Navigator Disembarkation...A Bit Hairy

Sorry you had such a long wait. On 5/25 we went through everything and was on our shuttle to pick up our car in 30 to 45 minutes and that included waiting on the shuttle after we called for it. I think customs is the big snag in Galveston and everything was working well on 5/25.

I was also on this cruise (had GREAT time) and after what I read was fully prepared for a crazy and lengthy debarkation. Ended up being the smoothest one yet. By 8:45 we were on the road headed back to Hobby Airport. LOVE Galveston. The people were awesome. Wished I would have spent time on the island. Next time I will go in a full day early (at least) and stay in Galveston.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

We had the same problem on the last cruise prior to the retro fit in January. The cruise was great but it took 3 1/2 hours to get through customs. It was exactly as you described. We couldn't find the end of the line. One poor lady was having a panic attack. I was glad it wasn't me. There was one line that was moving quickly for passengers with early flights. I begged the woman to let me in the line but she would not budge.

When we got to the front of the line we discovered why it was taking so long. The customs agents appeared to be moving slowly on purpose. I've been through customs many times in many different countries and I've never seen agents move that slowly. They were manually entering our passport information instead of scanning the passports and they were taking their time typing. We timed it and it took 4 minutes for them to clear our family of four. It normally takes less than a minute. It's called a "slow down strike". Workers deliberately reduce output without going on a full blown strike.

The carnival terminal in Galveston is pretty slow as well but this was by far the slowest I have experienced after 12 cruises and many airports.

ssb- nice review. Even nicer that you reside so close to the Port. I'm in Chicago, so there's a LOT more involved in my travel planning than yours, LOL! I really loved Galveston, just not the terminal experience. Hope to return there real soon, maybe after the $12MM improvements are made. By that time, my hubby's memory of the delays may have subsided....

One can only hope. :(

For your information

The present changes were made after the retrofit.

My report including all the negative posts i could find on cruise critic

and letters requested by me from fellow cruisers

about horrible disembarkations at Galveston

were communicated to them all during dry dock.

Temporary Changes with RCL, Customs And Port were very evident.

As concerned and critical as I and many cruisers have been in the past,

I commend all their efforts. :)

Embarkation and disembarkation could not have been better.

Incidentally, yes we live in Galveston,

but also have cruised extensively and traveled in business with all the complications of travel!!!!!!

Galveston has to get it together with 3 Carnival, 1 Disney and maybe 2 RCCL ships being here soon!

Edited by ssb

An email received from fellow cruiser

interested in Embarkation/ Disembarkation matters

from the 4/27/14 Navigator Galveston

Thanks Vicki:)

"When we got back into port on 4/27, we had the best disembark ever!! We carried off our luggage. There was a notice in the Compass that there were going to be a limited number of spots available. Well, I have heard that one before, but followed the instructions and went to Guest Services. I got Group 0ne cards. To my great joy, this actually meant something. We went to our assigned waiting spot and the crew was only letting in people with group one cards. They also had the exit blocked off so no one could sneak ahead of those who'd signed up. The crew actually stopped people with luggage and sent them to Guest Services to get cards for later departure times. Hats off to Royal for actually enforcing a rule!!!

I seriously expected the zoo I'd experienced getting off the Rhapsody and the Splendour in years gone by. On those two ships the entire centrum was filled with people and luggage and there was no organization whatsoever. The disembark cards I got back then meant nothing!! No one even asked to see them.

Even waiting in line at immigration behind a family of seven that apparently had minimal documentation, we were in our car and out of there in 30 minutes. Amazing!!"

An email received from fellow cruiser

interested in Embarkation/ Disembarkation matters

from the 4/27/14 Navigator Galveston

Thanks Vicki:)

"When we got back into port on 4/27, we had the best disembark ever!! We carried off our luggage. There was a notice in the Compass that there were going to be a limited number of spots available. Well, I have heard that one before, but followed the instructions and went to Guest Services. I got Group 0ne cards. To my great joy, this actually meant something. We went to our assigned waiting spot and the crew was only letting in people with group one cards. They also had the exit blocked off so no one could sneak ahead of those who'd signed up. The crew actually stopped people with luggage and sent them to Guest Services to get cards for later departure times. Hats off to Royal for actually enforcing a rule!!!

I seriously expected the zoo I'd experienced getting off the Rhapsody and the Splendour in years gone by. On those two ships the entire centrum was filled with people and luggage and there was no organization whatsoever. The disembark cards I got back then meant nothing!! No one even asked to see them.

Even waiting in line at immigration behind a family of seven that apparently had minimal documentation, we were in our car and out of there in 30 minutes. Amazing!!"

Success story. Great!

Arizona, my cousins were the first-time cruisers with us. They had a ball, and they were un-fazed (is that a word?) by the confusion in the Galveston terminal. They thought it was part of the cruising experience....too funny! :D

That is funny...we won't tell them that Galveston can be a little different than most other ports.....glad they were un-fazed by it all and they had a good time.... Thats all that counts!!!

That is funny...we won't tell them that Galveston can be a little different than most other ports.....glad they were un-fazed by it all and they had a good time.... Thats all that counts!!!

That is funny !!!:D

WOW what a difference in a week.

We were on the 5/25 as well. Maybe getting off early was the reason(group 6) Or because they knew SSB was on the cruise

but that was the easiest disembarking of any RCCL cruise ever.

Now the TABC was another story:rolleyes::eek:

SO did your cruise go to Belize?

Edited by jonbgd

Glad to know that some people have had good experience with embarkation/disembarkation.

Hoping things go well for us in March. Were in a GS, so I'm hoping that will help speed things up.

We also get porters right away. Well worth it.

We have cruised out of Galveston on Carnival three times and Princess once. They disembark from the same terminal. We learned our lesson after the first time. We were among the first to disembark and got to the terminal amid a sea of luggage. We didn't understand the porter situation that first time. The last three times I've gotten in the porter line, which is to the right , and my wife went to find our luggage.

Our last cruise out of there on the Triumph last Sept. we waited as long as we could to get off and when we got to the terminal there was almost no luggage left. We got a porter and were out in less than 15 mins.

I realize if you're having to catch a flight, that might not be possible. I can only hope our first RCCL cruise out of there in August will be as quick.

I guess we have been pretty fortunate, but we've also cruised out of NOLA, FLL, Seattle, Vancouver, and Honolulu, and Galveston has been no different, good or bad, than any of the others.

Have to agree on the 5/25 sail date. Disembark was really easy, but like i said in my review and i don't know how much is true, but for one this sail date had a port security post inspection and the porter also said when you cruise to belize, the customs is a lot slower.

While i also agree with the OP about the cluster after trying to get your luggage, other that going to your # posted on the wall that matches your luggage, as soon as we saw an empty porter, we waived our hand and the rest was good.

It's the OP again...

Truth is that my family and I never expected to just "zip" right through the do-it-yourself line. We weren't in a hurry, and had plenty of time. There were a lot of people on the ship, so we expected to do some amount of waiting...just not THAT long. I probably should have STAYED in that line, 'cause getting out of that line to join the "porter assignment line" only lengthened the time in the terminal.

Those of you who said it's best to get a porter immediately, have a good point - I'll do that next time! :cool: And there WILL be a next time...Galveston TX is a great town.

Having spent a lot of time in Galveston in my youth, the entire Island has more of a relaxed atmosphere so there really is an "Island Time" even there. Nobody rushes to do anything. Slow responses seem the norm to me when I visit.

Having spent a lot of time in Galveston in my youth, the entire Island has more of a relaxed atmosphere so there really is an "Island Time" even there. Nobody rushes to do anything. Slow responses seem the norm to me when I visit.

Off-topic...I like your name. That cute little doggie couldn't possibly be who it refers to, right?!? LOL

In March we are using RCI transfers back to Bush airport in Houston. Will this make the embarkation and disembarkation easier?

Sorry it didn't for us - we were stuck in line, got to the customs/immigration and was next in line and the officer went on break for 15 minutes with hundreds of people standing in line, came back with coffee and a donut. We got thru after waiting I think 1 1/2 hours in line - get to our RC Bus Transfer were 3 couples were waiting on the bus - then the bus driver said they would leave when the bus was full. So some of the people on board missed their flights because the bus wouldn't leave - We sat on the bus for another 1 1/2 hours. The bus finally left with maybe 10 couples on board because there were megga people waiting at the airport for the transport to the port. We made our 1:15 pm flight from Hobby by 5 minutes, most missed their flights. It was a horrible experience but we will be going out of Galveston again in 2015 - expecting nothing but disorganization and will book an afternoon flight.

angry.gif

Sorry it didn't for us - we were stuck in line, got to the customs/immigration and was next in line and the officer went on break for 15 minutes with hundreds of people standing in line, came back with coffee and a donut. We got thru after waiting I think 1 1/2 hours in line - get to our RC Bus Transfer were 3 couples were waiting on the bus - then the bus driver said they would leave when the bus was full. So some of the people on board missed their flights because the bus wouldn't leave - We sat on the bus for another 1 1/2 hours. The bus finally left with maybe 10 couples on board because there were megga people waiting at the airport for the transport to the port. We made our 1:15 pm flight from Hobby by 5 minutes, most missed their flights. It was a horrible experience but we will be going out of Galveston again in 2015 - expecting nothing but disorganization and will book an afternoon flight.

angry.gif

This is the OP again-

Trust me when I tell you that your experience and mine is exactly why I always book a late afternoon flight out following disembarkation. I feel your pain. Hope for the best, but expect the worst...

Question.... I've heard of independent shuttles waiting until their buses/vans are full. Can I assume that RCI doesn't make it clear that they wait for their transports to fill up before they leave for the airport? If they don't, they certainly SHOULD. That will help travelers determine whether they need a later flight or should find some other mode of transportation to the airport. Just curious.

Have to agree on the 5/25 sail date. Disembark was really easy, but like i said in my review and i don't know how much is true, but for one this sail date had a port security post inspection and the porter also said when you cruise to belize, the customs is a lot slower.

While i also agree with the OP about the cluster after trying to get your luggage, other that going to your # posted on the wall that matches your luggage, as soon as we saw an empty porter, we waived our hand and the rest was good.

I was also told (by a porter) that the custom inspection is longer after a trip to Belize....true.....who knows.....maybe we both had the same porter!

I was also told (by a porter) that the custom inspection is longer after a trip to Belize....true.....who knows.....maybe we both had the same porter!

I've read that on another thread ..... why would a stop in Belize make the inspection process longer ???

I'm curious especially since we're going to be stopping in Belize.

We've always sailed Carnival out of Galveston and there was never too big of a wait. We sailed NOS in December and getting off the ship was an absolute buttwhoopin'. Took over an hour of standing in the hallway to get off the ship (self assist) then another 45-an hour to get through customs. They tried to blame it on having Roatan and Belize in the itinerary. We're sailing NOS again in Nov. on the alternate itinerary so I'm eager to find out if it's the same cluster bleep

We've always sailed Carnival out of Galveston and there was never too big of a wait. We sailed NOS in December and getting off the ship was an absolute buttwhoopin'. Took over an hour of standing in the hallway to get off the ship (self assist) then another 45-an hour to get through customs. They tried to blame it on having Roatan and Belize in the itinerary. We're sailing NOS again in Nov. on the alternate itinerary so I'm eager to find out if it's the same cluster bleep

Hoping things go better for you than they did for my group. :rolleyes:

This is the OP again-

Trust me when I tell you that your experience and mine is exactly why I always book a late afternoon flight out following disembarkation. I feel your pain. Hope for the best, but expect the worst...

Question.... I've heard of independent shuttles waiting until their buses/vans are full. Can I assume that RCI doesn't make it clear that they wait for their transports to fill up before they leave for the airport? If they don't, they certainly SHOULD. That will help travelers determine whether they need a later flight or should find some other mode of transportation to the airport. Just curious.

There is a Galveston Shuttle Service that I have read is reliable, a smaller van so less time to fill - Reviewing the other posts it appears that visiting Belize is the issue although I don't know why - they didn't do anything different going thru customs/immigration than they do at any other port. We had visited Belize and Roatan. :confused:

We are in a Grand Suite and buying the shore excursion that does a tour and then ends up at the Bush airport. The plane leaves late afternoon.

I have knee issues and can not stand for long periods of time, so I think I'd better bring my walker. I won't need it on the ship unless my knees flare up.

Thank you for the info.

I've read that on another thread ..... why would a stop in Belize make the inspection process longer ???

I'm curious especially since we're going to be stopping in Belize.

We were on the NOS on 5/25, Embarkation and Debarkation were our best ever. Our porter also told us the Belize itinerary was subject to much tighter customs inspections, and much longer lines. We left the ship at 8:45 and I was off to get the car by 9:10.