Alaska Dress Question

Montaname

Thanks for the post as this was my same question. We normally cruise NCL because we like the option to dress up or not. I'm trying to decide what to pack for our first cruise on Princess.

We've been to Alaska before on NCL and I wore jeans for dinner, which I normally don't do when we cruise the Caribbean on NCL, and just felt that overall it was more casual than our other cruises.

I was wondering if dark jeans would be okay on the non-formal nights in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants. We have a couple of long days in port where I'm sure we will want to board and go straight to dinner without having to change. Also, because I'm taking so many layers for during the day if I can pack less dinner clothes and shoes that would help.

Thanks for the post as this was my same question. We normally cruise NCL because we like the option to dress up or not. I'm trying to decide what to pack for our first cruise on Princess.

We've been to Alaska before on NCL and I wore jeans for dinner, which I normally don't do when we cruise the Caribbean on NCL, and just felt that overall it was more casual than our other cruises.

I was wondering if dark jeans would be okay on the non-formal nights in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants. We have a couple of long days in port where I'm sure we will want to board and go straight to dinner without having to change. Also, because I'm taking so many layers for during the day if I can pack less dinner clothes and shoes that would help.

Any color nice jeans are fine in the dining room on non-formal nights. Like you, I don't ever wear jeans in the Caribbean and don't even pack them. But I wore them most nights we were in port late on our Alaska cruise.

I think you meant Garden but good luck with that one especially when they've turned others away from eating there.

No, I think she meant to say Garbage. I figured she doesn't care for the Olive Garden dining experience.

Edited by Treven

I suppose but although Olive Garden isn't the greatest place it's still not all that bad. Maybe she's more used to places like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. ;)

Actually I like to eat at Olive Garden and Red Lobster. I've never been to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. A number of years ago I asked a young man to have dinner with me. He said, "are you going to take me to Morton's to try and impress me?" I told him that I'd never been to Morton's and I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I then cancelled my dinner invite.

Edited by Treven

Whoa...kindly do not infer that there is any anti-Olive Garbage/Dread Lobster "bigotry" in my earlier post.

In fact I often resort to fast-casual eateries when I am traveling or on my own. But purely as a means of sustenance--in no way shape or form do I consider that a "meal" in the classic sense of the word.

It was not so long ago that the Main Dining Rooms of a cruise ship were viewed as the equivalent of fine dining on land.

Now it seems that most cruisers view the upcharge restaurants on board as no better than all those ubiquitous family-oriented franchise outlets--with dress and deportment equivalently devolved.

Just makes me a little sad, that's all...