When a sale is really not a sale

I booked a cruise for Feb 2015 in May getting the BOGOHO rates. When the WOW promotion came up in early June, I thought I might be able to score some OBC. But, guess what, the price on my cruise also went up. So, it was a wash, not worth trying to make a change. Then, just out of curiosity I looked up the cruise I took last year. I picked the same ship, same itinerary, and the same week. After getting the BOGOHO rate, the price of the cruise was less than $100.00 on what I paid last year. Also, I got OBC credit last year. So, in other words, I would be paying more than I did a year ago for the same cruise even though the second person is 1/2 off this year. Not really a sale for me.

That said, I will still be keeping my booking. I love Royal but wish they would just give you a price and keep it the same.

I booked a cruise for Feb 2015 in May getting the BOGOHO rates. When the WOW promotion came up in early June, I thought I might be able to score some OBC. But, guess what, the price on my cruise also went up. So, it was a wash, not worth trying to make a change. Then, just out of curiosity I looked up the cruise I took last year. I picked the same ship, same itinerary, and the same week. After getting the BOGOHO rate, the price of the cruise was less than $100.00 on what I paid last year. Also, I got OBC credit last year. So, in other words, I would be paying more than I did a year ago for the same cruise even though the second person is 1/2 off this year. Not really a sale for me.

That said, I will still be keeping my booking. I love Royal but wish they would just give you a price and keep it the same.

Same Here... the BOGO is $529 more then what I booked for less then a month ago. (under resident sale)

Even with the $100 OBC for the WOW sale its still not cheaper. Its a numbers game...

Canadian Resident sale

Guest #1 $1570 - $613 resident discount =$957 plus $129 tx =$1086

Guest #2 $1570 - $613 resident discount =$957 plus $129 tx =$1086

Guest #3 $679 plus $129 = $808

Resident sale stateroom total $2980

BOGO rate

Guest #1 $1629 plus $129 tx = $1758

Guest #2 $1629 - $815 BOGO discount $129 tx = $943

BOGO sale stateroom total $3509

$529 more the Canadian Resident sale

WOW rate

Guest #1 $ plus $129 tx = $1758

Guest #2 $ - $815 BOGO discount $129 tx = $943

WOW sale stateroom total $3509

OBC of $100..still more expensive!!!

Good for you for keeping track. These "sales" are for people that like to think they get a great deal even though the prices are raised in order for them to be "discounted". Happens in stores all the time.

I look at it this way...it's the unaware that make it possible for the aware to get better deals. :)

I just booked Splendour on the BOGOHO/WOW obc (and 50% deposit) sales, I have been steadily watching Italy departures for Aug 2015 for several months now on several ships and prices have not moved much- THIS time it did drop and make a significant enough difference it was worth taking the plunge. I would guess like all "sales" it really depends on itinerary, dates desired, and ship, as to whether it is actually a deal or not.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

I don't know about new bookings but my bookings I had booked were less than what I originally booked them for when I had them rebooked with BOGOHO! Call it what you will....but it worked for me! Right after that the prices went up on both cruise though! :cool:

Edited by bigque

I would guess like all "sales" it really depends on itinerary, dates desired, and ship, as to whether it is actually a deal or not.

Yep, all the recent sales have varied greatly from great deal to no deal at all depending on the specific sailing.

I booked my first RCI cruise in March, for May 2015. I got a nice price drop when the BOGOHO sale started, but it didn't work out for everyone.

Watching RCI's marketing and pricing "games" over the last couple of months has been interesting to say the least. One definitely can't assume the price has dropped on a given sailing just because a sale has started. Luckily there are tools available for savvy cruise shoppers, we don't have to take RCI's word on whether prices have gone up or down.

Doesn't bother me, I'm skeptical of all marketing and do my own research.I felt the price was fair when I booked, and to me the price drop was just a nice bonus.

Most of the regular sales they have are almost always bogus.

If you have certain voyages you are interested in.

Just check regularly.

At some point they drop to the level you feel is a decent value for yourself.

Also, Sometimes if you book way early you get good prices..

Edited by matj2000

OP I agree. The prices for the 1st and 2nd passengers on the kids sail free a couple of months ago were ridiculously overpriced to compensate for the 3 & 4 th passenger. I am paying several hundred dollars more this year than I have the past several years...and we always travel the same week.

I'm paying a couple of hundred more than I did last year on my cruise. But looking at the going rate now as opposed to the initial BOGOHO promotion, I'm glad I booked when I did for my March 2015 sailing. The price has increased over $1,000 for a solo!:eek:

I took advantage of the BOGO on the first day, got an awesome reduction on my Oasis B2B, and then at the same time booked AOS B2B for 2016, at less than 1/2 the price of the Oasis, all the legs showed quick jumps a couple of days into the promotion. We feel we won the promo deal game this time, and are paying for JS, at the Balcony price for our 28 days at sea. I am very happy. Yes, I will check to see if there are some deals out there, but satisified with the price I received.

I don't expect RCI to give the cruises away, they are a business, and they still need to make a profit for their shareholders.

Most of the regular sales they have are almost always bogus.

If you have certain voyages you are interested in.

Just check regularly.

At some point they drop to the level you feel is a decent value for yourself.

Also, Sometimes if you book way early you get good prices..

I agree. We book at what price we are comfortable with , and price drops are a bonus

HI I just looked at Sailing in 50 % off sale. JR Suite on Freedom Aug 3rd. Price states about 1993 per person listed in website. So I assumed 50% of second person. No they do some average so when they are done, it is only $50 off per person which is my emerald discount. So at 50 % off second person price is now 3899 or something like that. I find this very disappointing. Naturally, I did not book. I can get cheaper prices on other cruise lines. I can get 14 days in a balcony on princess right now. I don't know why Royal is doing this, but I do want to travel this summer and I guess it will be with the other cruise lines. Do they think we are all morons?? They should think again....