice'" to mean that none of them are nice.

But the way that some of them do it can be described as 'nice'. The first woman I spoke to was very reassuring and encouraged me to go off and enjoy my day in Madeira without worrying, and to come back afterwards. The gentleman I spoke to in the afternoon was less encouraging (but then he hadn't seen the physical distress I was in after two hours of penetrating noise) but still went off and spoke to his supervisor and arranged a change.

The ship was running full, so I was pleased they did their best for me. I would have been happy to be put in an Oceanview room to get away from that noise. Instead I was put in the partially obstructed balcony that I had paid for, before their so-called upgrade.

Of course I went back the next day to tell them how quiet the new room was, and how pleased I was with it, and to thank them.

I do wish they would tell us about it, but then I'm sure that would not be good business. However, I think it would be nice if they could warn passengers, and offer discounted rates for those staterooms. After all, you don't pay a substantial fare to spend 7 days on a construction site.

Edited by Leucothea
typo again!

On the May 9th crossing, I noticed a sign by the purser's desk saying (something like) "we are full so no room changes are possible" (not those words, but that gist).

Sometimes, it seems there isn't anything that can be done in terms of moving passengers to another room.

DH and I have a current favorite cabin on the QM2 (without any ship noise issues), where we have stayed 4 times now.

On the May 9th crossing, I noticed a sign by the purser's desk saying (something like) "we are full so no room changes are possible" (not those words, but that gist).

Sometimes, it seems there isn't anything that can be done in terms of moving passengers to another room.

DH and I have a current favorite cabin on the QM2 (without any ship noise issues), where we have stayed 4 times now.

That sign is always there whether there are spare cabins or not.