Akureyri

Hi Nitemare

Want to visit godafoss waterfall.Is this possible with public transport or do you need to hire a car? Also are the botanical gardens worth a visit.Will be arriving in Iceland in July.

Hi Nitemare

Want to visit godafoss waterfall.Is this possible with public transport or do you need to hire a car? Also are the botanical gardens worth a visit.Will be arriving in Iceland in July.

I found the botanical gardens worth the visit. I was amazed at what can be grown in that climate with such a small growing season.

Ecuador:

We didn't take any public transportation other than airport to Reykjavik, so I can't really say.

The botanical gardens in Reykjavik are very nice. I wouldn't make a special trip to see them, but if that's your thing then it is worth it. We went because we were in Reykjavik at the end of a 10 day tour of the country, and didn't want to venture too far from our hotel on the last day and it was a short walk away.

Nitemare

Looking at two ship excursions, one to godafoss,Laufas folk museum and botanical gardens and the other to godafoss and botanical gardens.They are both half days so this would give us time to explore Akureyri. Just trying to decide on which excursion is best.

Nitemare

Looking at two ship excursions, one to godafoss,Laufas folk museum and botanical gardens and the other to godafoss and botanical gardens.They are both half days so this would give us time to explore Akureyri. Just trying to decide on which excursion is best.

I think we skipped Godafoss as we'd already been to a half dozen waterfalls by that time. Definitely skipped the folk museum . . . just googled it, we did a walkaround as the museum was not open, we just looked at and into the turf houses there, but we're not "folk museum" types.

The only botanical garden we saw was the one in Reykjavik.

Akureyri is a neat little town with good shopping, but if you have a chance to go to Myvatn and to the baths there and the caldera, you really should, as this is some of the best parts of the natural wonders of Iceland.

Dettifoss is a really cool waterfall in that region as well.

[The only botanical garden we saw was the one in Reykjavik.

Akureyri is a neat little town with good shopping, but if you have a chance to go to Myvatn and to the baths there and the caldera, you really should, as this is some of the best parts of the natural wonders of Iceland.

Dettifoss is a really cool waterfall in that region as well.

Hello,

last year, on a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, we called at Akureyri.

we took the ship excursion to lake Myvatn, the solfataras (sulphur springs and muds), and the Godafoss waterfalls.

We enjoyed good weather during the tour, whereas the weather was dull in AKurery.

I would recommand the ship's tour for that excursion, as it's not possible to do it on your own. Like Nitemare, I would strongly recommandant this tour.

As for the botanical garden, we saw it and it's a beautiful one.

Absolutely no need to take a ships tour to explore the city; you can do it on foot (botanical garden, folks museum, the main church (uphill).

We had the time to take the excursion inland and walked around town for a couple of hours.

Hope this help,

Jacques O, Paris.

Do take a trip to the interior, this is an amazing place, and because of the long daylight everything GROWS...The waterfall is unique , the lava fields, and the geothermal areas, lakes with many birds. Well worth learning about the place, on a tour. Enjoy.

Thanks everyone.

What about hiring a car from Akureyri and going to those places at your own pace. There are not that many roads so it should be easy to do a DIY trip. As an alternative, what about going Whale Watching on the Ambassador boat in the Fjord if you are interested in getting relatively close to these magnificent creatures