Excellent ratings for waiters

We are going on a group cruise soon on the Grandeur of the Seas. It's been awhile since we've been on an RCCL ship. Do the waiters still beg for excellent ratings? On our last cruise it got to the point where we would respond with "we know, we know....excellent!"

You know this is something that must be sort of new, as on our first 2 sailings this was never even mentioned... But on our last cruise it was...:confused: . But it was only mentioned once, and that was it... I rate them as I see fit not as they wish... If I get bad service, which we did from our assistant, I mark it as such... :eek:

We are going on a group cruise soon on the Grandeur of the Seas. It's been awhile since we've been on an RCCL ship. Do the waiters still beg for excellent ratings? On our last cruise it got to the point where we would respond with "we know, we know....excellent!"

Not like they used to... Some mention it, some don't, but I know what you mean. Their begging got so annoying that THAT is what I always commented on! :mad:

Not like they used to... Some mention it, some don't, but I know what you mean. Their begging got so annoying that THAT is what I always commented on! :mad:

What they should do is let you know on the first night that they are trying to get an excellent rating and to let them know when they are not living up to that standard.

What they should do is let you know on the first night that they are trying to get an excellent rating and to let them know when they are not living up to that standard.

I agree! It's no longer like it used to be though. When I first started cruising 20 years ago it used to be so bad that on the last few nights of the cruise you'd get a 10 minute speech from both the waiter and head waiter about how you HAVE to give them excellent ratings. It was REALLY annoying!

If I get bad service, which we did from our assistant, I mark it as such... :eek:
I agree -- I'm going to tell the truth about the service regardless of whether I get the speech, pictures of the kids back home, etc.

Of course, I've never had a bad waiter on the cruise . . . I've had outstanding and I've had good.

10 RCCL cruises and we have never had a waiter say anything about ratings except "If you enjoyed my service, please rate me excellent". That isn't begging to me. We have only had one cruise where we didn't get excellent service in the dining room. The survey reflected that :)

Bobbie

10 RCCL cruises and we have never had a waiter say anything about ratings except "If you enjoyed my service, please rate me excellent". That isn't begging to me. We have only had one cruise where we didn't get excellent service in the dining room. The survey reflected that :)

Bobbie

Maybe "begging" is an unfair description. I probably should have said "repeatedly" asking for an excellent rating....as this is what we have experienced.

On our cruise on the Sovereign, our waiter didn't mention anything about ratings. Also, I never came across any place to rate them?? Where would this have been? I hope I did not do any harm to our waiters by not giving them ANY rating on our cruise.

Maggie

You all familiar with what than "excellent" means???? it means money in there pocket....they get "bad grades", they get less tables to wait on future cruises until their "grades" improve....less people/less tips....I'm sure they get their butt chewed if it's repetetive or maybe if they get like only "average" rating(verus "above average" kinda thing)......not 100% sure on this, but it could also lead to a less than a desirable wait station...like a long distance from the kitchen

On my last several cruises, the only time the wait staff mentioned anything regarding the rating was on the first night when they introduced themselves to the table they made it a point to advise that if at any time during the cruise anyone wasn't happy with the food, service etc, that we tell them immediately. They said their job was to make sure we had an excellent dining and cruise experience etc. That to me isn't begging

You all familiar with what than "excellent" means???? it means money in there pocket....they get "bad grades", they get less tables to wait on future cruises until their "grades" improve....less people/less tips....I'm sure they get their butt chewed if it's repetetive or maybe if they get like only "average" rating(verus "above average" kinda thing)......not 100% sure on this, but it could also lead to a less than a desirable wait station...like a long distance from the kitchen

I asked about this subject on our last cruise, and I was told that they might not have their contract for employment renewed, if they don't have all high marks. RCCL considers anything below an excellent rating a failing grade.

Maybe "begging" is an unfair description. I probably should have said "repeatedly" asking for an excellent rating....as this is what we have experienced.

I just reread what I wrote. I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your experience or challenging your choice of words. Sorry it sounded that way.

I just wanted new cruisers out there to know I haven't experienced that yet.

Bobbie

Archived