Galley Tour?

It's been awhile since I have cruised RCI. Do they still offer a Galley Tour (other than part of the Chef's Table)? Years ago they used to do a huge galley tour open to everyone (or maybe you needed free reservations). Just curious if they still do that.

It's been awhile since I have cruised RCI. Do they still offer a Galley Tour (other than part of the Chef's Table)? Years ago they used to do a huge galley tour open to everyone (or maybe you needed free reservations). Just curious if they still do that.

Not open to everyone, usually just Diamond+ and full suite guests.

However, if you are willing to pay $150, you can now take an All-Access Tour which lasts 3 hours are shows you many different areas, including the galley.

Edited by clarea

Two years ago, on the Jewel, I commented to our waiter about how they fed all these people at the same time. He asked if I would like a galley tour. He told me when it was and where to meet up with the group. At that time I had only cruised with Royal on three sailings, so no diamond status or a suite guest. When I arrived to start the tour no one questioned me. I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps you could ask your waiter about it. If they have room they might just offer it to you.

How times have changed!

I remember my first cruise in 1985 on Costa Riviera, the galley tour was free, and a whole line of people marched through. Of course the ship was only a little over 30,000 GT, but I had a great time.

The tour of the engine room was also free, but just a few went. Not too many would be prepared for 110° temps, and 130 decibels of sound in a steam turbine engine room, but I was amazed and took many photos.

One night my friend and I ventured up onto the starboard, open bridge wing (no sign saying we could not) and the officer on duty invited us on the bridge for a personal tour.

Ah! The good ol' days of cruising!

Today it's all about the money.:cool:

On the Freedom we did the galley tour, and let me tell you about one hour in, we looked for the exit door.

Now dont get me wrong, it was very interesting, but after awhile it was............well um..............boring.

Some of the floors were very slippery from the freezers thru different cooking stations.

Some of the talks were repetitive from level to level.

But, if your ready for this................we have booked the All Access tour on the Allure, just to see the bridge as well as other control centers.

We booked this tour after reading a review.............

Hope it lives up to it fame.

Sea Ya

Earlier this year we did the galley tour on the Explorer...it was offered to us "free" with the purchase of an RCI cookbook, which we were thinking of buying anyway...

It was about an hour long....some floors were slippery. But we thought it was worthwhile.

Not open to everyone, usually just Diamond+ and full suite guests.

However, if you are willing to pay $150, you can now take an All-Access Tour which lasts 3 hours are shows you many different areas, including the galley.

Was on Vision May 3 2014. They did a free galley tour for anyone. They announced at dinner the night before. There was quite a crowd for it. They broke us up into three groups and took us through. It lasted about an hour. We stopped at each section and even had a Q&A with the head chef. What I found most interesting that I did not know was that after the cooks cook everything a different crew comes in and cleans the kitchen after each meal is served.

On Legend in March they included a Galley Tour with Chefs Table. It was held the last sea day in the morning between breakfast and lunch time.

On Majesty in May they offered a galley tour if you did the $30PP "Taste of Tuscany" specialty dining experience.

I don't recall seeing other ways to sign up for ONLY the galley tour, but I suspect if you made your interest known to the Head Waiter or maitre D, if there was a tour scheduled you could be included. On Legend they did absolutely NO checking to see if people had invitations and I know some passerby's hopped in.