Ryndam to Egypt in October?

toby bert

Hello,

I've been looking at the October 18th Ryndam sailing out of Istanbul and the itinerary has Egypt scheduled for the 24th and 25th.

Does anyone know if HAL has been stopping in Egypt recently? I'm a bit surprised to see Egypt still listed as a ports of call considering the current situation in Egypt.

I lost Egypt for two extra days in Israel on a 2011 Celebrity cruise, so I'm looking at these Egypt stops with a hairy eyeball from previous experience.

If it was up to me I'd prefer to call on on alternate ports, but I realize many may have booked this cruise specifically for Egypt, which I totally respect.

Anyone have any opinions on the chances of HAL keeping Egypt for October?

Ben

We asked the same question of our TA. She informed us that as we get closer HAL will make the call based on what US travel advisories are at that point. Currently I believe that they are stopping in Israel. Personally I would rather see us stop in Santorini!!! It is one port I was sorry not to see on an otherwise great itinerary.

All that said, I don't know how far out the decision is normally made, but all Egypt ports we cancelled up to Oct.

Vineyard View, I agree that Israel is the usual go-to alternate port for Egypt.

I'd be very happy with Santorini also and maybe Rhodes or Mykonos. Other possible options are Cyprus and Crete without burning too much fuel. Malta and an extra Sicily stop would be amazing, but would require other ports to be rescheduled, so unlikely.

It might be a game-day decision but I'm betting against Egypt. If they're considering changing the ports, the sooner the better. I'm sure that there's a fair amount of cruisers that are keen to see Egypt and many others such as myself that won't book unless they're changed.

Tough call for HAL. I just hope for those booked. it happens before final payment.

Hello,

I've been looking at the October 18th Ryndam sailing out of Istanbul and the itinerary has Egypt scheduled for the 24th and 25th.

Does anyone know if HAL has been stopping in Egypt recently? I'm a bit surprised to see Egypt still listed as a ports of call considering the current situation in Egypt.

I lost Egypt for two extra days in Israel on a 2011 Celebrity cruise, so I'm looking at these Egypt stops with a hairy eyeball from previous experience.

If it was up to me I'd prefer to call on on alternate ports, but I realize many may have booked this cruise specifically for Egypt, which I totally respect.

Anyone have any opinions on the chances of HAL keeping Egypt for October?

Ben

I think we were on the same cruise, Celebrity Silhouette October 2011? We had canceled a HAL cruise because they took Egypt off their sailings, only to have Celebrity do the same thing. ;) So yes, I wouldn't count on it happening. Looking back, having 4 days in Israel was amazing. I did feel bad though for DS and BIL who had never been to Egypt.

We got to Egypt on the Rotterdam in 2006 and would love to get back, but it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.

Tough call for HAL. I just hope for those booked. it happens before final payment.

We were told just about a month in advance that Egyptian ports had been cancelled on QE's world voyage (We went to Haifa instead). This was long after final payment was due even for those boarding the last segment in Dubai.

I'm surprised HAL has not cancelled as they were one of the first to cancel Egypt last year for the rest of 2013 and spring/summer 2014. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5587

Cruising-along, Yes, we were on the same cruise. We loved the Silhouette and four days in Israel was perfect. A great cruise. We were fortunate to visit Egypt in 2009 and would love go back at the right time as well.

Scrapnana Thanks for the update on your experience on the QE. A World voyage? Fantastic. The link to HAL cancelling Egypt is helpful. I expect this may be repeated again this October.

If anyone is considering sailing on the Ryndam, we had a great time on her in 2012. If you don't mind an older vessel, you'll find it a very pleasant and classic ship with a wonderful crew.

HAL went to Egypt (Safaga) during our WC 2011 and we went to Sharm el Sheik on WC 2012.

Also, we are now booked on the Ms Rotterdam African Explorer on Sept 25 (85 days) and there are 3 stops planned in Egypt. Safaga, Sharm el Sheik and Port Said (for Cairo). If they cancel Egypt on that cruise, they cannot send us to Israel, Malta, Jordan, etc because these ports are already on the same itinerary. :eek:

In all cases, we have not heard anything as yet !!!

Of these 3 ports, Port Said for Cairo is the most uncertain, the other 2 are considered safer since we went in 2011 and 2012 even if Cairo was cancelled.

Que sera sera !

Edited by happyglobetrotter

Personally, I wouldn't mind an overnight in Malaga as there is so much to see there. I think the difficult part on the Around Africa is they probably have had their slot for the Suez for a long time and it isn't easy to change. So, I am guessing they already have some alternate ports lined up ie Istanbul, Crete, etc. I was on the 85 day but just rebooked for only 49.