Tour, Med Cruise, Naples, Aug. 1

Raycruise2010

Hi all. Rick Steves has suggested Can't be missed cruise tours in Naples (http://cantbemissedtours.com) for a Pompeii-Sorento-Amalfi coast drive. We're in the Naples port Aug. 1. While that tour isn't opened yet --- it needs 12 people --- I was wondering if anyone knows of other, similar tours at roughly the same price of 65 euros? Based on Steves' book and Trip Advisor reviews it looks great, and I hope either enough people sign up so they do one that day, or someone has an equally good idea. thanks!!

Hi all. Rick Steves has suggested Can't be missed cruise tours in Naples (http://cantbemissedtours.com) for a Pompeii-Sorento-Amalfi coast drive. We're in the Naples port Aug. 1. While that tour isn't opened yet --- it needs 12 people --- I was wondering if anyone knows of other, similar tours at roughly the same price of 65 euros? Based on Steves' book and Trip Advisor reviews it looks great, and I hope either enough people sign up so they do one that day, or someone has an equally good idea. thanks!!

Try going on to your Cruise Meet and Mingle board and ask there.

Also try Ports of Call board for more info.

We used Astarita out of Sorrento (Nico) for an absolutely wonderful driving tour of he Amalfi coast in May. Stopped in Positano, lunch at the amazing La Tagliata and another stop in Ravello. Nico was a very safe driver and so courteous. It was the highlight of our cruise!

We've used Romeinlimo and Tiber Limo for those tours and both are excellent. If you are docked in Naples do Pompeii in the morning, Sorrento for lunch, and drive Amalfi to Positano. If you hire a limo company it is far more economical than a ships tour, as long as you have 6-8 people but, hire a private guide for Pompeii. It's worth the money to have someone explaining things. You get a guide with the ships tour but unless you are right with the guide you miss a lot.

Edited by Priusprof

I loved naples, if you have any extra time this is best pizza I have ever had , about a mile or 2 from the port- Brandi

Brandi on Salita S.Anna di Palazzo, 1- 2 (angolo via Chiaia)Tel +39081416928, website here.

Close to the elegant Chiaia neighbourhood and to Piazza Plebiscito, this is where the mythical “pizza margherita” was invented. Although pizzas have apparently been around in one form or another since Ancient Roman times, Raffaele Esposito is credited with creating the Margherita. He worked at this very pizzeria (established in 1780) and in 1889 he was asked to bake 3 different kinds of pizza for the royal visit of King Umberto I and Queen Margherita of Savoy. The Queen’s favorite was a pizza that had the colors of the Italian flag: basil leaves for green, mozzarella for white, and tomatoes for red. Named Pizza Margherita in her honor, this is how this pizza is still universally known . Brandi is one of the more elegant and atmopsheric pizzerias and offer many traditional Napoletano side dishes as well. While Italians tend to drink beer with pizza, they offer some nice Falanghina white wines and Aglianico based reds here as well.