Unlimited Beverage Package Purchased On Ship

elkay68

If we wait and purchase the unlimited beverage package when we board in San Francisco are there ant local taxes that are added on? I know if you order a drink in FL before the ship departs they hit you with local tax.

I would doubt that tax will be charged on the package. You are not purchasing an actual product, just buying a right to have unlimited drinks during the cruise and a 40% discount on wine purchases. It would be like taxing a Costco Membership, I would think. But instead of a Costco card, you get a tiny sticker placed on your card. But, alas, I am not certain of this.:confused:

However, as a Californian, I say hell yes, tax the hell out of them.:eek:

We are just off the Star Princess, 11-day Alaska, rt San Francisco. We purchased the package as soon as we boarded, and the charges hit our account after we sailed out of San Francisco that evening. We weren't charged any taxes, just the $49.00 per day, plus the 15% gratuity.

We really liked having the package, DH a little more than me I think.;) It was really nice not having a huge bar tab to check for errors. A couple of times I was charged for drinks that should not have been charged. A trip to the purser's desk took care of that.

Speaking for myself, I know that I at least broke even on the package, and maybe even got a little discount. We only had 4 port days, so there were a lot of sea days to take advantage of the package. A typical day for me would start with a couple of coffee's with Irish creme, a glass of wine or a beer at lunch, 2 cocktails before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and 1 or 2 cocktails after dinner. I'm sure that sounds like a lot to some people, but it's over an 16 hour day, and I'm on vacation.;)

I probably wouldn't buy the package on a port intensive cruise, or a cruise over two weeks long. I think I would just get tired of drinking. Being elite, we have the advantage of purchasing discounted drinks in the Elite Lounge and we get the one-time mini-bar set-up, so that helps keep the cost down if we don't buy the package.

If you buy bottles of wine at dinner, and the trip does not offer a separate wine package, you save 40% on each bottle. We drink wines under $30 a bottle, so not as much of a savings for us, but it may be something to consider if you like the higher priced wines. Only one of you needs the sticker to order the wine and of course you can share it with any or all people at the table.