Disabled

tokyo

My partner has mobility problems, she needs to use a walking frame. We were wondering if we would see much by just taking a slow walk from the cruise terminal for about 45 mins before turning back.

My partner is not keen to use water busses as she had a fall last time we were there.

We have both been to Venice a couple of times and seen the main sights. Has anyone any info the could pass on.

Are you asking for Venice only? If so, I would recommend taking the water shuttle offered by most cruise lines to Piazza San Marco where there is a lot to see.

From Piazza San Marco you could also catch a vaporetto to ride up and down the Grand Canal. We enjoy Line 1 for sightseeing as it stops a nearly every boarding point.

Lew

OP mentioned not using the water buses. Everyone is suggesting the vaporetto and that is the water bus.

The ship shuttle may be better than the vaporetto, not sure as I didn't use the ship shuttle.

But there isn't going to be much to see from the pier in a 45 minute span. I don't think a mobility impaired person is even going to make it from the pier to Piazzale Roma in 45 minutes.

I don't use a walker, but I do have mobility issues. Once at the ship, I would not venture back into Venice.

Venice (or Europe for that matter) is not very accommodating for disabled/mobility impaired people.

OP mentioned not using the water buses. Everyone is suggesting the vaporetto and that is the water bus.

True, she also mentioned she needs to use a walking frame. I can't imagine a person with mobility issues navigating Venice with a walking frame.

Knowing the OP's partner experienced a fall while using a watercraft, it's still the best mode of transportation for her in Venice.

Lew

St. Mark's Square is flat. There are one or two steps. There is no reason she couldn't visit there and take in the sights and sounds but I would recommend getting your friend a wheelchair. This will allow her to sit if waiting in line to see the Basillica or strolling along the water. There are ramps now on the bridges along the Basin and if you can push her- you can do that.

There are no vaporettos into the port but vaporettos, while crowded, are easy for people with mobility issues. There are no steps in and out of them but there are many people getting on and off quickly and sometimes not enough seats. So the ship shuttle would be best. Ask on board if there will be any issues with wheelchairs or walkers on the ship shuttle before purchasing tickets. There is a picture of the shuttle here...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1804251

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain