Pre cruise Hotel

Jimsgirl

I have a cruise booked for July 6th on QM2 staying one night re cruise at Grand Hyatt, using Cunard package, page 24 2014 brochure cost shows $330. Because I am travelling solo I had to pay Cunard $590, although this seemed a bit like being gouged for being solo I paid that, on the final payment

However trying to book a further cruise QM2 Sept 27th booking into Hyatt for pre cruise one night solo Cunard are now asking $790

I am absolutely shocked. I called the Hotel and was told that the cost of the room for that night solo would be $350, which means that Cunard are charging $440 for transport from JFK to hotel and from Hotel to ship next day. This cost seems unacceptable.

Has anyone else had this experience.

P.S. Yes I know I can book hotel personally and take transport by myself, but I wanted the Cunard package due to age and travelling solo .

I haven't used a Cunard hotel/transfer, so I don't know how good the service is, but for that kind of money, I'd expect them to be standing at the luggage carousel, ready to pull my bags off the belt and carry them all the way to my hotel room!

It sounds like the pre-cruise package is doubling the per-person charge just as they do with the cabins. Have you called Cunard to check the price?

If you really want the convenience of the Cunard package, there isn't much you can do. But I'd look for a hotel in Brooklyn and use taxis for the two transfers. Or book an airport hotel with a shuttle service and then just take a taxi the next day. Even a car service is cheaper than $440.

Does the transfer really give you that much more help? Or is it the convenience of buying a pre-organized package that you prefer?

Have you thought about taking a taxi from your New York airport straight to a Brooklyn hotel? The New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge is a great hotel and only about a 15 minute taxi ride the next day to the Red Hook pier. Lots of taxis in front of the hotel each morning so transportation to the ship is never a problem. The total cost would certainly be a lot less than $790!!

Have you thought about taking a taxi from your New York airport straight to a Brooklyn hotel? The New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge is a great hotel and only about a 15 minute taxi ride the next day to the Red Hook pier. Lots of taxis in front of the hotel each morning so transportation to the ship is never a problem. The total cost would certainly be a lot less than $790!!

Thank you for your very helpful answer. I checked out the Marriot, and was amazed ,

the cost was $349 solo (plus tax of course). The hotel has a restaurant (which the Hyatt does not have) , and is close to the ship terminal.

I have reserved a room for Sept 26th and can cancel without penalty up to Sept 25th.

Even paying for a cab from JFK, the cost will be considerably less than $790. The saving will almost pay for my round trip air before and after the cruise.

I cannot think what the marketing people at Cunard are thinking to put the cost up so high.

The hotels I was offered are not "top of the tree" At least two do not have a restaurant, and have NO coffee making facilities in the rooms.

Thank you again for your help.

Lynn

I'm so happy that you were able to use my suggestion. If you arrive early enough you might enjoy walking for about 3 blocks past the gorgeous old Brownstone homes that are so famous in Brooklyn and, at the end of the street, you have a gorgeous view looking back to Manhattan. The parking attendants at the Marriott can point out the way and it's not far.

We will be boarding the QM2 for a month the day you end your long summer voyage. I have wished we could meet you but we just miss you by a few hours. Maybe someday! We'll be on another TA on June 21st, 2015. Perhaps you will be on that one.

Cheers from Hawaii,

Patti

You are correct, Thaxted; the schedule says QM2 departs from Manhattan. Very unusual. The new and gigantic Royal Princess is scheduled for Brooklyn. Lynn, you had better call Cunard to confirm but it does look like you will depart from Manhattan. Lucky Thaxted caught that.

Great call, John!

Jim's Girl,

It is possible to stay in a lovely Manhattan hotel and enjoy a limo from or sedan, via a car service, from the airport to the hotel, dinner in the hotel or a nearby restaurant ( or even room service,) and a taxi to the ship for far less than Cunard's charge. The bellman will help you with your luggage and the doorman will flag a taxi for you.

Ricki

Great call, John!

Jim's Girl,

It is possible to stay in a lovely Manhattan hotel and enjoy a limo from or sedan, via a car service, from the airport to the hotel, dinner in the hotel or a nearby restaurant ( or even room service,) and a taxi to the ship for far less than Cunard's charge. The bellman will help you with your luggage and the doorman will flag a taxi for you.

Ricki

Thank you all for your replies.

I have always taken the Cunard package in the past, I have to use a wheelchair at the airport and cannot haul my bags off the luggage roundabout, I have never paid such an exorbitant price as $790 . I phoned Cunard thinking it might be an error in type, to be told by a staffer, that in fact the price was rising and that $790 was correct - "the cost of the package changes with the cruise and the month, it will be more closer to the cruise" was his excuse .

I checked with all the hotels offered to me, and each gave me a price solo for the date concerned of under $400, which does mean that Cunard are really gouging passengers for the transport. This is quite unacceptable behavior.

I know that passengers have complained re the shore tours (which I do not take as I do not normally go ashore), but I never realized just how much above mere profit Cunard could charge.

I have booked Marriot at Brooklyn Bridge, but if the ship really is going out of Manhattan I may change to the Grand Hyatt. I have a booking for that Hotel for the July cruise, so will have an opportunity to decide then.

It is interesting to note that the Cunard package for meet/transport/hotel/transport for my July cruise is $590- for the exact same package.

See anyone going in July and then again in Sept at a meet.

Lynn, this isn't regarding hotels, but if you didn't already know, thought you might be interested to learn that Kim Novak is booked as an Insight Speaker on the July 6 crossing.

"Cunard Line is pleased to announce that legendary actress Kim Novak will join flagship Queen Mary 2 on her eastbound 6 July 2014 Transatlantic Crossing as a Cunard Insights speaker on board. Guests and fans aboard the seven-night voyage will be treated to two film screenings in the Royal Court Theatre, followed by a Q&A session with the renowned star..." copied from https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cunard-line-welcomes-kim-novak-123000379.html

Edited by Salacia

Lynn, this isn't regarding hotels, but if you didn't already know, thought you might be interested to learn that Kim Novak is booked as an Insight Speaker on the July 6 crossing.

"Cunard Line is pleased to announce that legendary actress Kim Novak will join flagship Queen Mary 2 on her eastbound 6 July 2014 Transatlantic Crossing as a Cunard Insights speaker on board. Guests and fans aboard the seven-night voyage will be treated to two film screenings in the Royal Court Theatre, followed by a Q&A session with the renowned star..." copied from https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cunard-line-welcomes-kim-novak-123000379.html

I did not now that news, how clever of you to find it. Thank you so much for the info, I am sure that I will be attending . Of course, seeing her around the ship may prove interesting.!

When I worked for Paramount Pictures in London (back when I was young and innocent) we were all thrilled to learn that Bing Crosby and Ray Milland were coming to the offices. Then they arrived , two wrinkled , bald old men!, We could not believe these were the same people we saw on the screen. Believe me the makeup dept. performed miracles on them for the films.

Recently I saw on my computer pictures of present day stars without makeup. Same thing , miracles for films, TV or "Red Carpet".

Though come to think of it, I do the same thing on a smaller scale for when the occasion merits it. I would not want to go to dinner in Bitannia looking as I do when I wake up in the morning.