Cost of an infant

Anyway. Thanks to those that gave constructive responses. I feel I have the answers I was looking for. Thanks again. I will now search out some alternatives and hopefully be on RCI sometime in the future when my 'sprog' has grown up and I can justify a bit more the cost that RCI feels is acceptable.

Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You could try Thompson maybe. Although I personally think RC are being fair, I wish you every success with your plans x

You could try Thompson maybe. Although I personally think RC are being fair, I wish you every success with your plans x

Have been on thomson before. Wasn't a massive fan.

I am sure we will be on RCI at some point in the future.

It is really quite simple, RCCL does not have a dedicated child rate. There was a sale for 3rd and 4th person sailing free, but I don’t believe newer ships qualified.

A few things to also consider

The required gratuities per person are also the same regardless of the age of the passenger. ( many are often caught off guard regarding this expense) .

Bob noted that any cruise with 3 consecutive days requires that the baby be at least 12 months old on the first sail date.

For other sailings, babies must be at least 6 month old to sail. Is the sail date an issue if you don’t get pregnant as quickly as you anticipate?

An option that others consider, is to book two less expensive cabins and have the baby in the cabin with a family member or nanny. Lastly, perhaps there is a family member who can care for the baby while you sail.

Please ignore comments from those who don’t want babies or children on board. RCCL is a family cruise line and your baby is as welcome as any quest.

I hope you get it worked out.

M

When my parents took their first Alaskan cruise we tried to price it to see if we could join them. At the time my kids were 3 and 1. I couldn't believe they would both be charged full price rates, so I completely understand your shock. It really makes you think twice about booking with an infant. I hope you find another option. And good luck with baby making. :D I got pregnant with my 3rd less than a month after our last cruise.

When my parents took their first Alaskan cruise we tried to price it to see if we could join them. At the time my kids were 3 and 1. I couldn't believe they would both be charged full price rates, so I completely understand your shock. It really makes you think twice about booking with an infant. I hope you find another option. And good luck with baby making. :D I got pregnant with my 3rd less than a month after our last cruise.

Thank you.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, it really was the shock at the price more than anything else.

Thanks again! Let's hope it all happens quickly!

On our last two cruises, DD was able to get a "child rate" of $120 during a special. Our TA let us know about it and we booked immediately. Granted, it wasn't on RCI, but they run specials from time to time too. $120 child fare was good through 18, I believe. It didn't include port charges, taxes and tips. That still made her cruise fare in excess of $500. But it was better than $1000 plus taxes, fees and tips.

Keep your eyes open. You never know.

Happy sailing!

On our last two cruises, DD was able to get a "child rate" of $120 during a special. Our TA let us know about it and we booked immediately. Granted, it wasn't on RCI, but they run specials from time to time too. $120 child fare was good through 18, I believe. It didn't include port charges, taxes and tips. That still made her cruise fare in excess of $500. But it was better than $1000 plus taxes, fees and tips.

Keep your eyes open. You never know.

Happy sailing!

Thanks for this!

Yes much better deal.

So currently in USD infants fare would be 1650usd

I will certainly keep an eye out for deals that come up.

Hello all

I was pretty sure we had found the cruise we wanted to do, a 13 night trip from southampton next year on anthem.

Currently we are trying for a baby and so we would either have to potentially amend the booking to different dates if pregnancy meant we were unable to do dates or if child was over 6 months we could add them to booking.

I have taken a look at both options.

So to add a child to the booking is another £1000 near enough!! This surely can't be right for a potentially only 6 month old child!?!?

The other option is amending the booking to new dates which will cost £75pp I believe. But we would then still need to add the child on of that was the case I would have thought.

It has really put me off booking.

£1000 for a child of any age, especially a under 2, seems a bit steep!!

Please let me know if I have missed something and actually it may be cheaper?!?

Thanks in advance

We have sailed RC with DD since she was 6 months.

One thing we have always noticed is the longer the cruise and the newer the ship the higher the price, especially out of Southampton.

One consideration with any of the cruises you are considering is that all ships only have a limited number of cabins available for more than two passengers. Given the Anthem is likely to book up quite quickly due to inaugural season out of UK, there is the risk that it may not be possible to add an extra passenger at a later stage, even if there is other cabins available.

I am guessing you are looking at the Canaries cruise next September. If time allows I might suggest looking at doing on either the Independance later this year or the Explorer next April I think (hopeful pregnancy allowing:D)

I know this is not the time frame you specified but if you are successful this year would probably work out better in terms of not worrying about dates. It is also a fraction of the cost of the Anthem;)

Good luck with whatever you choose and the pregnancy:D