Alaska Dress Question

Montaname

I have asked this question in several existing threads without getting a response. Are Alaskan cruises more casual than other cruises as far as dress? We do not usually cruise on Princess. Is it more formal for dinner wear than other cruise lines? Thanks!

Just returned from the May 24 Alaska cruise aboard the Golden Princess. Dress was absolutely more casual on this cruise than any other Princess cruises we've taken. Even on formal nights, people wore polo shirts, jeans, etc in the dining rooms. On other nights, I felt overdressed in nice slacks and sweaters. During the days, most folks wore jeans, sweatshirts, shorts, and flip flops. It didn't bother me at all to have people be so casual. In all honesty, things seemed very relaxed and we had a great time. Hope you do as well.

When I went in 2012 the dress code seemed relaxed but appropriate - jeans, layered tops, jackets. In the evening people wore what I consider business casual for dinners in the dining room, jeans still in the buffet. "Formal" nights people dressed a bit better but not everyone wore cocktail attire. We wore slacks and nice sweaters. There were a few on the ship who were dressed better than others, but not to the point that it seemed odd. Everyone seemed to be having fun - period.

This is probably a silly question, but do you think it makes a difference in the size of ship?

We are going to Alaska on our first small ship, the Pacific Princess, and wondered if it would be dressier than the larger ships. Looking at the photos it seems to have the look of the liners from years ago.

We have been on a Princess cruise to Alaska for the last two summers. The dress was much more casual than any other cruise I've been on. I wore mostly jeans, long sleeved top and jean jacket during the day and slacks and sweater or top for evening. This year dh said he's not going to take his sports jacket for the formal nights. He'll wear dress shirt, tie and slacks and still be better dressed than over 50% of the men. You can pretty much count on jeans in the dining room the first and last night. I way over packed the first year, packed less last year and will pack even less this year.

on smart casual nights, some people wore nice pants, sweaters and tops. however, jeans were not uncommon and you certainly would be out of place in them. on formal nights, polos, button ups, and sweaters were worn by some while others dressed up in cocktail dresses. a few tuxes, but that's it. my husband did wish he had brought a suit jacket, but didn't stick out in his dress pants and button up shirt. I don't recall seeing any gowns on women.

I think this is a good indication. When I was on my Alaska cruise I was selected for the Chef's Table. Since this is a fancy dinner, taking 2+ hours and costing nearly $100, I wore dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie. I was way overdressed. One guy had on a polo and dress jeans, the other guys had on slacks and polos. The women were dressed about the same level.

Hope this helps.

Alaska seems to attract younger cruisers. Especially the 7 day cruises. They tend to be much more casual in dress then the seniors on longer cruises.

So true. It also answers the question that Princess has turned a blind eye towards anyone who doesn't follow their suggested dress recommendations.

So true. It also answers the question that Princess has turned a blind eye towards anyone who doesn't follow their suggested dress recommendations.

It is their line they can do it anyway they want. After all they are just, as you stated, suggestions.

Edited by Potstech

Alaska seems to attract younger cruisers. Especially the 7 day cruises. They tend to be much more casual in dress then the seniors on longer cruises.

Huh? I've only cruised Alaska, so I can't compare to other areas, but I wouldn't say that the passengers are "younger". Lots of families, but also LOTS of older people. Many times we have been seated at tables of 8-10 where I was the youngest person by far, and I'm in my mid 40s.

Caribill's photo is pretty accurate. Maybe some wouldn't consider it to be "formal" but it is definitely dressy. While you will see men in Dockers and polo shirts on formal nights, they are very much in the minority and look out of place.

My husband will be taking his suit as always this year, and my sons will be bringing their tuxedos. They already own them (for band) so they might as well get good use out of them.

This is probably a silly question, but do you think it makes a difference in the size of ship?

We are going to Alaska on our first small ship, the Pacific Princess, and wondered if it would be dressier than the larger ships. Looking at the photos it seems to have the look of the liners from years ago.

That is very difficult to predict. If it were a longer voyage, I would say it would be dressier. I would suggest that during the day you are going to see people dressed comfortably - and clean, nice jeans would be appropriate.

In the evening, Alaska attire tends to be somewhat more relaxed than other itineraries, however a suit for gentlemen and dressy slacks and top would not be out of place on formal nights. I personally would not choose jeans for the dining room on smart casual nights, even in Alaska. Khakis and polo shirt for men, nice slacks and shirt for ladies would be fine though. I do not think you will feel out of place with those choices, no matter what the demographic turns out to be on the ship for the Alaska itinerary.

Yes, you are going to some of either extreme, but taking the middle ground tends to work out well most of the time. It's been our experience that people tend to respect the ambience of the fixed seating dining room on these small ships.

The thing is, there is not anytime dining on the small ships. There is fixed seating, one of the two alternative dining rooms (either the steakhouse or the Italian restaurant) and the buffet. (And the buffet, while small, is IMHO very nice.)

We did a 14 day Alaskan itinerary on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess and found what I described above to be the norm. I hope that is helpful to you.

On all three of our cruises to Alaska we've left our tuxedos at home. I wore a sports coat over a dress shirt and tie on the formal nights. DH wore a suit with dress shirt and tie. I did not see any men dressed in just khakis and a polo shirt. I saw a few in long-sleeve dress shirts and ties.

On all three of our cruises to Alaska we've left our tuxedos at home. I wore a sports coat over a dress shirt and tie on the formal nights. DH wore a suit with dress shirt and tie. I did not see any men dressed in just khakis and a polo shirt. I saw a few in long-sleeve dress shirts and ties.
Same here. DH took his tux but wore it for just one formal night per cruise (the first one, which tends to be dressier). The other he wore a long sleeved shirt and tie. He felt out of place in his tux.

I wouldn't consider Alaska cruisers young; we've never met so many people celebrating their 50th anniversary in our lives. They're also not particularly well-cruised, and so most don't have tuxes and long dresses and the like, and many dressed like they would to go to church on Sunday (which, no need to comment, is surely dressier than most younger people dress to go to church on Sundays). I saw lots of sport coats and dresses, and not very many sparkles and flash.

I wore jeans for dinner in the dining room, only because the stays in port are so much later, and we would frequently re-board the ship and go directly to dinner dressed as we had been for the day. Jeans and hiking boots, and no one batted an eye. DH was even seated on embarkation day wearing shorts. We went to check the dining room lines, and the headwaiter told us he'd seat us right away, and we were dressed fine. I do think Alaska cruises are more casual.

Same here. ... DH was even seated on embarkation day wearing shorts. We went to check the dining room lines, and the headwaiter told us he'd seat us right away, and we were dressed fine. I do think Alaska cruises are more casual.

As far as embarkation day dinner, I'm sure dress codes are very relaxed as a lot of folks might not have their luggage yet.

Edited by Treven

The interiors are beautiful, very traditional, but they don't necessarily dictate dress in the MDR. I have found Alaska to be like other cruises. Formal night will have some tuxes, gowns, and more suits and fancy tops. The totally casual jeans and Tshirt is still rare on formal night. Regular dressing is still casual, but you don't see a lot of people dressed like lumberjacks. I suppose the big difference is that on a smaller ship, you are more noticeable, one of maybe 300 at dinner instead of one of a thousand. Which may or may not be a good thing. :)

We were on the Golden Princess on May 17th cruise...

We liked the ship and the cruise to Alaska..

I do not like to dress up in Formal wear anymore.. I did go to the buffet on those nights even thou we liked the main dining rooms, keeping with the recommendations that Princess posted..

Golden has three main dining rooms, would have been nice if one was OK to

use as smart casual during Formal nights... I will probably not cruise Princess again until they change, but don't think that will happen anytime soon..

I think this is a good indication. When I was on my Alaska cruise I was selected for the Chef's Table. Since this is a fancy dinner, taking 2+ hours and costing nearly $100, I wore dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie. I was way overdressed. One guy had on a polo and dress jeans, the other guys had on slacks and polos. The women were dressed about the same level.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the warning. Our family is still trying to pick an August cruise (I know, time to decide is running out) among several lines to celebrate the round-number birthdays of me and my mom. Now I know for sure we won't do the Chef's Table to celebrate. If I was spending nearly $100 per person and arrived to find my tablemates dressed as if they were going out to the Olive Garbage I would walk out and demand my money back. And FYI: while a woman may get away with it there is no such thing as "dress" denim for a man. Period.

So flame away, I can take it. And to the poster who promised not to return to Princess until they even further relax the dress code: See ya, wouldn't wanta be ya...

T If I was spending nearly $100 per person and arrived to find my tablemates dressed as if they were going out to the Olive Garbage I would walk out and demand my money back.

I think you meant Garden but good luck with that one especially when they've turned others away from eating there.

On our first Alaska cruise, I took my Tux and wore it on formal nights. On our second Alaska cruise, I took a sport coat and wore it with Docker style slacks, dress shirt and tie. On our Caribbean cruise and Panama Canal cruise I took my Tux. We do social ballroom dancing. Some dances are formal; so I own my own Tux. My light weight tux actually takes up less room than a suit, and no more room than my sport coats.

On all four cruises we have done, regardless of how casual we dress during the day, I always were Docker style trousers and either a polo shirt or button shirt for smart casual nights in the dining room.

During the day on Alaska cruises, I wore jeans and long sleeve shirts.

Thanks for the warning. Our family is still trying to pick an August cruise (I know, time to decide is running out) among several lines to celebrate the round-number birthdays of me and my mom. Now I know for sure we won't do the Chef's Table to celebrate. If I was spending nearly $100 per person and arrived to find my tablemates dressed as if they were going out to the Olive Garbage I would walk out and demand my money back. And FYI: while a woman may get away with it there is no such thing as "dress" denim for a man. Period.

So flame away, I can take it. And to the poster who promised not to return to Princess until they even further relax the dress code: See ya, wouldn't wanta be ya...

ANd you would get nothing back but it is your decision to ask for it. Please let us know how it turns out.

I have asked this question in several existing threads without getting a response. Are Alaskan cruises more casual than other cruises as far as dress? We do not usually cruise on Princess. Is it more formal for dinner wear than other cruise lines? Thanks!

We just got off the Star Princess and people were dressed casually. Lots of people wearing jeans and T-shirts. I wore sweat pants and a thermal top in the mornings as I walked the Promenade deck right after breakfast, then I changed into jeans. Ladies wore nice slacks and a nice top, and mean wore sports shirt and jeans or khaki pants. On formal night women did wear cocktail dresses and men dressed in suits. Don't worry about not fitting in, whatever you wear will be okay (except bathing suits to the MDR or buffet).