Alaska Photojournal – Coral Princess + DIY Land Tour May 28 – June 9, 2014

AryMay

Sunday, June 8 – Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Before I start, I want to add in a couple of things I forgot and/or messed up in the review of our previous day…

Probably not a big deal to most readers, but I did have the name incorrect for the Whittier tunnel. It is the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel.

Second of all…I mentioned that we had a list of things to do on our drive from Anchorage to Seward, but didn’t go into any detail. Well…with the all-day rain, we chose to skip everything but the Wildlife Conservation Center. Had it been a nice, sunny day we most likely would have stopped for the Alyeska Tram, Portage Glacier, Byron Glacier and many of the pullouts along the highway.

As it was, we still had a pretty full day and were ready to go to bed when we got back to the B & B after dinner. Owners, Mike and Marsha, were also in their jammies but made sure to check with us about when we wanted our breakfast. They were so accommodating and were willing to work around OUR schedule instead of vice versa.

Breakfast time had been set for 8 a.m., but we were encouraged to come down to the kitchen whenever we wanted…and coffee would be ready. Mike had already checked the weather forecast before we came down and reported that he “thought” we might have an OK day.

When we were searching for a place to stay in Seward we discovered that many of the B & B’s should be just a single “B” since they don’t serve breakfast…and some that did just served stuff like cold cereal and yogurt. But not the Sunshine House. Although I’m sure he is a great teacher, Mike missed his calling when he did not become a chef!

The first morning the menu included sourdough pancakes with homemade honey/orange syrup, made to order omelets (with many options to choose), potato casserole, fruit, juice and even smoked salmon spread from salmon that Mike caught and smoked himself. We ate at the counter as Mike cooked our breakfast and had a nice time visiting. Mike & Marsha are both teachers so we had that in common. (Kent, Laurel and I are all newly retired teachers.)

We left the house with full tummies and backpacks full of supplies for the day. (Layers of clothing, binoculars, water bottles, cameras, etc.) There are two main vendors for the Kenai Fjords tours…we booked the 8 ½ hour cruise from Kenai Fjords Tours that was scheduled for 10 a.m.

The price was advertised at $172 per person online and included lunch onboard and a prime rib and salmon buffet dinner at Fox Island Lodge. We also got an AARP discount when booking. If you are thinking of reserving a tour through this company, keep checking their website for specials and also sign up for email specials…we were able to take advantage of an additional discount several weeks after we booked. Our final cost with both discounts amounted to around $160 per person. To us, the value of the buffet made this a better deal than some of the other tours.

P1090060.JPG

By the time we browsed through the gift shop and made one last restroom stop, a line had started forming by our boat…the Orca Voyager.

IMG_2820.JPG

When boarding began, everyone rushed to the top level. Seating was booth style tables and benches and by the time we got on, the upper level was full. I was disappointed, thinking those would be the better seats. Instead, we found a table right by the door on the lower level that seated six people. With all of our backpacks it was a tight fit for just the four of us and thankfully no one else sat down with us. There were other empty seats as well.

The Seward marina is beautiful set up against the backdrop of the mountains.

IMG_2821.JPG

Holland America's Statendam was also docked in the marina getting ready to sail south. We met some people on our tour who would be boarding that evening.

IMG_2822.JPG

As we pulled away from the dock, we could look back and see the multitude of RV’s parked along the shoreline. I felt a little sad thinking that such prime real estate was being used for a campground…but thanks to the commentary from our Captain Chris I found out why! Following the 1964 earthquake and tsunami, a large chunk of Seward dropped into the ocean. Since that time, no new construction is permitted right along the shore. RV’s are allowed because they could be moved to higher ground if there was a threat of a tsunami. Makes sense now!

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

We had barely started sailing and we saw our first wildlife of the day…some cute little sea otters floating in the bay.

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

The Orca Voyager was a catamaran and could go FAST. We made good time getting across the bay, passing by a glacier on the way.

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

As we would come to something interesting, Captain Chris would pull up close and stop the boat so we could get a good look…and good photographs.

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

I realized right away that my worry over seats was foolish…we barely sat down all day! In my opinion, the best viewing was right up front on the lower level which made our seats on the lower level much more practical. Anytime we needed to get something from our backpacks, they were just right inside the door.

Can you see the two mountain goats?

P1090105.JPG

A little bit closer...

IMG_2890.JPG

And finally, a much closer look at one of them. A baby goat is hiding in the bushes too!

IMG_2872.JPG

Passing by another glacier…

IMG_2891.JPG

As the boat was speeding along, a group of Dall’s porpoises joined us. They would leap in and out of the water, just in front of the boat. Each time you would think they were gone…out they would jump again…over and over and over.

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

Captain Chris got the boat in just the right position for the next photo op…a picture that I am sure goes home on most everyone’s camera.

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

There was a snack bar on the lower level of the ship. Their “special offer” was your choice of either a large insulated mug or an insulated travel mug…with free refills for the day…only $7.95.

IMG_3903.JPG

Knowing I would actually use the travel mug it seemed like a decent deal. Coffee and hot water was self serve. If you wanted hot chocolate, they would give you one packet when you bought the mug, but after that the refills were limited to pop and coffee. (They were selling the individual hot chocolate packets for $1.25 each.)

Lunch was planned at a time when we were crossing open water. It consisted of a caesar chicken wrap, baby carrots, and a granola bar. They also came around with freshly baked, warm chocolate chip cookies.

IMG_2982.JPG

After lunch we arrived at the Aialik Glacier. There were lots more sea otters…

IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

…and also kayakers.

IMG_2997.JPG

Captain Chris took the boat as close as possible to the glacier…being careful and moving in slowly because of all of the ice chunks in the water.

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

A close up look at the glacier...

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3043.JPGG

IMG_3023.JPG

We saw some minor calving, but nothing too big...at least from our viewpoint. I'm sure the perspective of these kayakers might be different when chunks of ice splash into the water.

IMG_3035.JPG

Harbor seals were lounging on the ice. They smiled when I took their photo!

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

Edited by AryMay

Even the ice in the water was interesting. Some was very blue...

IMG_3026.JPG

...while other chunks were snowy white...or even translucent.

IMG_3086.JPG

Moving on…it was time to look for more wildlife!

Actually we didn't have to find any wildlife…it found us! As we were speeding across the water, another pod of porpoises came rushing towards us. Just as the previous group, they would jump and dive, swimming very fast to stay in front of the boat.

IMG_7733.JPG

And all around us, the views around us were amazing.

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

Several times we spotted whales and Captain Chris would stop to get a better look. Once we got to see a mother and her young. Mom was showing off and kept slapping her fin on the water.

IMG_3129.JPG

P1090446.JPG

Another whale gave us a good look at the markings on his tail.

IMG_3191.JPG

On his next dive I was able to get a sequence of photos that Google+ put into this animation photo.

IMG_3214-MOTION.gif

Next stop…birds.

I will have to admit it was cold when the boat was speeding across the water…but can you see the smile on my face? I loved every minute of it. It was hard for me to understand, but many of the passengers stayed inside during the tour. One couple had even brought a laptop computer and were watching a movie!!

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

I can watch movies at home. I can't imagine doing anything but looking out the window or being outside in that beautiful scenery.

I told my wife last night that I don't know how we are going to eat, experience the ship, or sleep because I am afraid if I take my eyes off the surrounding view, I will miss something.

I am doing the same Kenai Fjord Tour next month after we arrive in Seward. Looks like you had beautiful weather for it. I hope we are just as lucky.

We were so thankful for the beautiful weather and calm waters that we had that day...especially compared to the gray skies and rain of the previous day.

It was a gamble when we booked and paid for this tour ahead of time...but we were lucky. Hopefully your day will be equally nice! :)

Great photos ... you really lucked out with the weather and wildlife sightings! One of my Kenai cruises was just like yours and it was awesome; the other 2 were in bad weather so we never left the Bay; so disappointing. Did you use meds? Any issues at the Gulf of Alaska?

I've camped at the Seward waterfront park a few times. It doesn't look appealing when you see all those RVs on the gravel lot, but believe me, when you're sitting in your camper looking at that magnificent view across the Bay, it's a great location. We could walk along the waterfront path and watch otters playing . The path leads from the small boat harbor all the way into town.

Look forward to reading the rest about the rest of your trip.

WOW what a great review. I have enjoyed reading it so much day after day. I go back and just look it over and over and hope that you posted something new. Your pictures are amazing. We are sailing on the Coral next July and I can't wait. I hope we see as much wildlife as you saw. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of this. It has been such a great review. I told my friends who are going on the cruise to look at it as well and they have loved it. Thanks again.

Great photos ... you really lucked out with the weather and wildlife sightings! One of my Kenai cruises was just like yours and it was awesome; the other 2 were in bad weather so we never left the Bay; so disappointing. Did you use meds? Any issues at the Gulf of Alaska?

I've camped at the Seward waterfront park a few times. It doesn't look appealing when you see all those RVs on the gravel lot, but believe me, when you're sitting in your camper looking at that magnificent view across the Bay, it's a great location. We could walk along the waterfront path and watch otters playing . The path leads from the small boat harbor all the way into town.

Look forward to reading the rest about the rest of your trip.

Yes...we were very lucky...at least that day. Our day in Juneau and the drive both coming and going to Seward were rainy...but all in all I though our weather was pretty good. Also we had fairly calm seas throughout the cruise.

Neither Bob or I usually deal with motion sickness, but I was concerned that it might be a problem so I took a meclazine the morning before we boarded the Kenai Fjords cruise boat. I'm pretty sure I would have been fine without it, but on a windy day I can see where it would be very easy to get sick.

When the boat was going full speed I was surprised that they even allowed us to walk around on the outside of the boat. They encouraged us to keep at least one hand on a railing at all times, but even so it was difficult to keep your balance.

Arymay

This is the best review I have ever read on cruise critic. Thanks for the review & the fabulous pictures. One question - what cabin number did you have on the Coral?

Thanks so much for reading!

Our cabin was B234 and Kent and Laurel were in B232. Theirs was the first regular balcony on the front "bump out" of the ship so the hallway "jogged" right after their cabin. We put a lot of thought into picking these cabins and I kept worrying about the choice. Due to a special (3 for Free) at the time we booked, we could have gotten ANY balcony cabin for the same price. The mid-ship cabins were a higher category so I worried that we should have taken one of those to get a better value instead.

Coral+Deck+Plan.JPG

I studied the different deck plans to make sure that we got a covered balcony since I felt that it would be important if it were raining. I used the following site that gave lots of advice on the Balcony Cabins on the Coral and Island Pricess.

Another factor for choosing these cabins was that I wanted to be near the viewing area at the front of the ship under the bridge. Unfortunately, this area on our deck (Baja) was closed off with yellow tape the entire week of our cruise (and from information I got, it was closed the previous weeks as well.) Instead, we did frequently use the front viewing area on the Caribe deck which required us to go down one level...but since our cabins were very near the forward stairs this wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

One more positive...the Horizon Court buffet is located at the front of the Coral instead of at the rear like on most ships. It was very convenient to use the forward stairway to run up two levels when we wanted to grab something to eat. On this cruise we ate at the buffet far more than we normally would on a Caribbean cruise.

Would I make the same choice again...probably. The open decks at the back of the ship were very nice if you wanted to see the view from both sides, had padded lounge chairs AND were protected from the wind. (The front was pretty windy.) However it was a very long hike to get there from our cabin.

And one other thing to note about our cabin location which was neither positive or negative...the forward elevators and stairs only go down to deck 7. This was handy if we were going to the Princess Theater, but to get to our dining room we had to go back to the mid-ship elevators to reach deck 5.

This is probably WAY more information than you really wanted, but hopefully it is a help to someone! :)

Kenai Fjords continued…

The boat made several stops at cliffs that were covered with birds, birds, and more birds. Every little nook and cranny was filled with birds. I won’t even try and give you the proper names…but trust me…there were a lot of different kinds.

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

We were each given a brochure at the beginning of the tour that gave information on the different wildlife we would see…a checklist so you could keep track. I was too busy trying to take photos to be bothered with such a thing…and besides when we were outside in the wind that thing would have sailed away in about 2 seconds.

Just as we approached one of these bird hangout areas, all of the birds took flight at once…an incredible sight! Captain Chris commented that it was rare for them to do that but then he noticed the cause…an eagle had gotten them all stirred up. I was snapping photos and sure enough when I went back and looked, there was the culprit. (Look in the lower left corner of the photo.)

IMG_3506.JPG

We found quite a gathering of sea lions at this next group of islands.

IMG_3387.JPG

One of the sea lions had a number tatooed across his side.

IMG_3372.JPG

Captain Chris said the sea lions spend their days lounging on the rocks and trying to irritate each other. Can you spot the trouble maker in this photo?

IMG_3379.JPG

Yep...that's him.

IMG_3380.JPG

Sometimes a guy just wants to be alone...

IMG_3392.JPG

At another location we found a large male sea lion with his harem of females.

IMG_3470.JPG

At our next stop...puffins! Seeing them was no problem...there were many. Photographing them was another story. As we would come upon a flock of puffins floating in the water, they would immediately either take off flying...or dive down. I tried and tried, but most of my photos look like this...

IMG_3418.JPG

Kent joked that once in the air, the puffins look like flying footballs!

IMG_3447.JPG

An interesting fact about puffins...when they dive, they are actually "flying" through the water and can go as deep as 250 feet! We got a chance to see them fly underwater the next day when we visited the Sealife Center in Seward.

After many blurry puffin photos, I finally got a semi-clear picture of this horned puffin.

IMG_3406.JPG

The other type of puffin we saw was the tufted puffin. They were easy to spot with their "mullet" hairstyles.

IMG_3426.JPG

Eventually we found some puffins roosting on a cliff and it was much easier to photograph them standing still.

IMG_3491.JPG

At the base of the cliff were red starfish exposed by the low tides.

IMG_3409.JPG

The Fox Island Resort was our destination for dinner.

IMG_3523.JPG

P1090716.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

The delicious prime rib and salmon buffet was ready when we arrived and a park ranger gave a presentation while we ate.

IMG_3527.JPG

P1090724.JPG

Following the meal there was time to explore the area around the lodge...or just take in the view.

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

P1090747.JPG

There were many of the "petrified" dead trees...remnants from the tsunami.

IMG_3549.JPG

Our cruise returned to the Seward harbor at 6:30 p.m. It had been a long day...but in my opinion...the best of our trip.

The Statendam was there waiting for the passengers to begin their cruise and it was hard to not be a little jealous. Our vacation was just about over...and theirs was just beginning.

IMG_3557.JPG

There was a fish cleaning station on the dock and we watched this man cleaning his salmon. He even carved off a small slice of raw salmon and offered to a small boy watching...who declined. The man ate it himself declaring "sushi!"

IMG_3563.JPG

Another fishing boat had just returned and one of the deck hands struggled to wheel the day's catch up the steep ramp.

IMG_3565.JPG

He worked hard to get the larger fish hung in just the right order...and the smaller fish spread out into a fan shape on the ground...ready for photos with the fishermen & women.

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

We watched as he weighed the largest halibut...now that was a catch!

IMG_3580.JPG

We did a short driving tour of Seward on our way back to the Sunshine House.

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

Throughout the city were murals painted on the sides of the buildings.

P1090787.JPG

The very interesting public library was located right across the street from the Sunshine House B & B.

P1090798.JPG

P1090803.JPG

Coming up next...our last full day and the dreaded flight home.

Edited by AryMay