Teachers

Okay! I've been reading the posts and I have finally decided that I need to make a comment. I have been a teacher in Texas for 22 years. I love my job and yes I made the choice to be a teacher. My salary is based on a 10 month contract but is spread out for all 12 months. I teach 60 students. I am at school by 7:30 every morning. I do not leave until 5:00 or later and I take work home nights and weekends. I will only receive teachers retirement when I retire and I will not receive SS. I will not receive free health care. I will pay for my health care. I am not looking for a discount. We ALL made a choice on our profession.

Well said. Many do not know what goes into teaching outside of the school day and unless they are involved, they don't need to know. I thought I would mention that teachers in Ohio also have to take and pay for 6 graduate hour credits per each 5 year renewal cycle. Then we get to pay another $250.00 for our license so we can go to work and then even more money for updated fingerprinting. All this while paying off the bachelor and master degrees required to be considered "highly qualified." I also worked and accumulated enough social security credits prior to the start of my career, but will not be able to collect on it because it would be considered double dipping. How is that when I paid into it?? I love my job, that is why I chose it. If we are so over paid and under worked, get your degree(s) and join us. I guarantee you're perception of the ease of my paycheck may change once you're in the classroom.

You obviously have absolutely no idea what teachers do or the hours of preparation required. Teachers don't just show up for class and start teaching they prepare for the classes extensively. Most teachers who care about the way they do their job start work well before students arrive and finish well after students leave. They also go to the school weeks in advance of the start of the school year to prepare their classroom usually at their own expense so that children have a bright and cheery and mentally stimulating place to go to learn. You really think it is good pay to gross $46,694 per year after earning a masters degree? And yes they do have the choice to go into a different profession. Thank God they don't all do so!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I will agree I don't know everything a Teacher does, but I did post what that same Masters degree per year becomes after 10 years

it is $73,454 a year in salary, and that doesn't include benefits.

As a comparison a 10 year veteran of the Philadelphia Police Department, makes $65,567 per year, with or without a masters degree, they work 261 days a year, nights/weekends no snow days, no spring break etc: and no two month vacation each summer. Again all public records easy to check.

Edited by Mac303

Mr. Steve Ross - 5th grade

Mrs Phyllis Drayton 7th grade social studies

Mr. Feinstein 9th grade algebra

Dr. Dianne Tobias freshman calculus

Four of the best teachers ever, without whom I wouldn't be the self-sufficient, productive member of society that I am -certainly wouldn't be able to go on lovely cruises. :)

None of us would have careers/jobs of any kind if not for the teachers who prepared us.

I think it would be wonderful for educators to receive cruise discounts, and they all deserve a raise. (It's fine to disagee with that, but please think twice before bashing one of the most noble professions.)

Cheers.

Happy cruising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Well said. Many do not know what goes into teaching outside of the school day and unless they are involved, they don't need to know. I thought I would mention that teachers in Ohio also have to take and pay for 6 graduate hour credits per each 5 year renewal cycle. Then we get to pay another $250.00 for our license so we can go to work and then even more money for updated fingerprinting. All this while paying off the bachelor and master degrees required to be considered "highly qualified." I also worked and accumulated enough social security credits prior to the start of my career, but will not be able to collect on it because it would be considered double dipping. How is that when I paid into it?? I love my job, that is why I chose it. If we are so over paid and under worked, get your degree(s) and join us. I guarantee you're perception of the ease of my paycheck may change once you're in the classroom.

Teacher bashing never ends. I taught for 37 years. I used to joke with people who said teachers were well compensated. I would say that I wanted to get paid even less than a baby sitter...just $3 an hour per kid...that would be roughly $90 an hour for 7 hours...$630 a day for 5 days..$3150 a week for the school year would amount to roughly $116,550 a year just to BABY SIT!! Now, if you want me to TEACH them something...that should cost a LOT more!

Edited by jimandtoni

I will agree I don't know everything a Teacher does, but I did post what that same Masters degree per year becomes after 10 years

As a comparison a 10 year veteran of the Philadelphia Police Department, makes $65,567 per year, with or without a masters degree, they work 261 days a year, nights/weekends no snow days, no spring break etc: and no two month vacation each summer. Again all public records easy to check.

Actually 11 weeks off for us....and guess what I have done on my vacation so far..... Nothing because there is no rush since I have 73 days off until I go back. And next Friday I leave on my week long cruise. Then I coach golf....which I get paid for as well.

People can hate on my professional all they want.....there is a shortage of us you know....go get your degree and experience it for yourself.

BTW.....The Pension is awesome.

Sounds like a great deal if you can get it. I'd love a job like that too. To be clear though, in Ohio not every teacher gets the same deal, each district has it's own teachers unions to argue with and come up with a different contract.

If you would love a job like a teacher's, why don't you go to college for a minimum of six years and become a teacher?

I really wish there was a way to remove my post from this thread. As my original post stated, I never would expect a discount, however it would be a nice treat. My trip this summer has no such discount. Splashing teacher salaries online is not factual in the age of pay cuts and pay freezes. Especially since I do not teach in a public school and my salary is not public ;) I never intended my post to complain about my job, I was just saying it makes travel even more difficult as our new schedule is very prohibitive. However, I know it could be much worse, and in many districts it could be much less flexible. Enjoy your cruises everyone, we all deserve to relax and recharge no matter what time of year we can travel :)

Philadelphia Police Officers work 261 days? That means they get 104 days off..divided by 7 =14.85 weeks off, which is 3.7 months...not too bad either!

Philadelphia Police Officers work 261 days? That means they get 104 days off..divided by 7 =14.85 weeks off, which is 3.7 months...not too bad either!

Unless they are referring to the standard 5 day work week with 2 days a week off. that probably makes more sense.:rolleyes:

Actually 11 weeks off for us....and guess what I have done on my vacation so far..... Nothing because there is no rush since I have 73 days off until I go back. And next Friday I leave on my week long cruise. Then I coach golf....which I get paid for as well.

People can hate on my professional all they want.....there is a shortage of us you know....go get your degree and experience it for yourself.

BTW.....The Pension is awesome.

Thank you, for helping me make my point, I have no intention of getting any degree, my next job begins in 6 months it's called full time retired. After 43 years.

Edited by Mac303

Sorry but even Police Officers, are allowed two days off a week, just like many other jobs.

When you put the original statement into context, the Phila. teachers work a total of 188 days a year,

for much more salary as opposed to the 261 days a year a Phila Police Officer works

See below original post:

Originally Posted by Mac303

Edited by Mac303

Unless they are referring to the standard 5 day work week with 2 days a week off. that probably makes more sense.:rolleyes:

There are 365 days in the year...MINUS 261 work days equals 104 days of non work. A week is seven days. Divide 104 by 7 and you get 14.85 weeks. A month is 4 weeks. Divide 14.85 by 4 and you get 3.7 months. It's simple math.

No one mentioned "work week" just days of work. Now roll your eyes.

There are 365 days in the year...MINUS 261 work days equals 104 days of non work. A week is seven days. Divide 104 by 7 and you get 14.85 weeks. A month is 4 weeks. Divide 14.85 by 4 and you get 3.7 months. It's simple math.

No one mentioned "work week" just days of work. Now roll your eyes.

How many days a year would you like them to work? All of them? Should they be permitted any time off?

Run this math and see how we do, 104 days of non work, divided by 52 weeks (there are 52 of them in a year) that's 2 days a week. See I can do that too. I really don't know what your on about your right it's simply math.

Edited by Sitzmark
days not weeks.

How many days a year would you like them to work? All of them? Should they be permitted any time off?

Run this math and see how we do, 104 weeks of non work, divided by 52 weeks (there are 52 of them in a year) that's 2 days a week. See I can do that too. I really don't know what your on about your right it's simply math.

wow..check your work. you really CAN NOT do simple math.

I really wish there was a way to remove my post from this thread. As my original post stated, I never would expect a discount, however it would be a nice treat.

That's the way I took your post. You simply asked if they existed, which is not far-fetched given that many other businesses offer teacher discounts at times, including cruise lines. You never demanded a discount or acted entitled or said you were more deserving of a discount than anyone else. That narrative is one people made up in their own minds based on nothing. :rolleyes: Would you take it if offered? Of course you would, just like seniors, military, and police/firemen are happy to take their discounts when offered.

Don't worry about the CC hive mind, aka the Perpetually Offended Society, or POS for short ;)

What school system gets 3 months off? And 28 holidays? What are the 28 holidays? Clearly, you do not know what you are talking about. Contrary to popular belief, teachers in most school systems are actually paid PER DIEM. Teachers get paid per day and are NOT paid for holidays or summers. In many school systems, teachers unions negotiate with the town to have teachers' pay stretched out through the summer because this makes it fiscally and financially easier for the town, so to some uninformed people it may seem like teachers are getting paid in the summer but that is certainly NOT the case. Teachers get paid for the days they work, just like everybody else. Get your facts straight.

I am so glad you posted this. I am shocked when people talk about all of my vacation days! The only real vacation days I get are inclement weather days! Certainly I can't plan a ahead for a vacation when we end up with a snow day!

To add to MAC's comments: remember we are not paid for spring break, christmas break, and summer. We are only paid for the days we work.

Edited by funfamilyfun

Sorry but even Police Officers, are allowed two days off a week, just like many other jobs.

When you put the original statement into context, the Phila. teachers work a total of 188 days a year,

for much more salary as opposed to the 261 days a year a Phila Police Officer works

Do Phila Police officers get vacations and sick time? If they don't, something is seriously wrong.

I am a retired secondary-ed. teacher and former Union rep. for my teacher's association, though I am not familiar with the laws that govern education in other states, I will do my best to give you accurate information as it applies to NYS and perhaps, in the process, provide some rationale as to why things are done as they are done.

In NYS all public school districts fall under the umbrella of the New York State Board of Education, NYSED. Individual school districts can opt to require more of their personnel and students than NYSED requires, but they can not do less without incurring a penalty.

The minimum days a public school must have children in attendance is set at 180, though each school district's Board of Education may negotiate with their various unions (teacher, administrator, clerical/custodial) to increase that amount. Most do and include anywhere from 2 to 5 additional conference days to that amount along with other requirements/responsibilities such as attendance at evening or after school open houses/parent conferences, orientations, and other events.

Public school districts in NYS that fail to meet the 180 days of student attendance do not receive state aid unless granted a waiver due to an act of God. The cost to a taxpayer in a district that did not receive state aid would be prohibitive, so all districts ensure they are in compliance.

Insofar as snow days, each public school district in NYS includes differing numbers of snow days into their school calendar. Those numbers are specific to each district and are negotiated points. These are in addition to the regularly scheduled calendar days per their contract. So, in NYS different districts may schedule different dates of attendance, but all must meet the 180 day attendance requirement.

When a district uses more than the number of snow days it had allotted in their school calendar, makeup days are taken from those time periods that were originally scheduled holidays on district's calendar. Each Board of Education for every public school in NYS sets these dates.

Unless either a statewide or county emergency is declared by the governor, the district superintendent along with the superintendent of transportation makes the decision to close school for the day, to have a delay, or to have an early dismissal. The decision to close, delay or dismiss early may include all personnel as well, but it is based on contractual language with each of the unions.

Personnel can not sue the district for any harm they may come to as a result of failing to close, delay, or dismiss early, however a parent whose child is injured from such a failure can. Hence, as any lawsuit is costly, most districts close, delay or dismiss early to avoid any situation that would place them in the position of defending their decision to remain open in court.

Each district's Board of Education negotiates the salary schedule for each of its unions separately. The salary schedule is based on the contractual agreement for the number of days school is in session.

Each "step" (level of experience and education) is presented on the appropriate salary schedule as the total amount paid to the union member for the contractually agreed upon number of days school is in session and any other attendance/participation requirements.

Any additional requirements (like any contract in the real world) are paid for based on a per diem rate. So, if a district required that its teachers report on a snow day, it would have to pay each of its teachers for that additional day or face not meeting the minimum- 180-day-students-in-attendance state requirement. Personnel salaries and benefits for a school district eat up the majority of each school district's budget and their is little to no room for "extra pay." For those that would disagree with paying a teacher for additional time, imagine that you had contracted with a venue, or a service provider and then needed additional additional time or service. Would you expect them to extend that time or that service for nothing?

With regard to pay periods: per their individual contract, teachers in some districts have the opportunity to have their contract salary divided into 26 checks rather than 22. It is not standard in NYS for every district to offer this option to its teachers since it adds an additional work for their payroll department. Albeit 22 or 26 paychecks, in the end, the gross salary is the same.

Note:

Those who run out the door at the end of their contractual day and those who burn the mid-night oil are paid the same if they are on the same "step;" time spent outside of the school day doing research, lesson plans, grading, phone calls and letters to parents, etc. is considered part of the job and is not compensated further.

In many districts, extending your "vacation" by either taking off a day before or after a day that school is scheduled to not be in session will result in a salary dock of 2x or more your per diem salary for each day taken. Snow makeup days are made during the Spring, Easter, and Memorial Day holiday periods. If a teacher who works in a district that docks for absences before or after a holiday makes travel plans in advance for those time periods and a makeup day(s) becomes necessary, he/she must either cancel their plans or lose 2 (or more) days of pay for every day they take off.

Needless to say, before I retired, I did not take many cruises as they were too expensive during the peak times I could travel. As a single parent, I worked summers to raise three sons and send them to college. Now, that I am retired and my children are grown, I cruise as often as I can. I would love a teacher discount that could be paired with my loyalty discount; paying that single supplement stings!

Edited by MaritimeR&R

While I believe teachers are highly unappreciated not sure I believe they should get a discount just for being a teacher.)
Keep in mind that businesses don't give discounts to teachers (or firemen, or students, or senior citizens, or any other group) because they want to be kind to those individuals. Businesses give discounts to attract new business or to entice consumers to spend with them instead of their competitors.

Teachers are a good group to target for discounts. They're large in numbers, and they tend to be thrifty /are motivated by a bargain.

Being a teacher is a very honorable profession...my D-I-L is one. As she will quickly point out, every educator knew the work calendar, pay scale, etc. when the chose the profession. It isn't like all those things changed in the last 5 years.
Disagree. Education has undergone a huge number of changes in the last few years:

- i knew the pay scale when I became a teacher, but I did not know that we'd be subjected to a six-year pay freeze, which affects my pay check today and my pension in the future. Because of increases in insurance, I actually make fewer dollars than I did six years ago, and I did not see that coming.

- With the implementation of online classes and blended learning, our jobs are changing significantly. In future years, I will be teaching literally twice the number of students I taught in the past, and I will be grading twice as many papers. This is something that none of us foresaw years ago, but already the classroom in which I began teaching is starting to look as outdated as a one-room schoolhouse,

- I did not foresee that standardized testing would become more important than my lessons, nor did I guess that data would be seen as more important than students.

- I did not know that my benefits would be slashed and that I'd be concerned about my pension disappearing.

- I did not know the legislature would so decisively turn against teachers and would actively campaign to rid themselves of those of us at the top of the pay scale. I did not know they would threaten our job security by trying to take away our right to due process.

No wonder teachers are bailing out of the profession in my state. This is not the deal for which we signed on. We anticipated low paychecks but a secure with good benefits. That is no longer the reality.

That is why you so richly deserve a 180 day work week, I mean year plus pensions the rest of us grunts can only dream about and of course free health care for life including your spouse.

Twice as much? You need to find a different TA

Wrong.

We work 200 days a year, and we are paid for 200 days a year. The summer is paycheck-free. In contrast, my husband, who is an engineer, works 240 days a year and his vacation pay means he is paid 52 weeks a year.

Money is deducted from our pay every month to cover that pension -- it's not a gift from the "grunts" on top of our pay.

A teacher who puts in a full 30 years does receive basic health care at no charge, and spouses can be added to that policy -- for a cost.

This varies from state to state, of course, but you -- like most people -- have the idea that teaching is a little part time job with full-time pay, which is not true.