Driving RV to Independence Mine

JosieRhodes

Just trying to clarify if the road to Independence Mine/Hatcher Pass is paved all the way, if driving to it from the Palmer side?

As was looking at our RV contract and of course it states that the "Hatcher Pass Road - Willow to Wasilla-Fishhook Road' is prohibited, and I just want to confirm whether can make it all the way to Independence Mine from the Palmer direction without going on the prohibited road.

As I admit I am not the best at reading maps, and was trying to see route on map quest, and was uncertain if still need to be on this "fishhook road" a bit to get to where park to visit Independence Mine, even if coming from Palmer side?

Any input appreciated as we would really like to go to Independece Mine and was wondering about this. Thanks.

Karen

The road into Hatcher Pass Lodge/Independence Mine is indeed paved from the Glenn Highway (from Palmer to Hatcher Pass). This road is open year-round (with the occasional closure due to extreme conditions).

The road from Hatcher Pass Lodge/Independence Mine down to the Parks Highway is seasonal and is not paved. This seasonal road is the one which would take you down to the Wasilla/Willow area.

There are a couple you tube videos that a search will lead you to that shows the road and views. The drones in the winter are really something. You just have to watch out for the motorcycle videos that weave back and fourth and made me car sick.

We are planning on doing it in June after Iditarod Headquarters and the Musk Ox farm.

sightcrr

take a look here http://www.alaskavisit.com/visitors/itineraries/scenic-drives-and-rv-trips/hatcher-pass-road-and-independence-gold-mine/

It looks like the upper regions of this road are not passable until the snow melts in July. I also found this

How to get to Independence Mine from Anchorage?

Drive To Alaska Driving to Independence Mine? Getting to Independence Mine from Anchorage is as easy as heading north on the Parks Highway past Elmendorf Air Force and Fort Richardson Army bases. Follow the signs for Eagle River but stay on the highway and continue towards Palmer/Glennallen. Once you pass through the town of Palmer it's time to watch for Fishhook Road. There is a sign for Independence Mine State Park before the turn. Turn left onto Fishhook Road and now it's just a scenic drive up the side of the mountain along the cascading Little Susitna River and into the Alpine Valley's high above tree line. The road is windy but it is paved all the way and there are many scenic pullouts that are great for taking photos or having a picnic.

Edited by bonvoyagie