Departing from the North East - Summer 2015

Hi All,

We are looking to book a cruise for next summer for 4 families. We all live in the northeast so we've decided it's easiest and most affordable to leave from NYC area or Boston.

We are running into a planning roadblock. Two of the kids will be just shy of three years old at sailing time. Parents want childcare available, and you must be 3 or older on NCL. This stinks because it takes the Dawn from Boston and Breakaway from NYC out of the equasion.

In my research I've only come across three options. A 5 night Bermuda cruise on Royal, 8 nights on Carnival Splendor, or 9 nights on Royal. I think Splendor is the only option time wise. For us, 5 nights is a tease and 9 is too long with kids and time off work.

I've heard mixed reviews of the Splendor, and I'm not a huge Carnival fan in general. I've heard it's an older ship. The adult entertainment is lacking. I felt that way about our cruise on the Dream several years ago. I do very much like the itinerary though. But I normally cruise for the ship.

Am I missing another option out of the NE?

Anyone have any advice? Been on any of these cruises?

While I really want to take this group trip, I want to enjoy the ship. We are the only childless couple in the group. If it were up to just me, we'd be on the Breakway, or leaving from Florida!

Thanks for listening.

Have you looked at the Grandeur from Baltimore? 7 days round trip to Bermuda. It's further to drive, but other expenses like parking would be less than NYC. They offer a royal tots program for under 3 year olds, which means you have programs for parent and child plus the option of babysitting for $6-8/ hour. IMO it may really be worth the extra drive time.

Today is the last day for the Royal BOGOHO program - price it out immediately to see if it suits and throw some deposit money at it to secure the price. There's no down side to doing this if you can pick a date.

And in 2015, I'm pretty sure HAL is going to Bermuda again. Check their website. On the plus side, consider yourself lucky that NCL is not in the equation. We were on it last year out of NYC and NOT impressed, at all! Will not sail on NCL again!

I totally agree with 123east - cruising out of Baltimore on the Grandeur is SO easy! The ship is great and the port is one of the most organized embarkation/debarkation we have ever experienced. We found very good prices on the sailing to Bermuda we booked in May - and of course there's the sale!