Alaska Photojournal – Coral Princess + DIY Land Tour May 28 – June 9, 2014

AryMay

Friday, June 6 – College Fjords

Time to continue on with my report…

The Coral Princess wasn’t due to reach College Fjords until around 5 p.m. which meant it was basically a sea day. Throughout the morning, we were pretty much in open water without much interesting to see. My memory is a bit foggy, but I think after breakfast in the Horizon Court we attended a lecture by the naturalist, Susan Hazlett in the Princess Theater entitled “Call of the Wild: Reality on the Last Frontier.”

I was having trouble remembering how we spent the rest of the morning and then it hit me…I was packing. That dreaded job. I regretted bringing all of that stuff “just in case” I might need it. When will I learn!

The disembarkment information was being played on the TV all day and they requested that all luggage be put outside in the hallway before dinner (yeah…right.) The whole packing thing nearly caused me to have a panic attack (an exaggeration…but not much.) I worried that I would forget to keep something out that I had to have the next morning, but yet my carry-on bag was already so full that I had to be very careful that I didn’t keep too much. Bob tried to pack at the same time, but that did not work well so he and Kent took off and went to the gym.

I did manage to get most of my packing done during the morning and rationalized that the “before dinner” deadline for luggage to be in the hallway was somewhat negotiable. Since we would be in College Fjord during our normal dinner time we would be eating VERY late…right? So if I managed to get my luggage out around 10 pm I would still be abiding by the rules…somewhat.

By the time we went to lunch we were once again sailing closer to land. After eating, Kent and Laurel went to another lecture by Rachel Cartwright (author of the Cruise Companion Book) on Denali so I convinced Bob that we should get some exercise by walking around the ship on the outside promenade deck. I loved that you could actually go all the way around the ship without going indoors. If I remember correctly, 2.8 laps = one mile.

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

Well...technically you could go all the way around the ship. I didn't quite make it. When we got to the back of the ship and I saw the view…and the wake of the ship…I just had to get my camera. Poor Bob. I made him wait while I ran back to the cabin to grab my camera…and then I made him wait some more while I fiddled with different settings.

IMG_2524.JPG

We finally did do some walking…but it was in short segments with me stopping to take photos as we went. How could I not stop and record that amazing view!

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

Once I got a sufficient number of mountain photos, we started seeing whales…and of course I had to stop and get more photos.

IMG_2546.JPG

It was back to the balcony as we approached College Fjord. The TV was tuned in to hear the naturalist commentary and we were ready with binoculars.

IMG_2595.JPG

The photo below shows how we had the balcony divider open between our two cabins. I know there are a few cabins on the Coral where the balcony can't be opened up so this might be something to check on if you are traveling with friends or family in adjacent cabins. There was no way to latch the divider door open, so Bob secured it with a piece of duct tape. (Don't leave home with out it!)

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Beautiful pictures. I would have stopped to take them too. Usually when we are walking around the ship, I try to always carry my camera. That luggage deadlines seems awfully early.

How were your seas? I had read another report of a southbound that had really rough weather coming out of Whittier. Some of their crew said it was the roughest they had ever sailed through.

I am hoping we have smooth water all the way.

The channel that broadcast the naturalist commentary also showed the view from the front webcam. When we noticed that the ship was getting close to the glaciers we moved to the front of the Caribe Deck under the bridge.

A few others were there, but it certainly wasn’t crowded.

IMG_2660.JPG

There were lots of sea otters all around. If you look closely at the next photo you can see it was a mother carrying her baby.

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

We even had a bear sighting!

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

The photo below shows how we had the balcony divider open between our two cabins. I know there are a few cabins on the Coral where the balcony can't be opened up so this might be something to check on if you are traveling with friends or family in adjacent cabins. There was no way to latch the divider door open, so Bob secured it with a piece of duct tape. (Don't leave home with out it!)

For future reference we always travel with a bungee cord or two :)

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

For future reference we always travel with a bungee cord or two :)

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

Actually we have done that in the past...but I think the duct tape worked better!

The redneck rule...

If it doesn't move and it should...use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't...use duct tape.

:)

Getting closer...

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

The glaciers in College Fjord aren't impressive in size like Margerie in Glacier Bay, but to see them all cascading down the mountain side by side is pretty awesome. I’ve tried to name them…hopefully this is correct! Vassar was so dirty and black it almost didn't look like a glacier.

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

And finally at the end of the bay we could see Yale. It is the glacier on the far right.

IMG_2658.JPG

A closer look at Yale...

IMG_2661.JPG

Edited by AryMay

Some close up views...

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

As the ship turned and started sailing out of College Fjord, Bob and I went down to deck 7. It was surprising to me how few people were on the outer decks enjoying the view.

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

I enjoyed the last views of College Fjord from the balcony...but also felt sad because the cruise was almost over.

IMG_2697.JPG

"What a Swell Party" was the production show in the Princess Theater on the last evening. We saw the same show performed on the Emerald in December and wanted to see it again to compare. The stage on the Coral is considerably smaller than the Emerald so we were curious how the large stage set would look.

We didn't want to eat until the ship had left College Fjord and by then the MDR was out of the question if we wanted to make it to the theater in time for the last show. The Princess Patter says the buffet had an Italian theme that night, but I don't really remember what we had to eat. I do know that my luggage was setting in the hallway when I went to dinner!

All week I wanted to get a plate of cheeses and fruit from the Horizon Court to enjoy on my balcony in the evening...but just never did. Having a balcony was a splurge for us and I wasn't sure when or if it would happen again in my lifetime so...by golly...that night I got a plate of cheese to take back to our cabin for later.

Laurel took a few photos during the performance of "What a Swell Party"...and we did notice that the set just barely fit on the smaller stage.

P1080935.JPG

P1080944.JPG

It was late when we got back to the cabin...although still light outside. Everyone was tired...and still full...so I couldn't get anyone to sit with me on the balcony while I enjoyed my cheese. Party poopers.

IMG_2704.JPG

Oops...I need to go back and add something. Since CC won't let me make changes, you will just have to pretend this was posted earlier. ;)

I noticed in the Princess Patter that Alfredo's Pizzeria was in Sabatini's from 11:30 am until 2:00 pm and it was "complimentary." We all had enjoyed the pizza multiple times from the lido deck but thought it would be nice to have a sit down meal instead of waiting in line.

P1000686.JPG

We were given a pizza menu that had six different specialty pizzas. Only those pizzas could be ordered as they were listed...no changes could be made and only pizza was available. The pizzas were small...about 6 inches across. We each ordered a different kind and then shared so we could try the different types.

(I just realized that the waitress taking our photo also got the lady behind us taking a photo!) Honestly...although it was nice being waited on, I like the lido deck pizza better.

P1000690.JPG

Edited by AryMay

Beautiful pictures. I would have stopped to take them too. Usually when we are walking around the ship, I try to always carry my camera. That luggage deadlines seems awfully early.

How were your seas? I had read another report of a southbound that had really rough weather coming out of Whittier. Some of their crew said it was the roughest they had ever sailed through.

I am hoping we have smooth water all the way.

For the most part we had smooth sailing. Coming up next you will see the weather was pretty crummy when we arrived in Whittier, but it was just rain. Of course since we docked around midnight most of the night we weren't even moving!

Wow! I have never seen pictures of the glaciers in the College Fjord. Gorgeous.

I'm sure enjoying your day-by-day reports. I can hardly wait for those of the Interior.

Thanks for continuing to read even though it is taking me awhile to get it done!

My land portion will only be a couple of days in Seward. Kent & Laurel went on to do several more days in Denali. I told her she should chime in and finish out the report with what they did.

Add me as another fan. Your report and photos are great. I used a Canon SX50 and a DSLR on our trip last year, and you did much better with the SX50 than I did (it's a pretty amazing camera for the price) - especially your photos of the sea lion with the fish.

Looking forward to your Seward photos.

Add me as another fan. Your report and photos are great. I used a Canon SX50 and a DSLR on our trip last year, and you did much better with the SX50 than I did (it's a pretty amazing camera for the price) - especially your photos of the sea lion with the fish.

Looking forward to your Seward photos.

Oh Shazzah! That is an incredible compliment coming from you. I don't want to make you feel guilty or anything, but YOU are the reason I hadn't updated this report for a few days. I found your blog and I couldn't quit reading until I had finished every word and looking at each photo! Absolutely spectacular...and totally out of my league!

I emailed the link to Laurel and told her..."I thought my photos were good until I saw this blog...her photos are great."

Un-cruise should be paying you a commission. I have already ordered a brochure and a DVD! Please feel free to come back and post a link to the blog if you would like. I think anyone planning a trip...or that has already traveled to Alaska should see your photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to record your wonderful journey!

Just curious...have you done any other travel blogs or reviews? I hated when I got to the end of your Un-Cruise report and would love to see more!

AryMay,

You are too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed our blog - I haven't posted lots of links to it because it's so long (and written more for our family and friends than a real trip review). I was inspired by WalleyeLJ to try and capture whale photos when I read his report while researching our trip last year.

Our Ultra Alaska Adventure

I'm looking forward to your Seward section, because we are going to Alaska in August of 2015 for a land based trip. We are doing a week in Lake Clarke at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge for bear viewing, and then a week in Denali for fall colors. I want to see Kenai Fjords as well.

Saturday, June 7 – Whittier to Anchorage to Seward

Waking up to rain was a disappointment. There were all sorts of activities that we were considering for the day…and all would be impacted by the lousy weather. (My apologies for all of the crummy photos as well.)

IMG_2719.JPG

We had been assigned to one of the debarkation groups for “independent passengers without Princess transfers” at 7:45 a.m. Normally debarkation involves exiting into a massive warehouse with a sea of luggage. Since most of the cruisetour people had left the ship earlier, only a small percentage of the luggage was still left to claim when we got off.

Our ultimate destination was Seward, but getting from Whittier to Seward is a bit complicated…hence all of the posts on this forum asking for advice on how best to pull this off. Our plan was to take a shuttle to Anchorage, rent two cars and then drive back south to Seward.

We had made reservations with Anchorage Tours and Transfers at a “online sale rate” of $28 per person for their direct transfer. A second option offered a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood. Although this is something we planned to do, we wanted to wait until we headed back to Seward with our rental cars so we weren’t under any time constraints. In April I acquired some Northern Lights coupons…one was for a “buy one get one free” ticket for the transfer. I called and since we booked at a discounted rate I was only able to get an additional $11 off our total. A credit for that amount showed up on my credit card immediately after I called.

By 8 am we had gathered our luggage and found the representative from Anchorage Tours & Transfers. Our email directions had specified that we needed to be off the ship and ready to go between 8:45 and 9:00 am so we had almost an hour to wait.

The group for the direct transfer (all nine of us) were there and ready when our driver, Judy, showed up. A little before 9 a.m., Judy took us out to her waiting van. It was still raining and luckily there was a covered walkway out to the parking lot. Judy used the wheel chair lift to load the luggage which worked pretty slick!

P1080983.JPG

Any traffic coming or going to Whittier had to go through the 2 ½ mile Anton Memorial Tunnel. Because the tunnel is only one lane, the northbound traffic is able to use the tunnel at the top of each hour…southbound can go through at the bottom of each hour. Oh…and by the way…trains also use the tunnel!

Because it was a few minutes before 9:00, Judy offered to give us a tour of Whittier before we left. She joked that since we had about 5 minutes she could do the tour twice…and it was true! Comparing Whittier to some of the other port towns was a night and day difference. No Diamonds International…no giant souvenir shops…almost nothing in the way of businesses.

IMG_2717.JPG

Whittier has approximately 200 residents and they all live in this one building…there are no single family homes in the city. Annual snowfall is about 250 inches!

IMG_2714.JPG

A former military building, the Buckner Building, sits abandoned after being damaged in the 1964 earthquake and tsumani. It is too expensive to tear down so has become a hangout for area kids. According to Judy they have even had snowmobile races inside!

IMG_2716.JPG

Near the tunnel we saw a large waterfall and a glacier.

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

Waiting in line to go through the tunnel…

IMG_2728.JPG

The railroad tracks are sunken slightly under the surface of the road and the cars just drive along on top. Along the tunnel are emergency pullouts and eight “safe rooms” stocked with food and water to use in case of an emergency…such as an earthquake.

P1080991.JPG

I read online that this past week a guy got into a high-speed chase with the cops and went into this tunnel…not the smartest move. Police closed off the other end of the tunnel and caught the guy as he tried to escape through an emergency exit.

Judy was very friendly and gave us a running commentary on what we were seeing on our drive from Whittier to Anchorage. I'm sure on a clear day this drive would be spectacular.

P1080997.JPG

With only nine of us in the bus, we had a chance to chat with each other during the drive. One couple was dropped off at an RV rental place and the rest of us went to the airport. As we got close, we were amazed that off in the distance we could see DENALI!! Two guys in the shuttle were headed back to their home in Germany and as I mentioned earlier the other lady was the wife of Duncan Tuck who was one of the entertainers on the Coral.

The four of us also got off at the airport where we had rental cars reserved through Budget. Since Kent & Laurel were extending their trip several days after we left we decided it would be best for us each to get our own car rather than share.

Despite calling to confirm the rentals, Laurel and I were both having nightmares about the reservations. The cars had been booked last September and at that time the rate was…$10 per day! Knowing somehow that such a cheap rate in Alaska MUST be a mistake, we were worried that we would end up paying hundreds of dollars or worse yet…not get a car at all.

But…although the agents were very surprised…everything worked out as smooth as possible! With the added taxes and fees our three day rental came to $58.23!

Judy had told us about a spot near the airport where we could go and get a better look a Denali so that was our first stop. Yes…it is very far away, but I can still say we saw Denali!

IMG_2737.JPG

Just down the road was Earthquake Park. We walked the path through the park and saw where a neighborhood disappeared in a giant landslide in the 1964 quake. Had there not been an incredible amount of mosquitoes, we would have spent more time reading the informational signs along the way.

IMG_2745.JPG

Before leaving Anchorage, we stopped in at Walmart to stock up on snacks and grab a quick lunch at the McDonalds inside the store. The rain continued as we left Anchorage.

IMG_2751.JPG

Just prior to Girdwood we stopped at an “information center” that once we got inside seemed to be just a place promoting Major Marine tours. BUT…they offered free coffee which I accepted! It was just a short distance from there to the Wildlife Conservation Center. The entry fee was $12.50 per person, but with the Northern Lights coupon we only paid one admission.

The rain was not letting up so we pulled on our rain jackets & pants and changed into our waterproof hiking shoes. The place was incredibly muddy which was not fun. You could just stay in the car and drive through and see most of the animals, but then it would be hard to get good photographs. If you get out and stick your camera through the fence then you can tell all of your friends about the moose you encountered in the wild!

P1000729.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

The dead trees in this photo were a common sight all over this area and were caused by the 1964 tsunami. The salt water killed the trees and the salt permeated the wood in such a way that the trees are basically preserved and won't decay.

IMG_2760.JPG

Edited by AryMay

This animal is known as a bison or buffalo...or around where we live here in Minnesota...we call them MEAT.

P1000774.JPG

What an opportunity to get a great grizzly photo!

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7707.JPG

Low tide in Turnagain Arm as we drove to Seward.

IMG_7715.JPG

Traffic was fairly heavy on the highway so the drive seemed to take quite a long time...but eventually we made it to Seward and our lodging for the next two nights at the Sunshine House Bed & Breakfast.

IMG_3590.JPG

The reservations had been made in September and the cash price for two nights for our room was $305.25. Overall our stay was pleasant and our hosts, Mike and Marsha, very warm and hospitable. I will go into more detail in the next post about our "out of this world" breakfasts but did want to make mention of a slight issue. It was our understanding when we booked that we would each have bedrooms with private baths, but instead were given the two upstairs bedrooms that shared a bath.

With a little coordination on shower times, we made things work, but the situation was less than ideal. There was a third bedroom with a private bath downstairs, but it was occupied by other guests.

After getting checked into the B & B, we set out to find a place for dinner. We walked up and down the main street in Seward looking at menus posted in the restaurants and finally decided on Apollo. The guys had gyro plates, I had lasagna and Laurel had "the biggest calzone" in all of Alaska. The cost of each of our entrees was $16.95. This photo shows just half of the calzone...a great deal for sure!

P1000781.JPG

Stay tuned for our next day...a Kenai Fjords National Park tour...amazing!

If everyone lives in the same building in Seaward, I wonder who has to shovel the snow from the walks? :D

Also, we love B&Bs too. Sorry that the communication didn't match what you thought you were getting. You are great to make lemonade out of lemons! Good going!

Great Stuff. This is just what I've been looking for. I'm sure the rain was annoying, but you got some nice photos at the Wildlife Center.

I am enjoying the way you tell the story. (I am going to brave it and put my link in an new thread. It wasn't my intention to detract from your report).

Looking forward to your Kenai Fjords Tour photos.