Understanding (or trying to) port charges and taxes booking thru CAS

Derek King

So i've been on a few 7 day cruises discounted thru CAS.

Went on one day GEM comped inside cabin in May 14. Only had to pay charges/taxes/Non-Commission fare. It was $223.44 for my wife and I total. That was broken down as $40 NCF and $183.44 in taxes/fees.

Just booked 2 night on Breakaway for Jan 15 and this time we got comped a balcony room and only had to pay the same charges/taxes/Non-Commission fare. But this time its only $165.60, only taxes/fees.

Does this make any sense? why would this be? Same NYC port.

I know i should just be happy i am going on 2 night balcony for only $165.

and I am but was just curious if anyone knew.

Thanks.

Have never been able to figure them out myself.

Breakaway generally costs more than other ships, and of course the ports all have different fees, with NY being an expensive one. Many cruises--all thru CAS--with either a coupon from land based, or directly thru them, and we have never paid the same price--even for the same cruise, but you can't beat the prices--and we love that drink card

Safe sailling

Went on one day GEM comped inside cabin in May 14. Only had to pay charges/taxes/Non-Commission fare. It was $223.44 for my wife and I total. That was broken down as $40 NCF and $183.44 in taxes/fees.

Just booked 2 night on Breakaway for Jan 15 and this time we got comped a balcony room and only had to pay the same charges/taxes/Non-Commission fare. But this time its only $165.60, only taxes/fees.

Thanks.

The cheaper price probably came from your gambling on the last cruise you took.

Thanks.

It makes perfect sense. some of the port charges are made based upon fixed charges per vessel(pilot charges some other charges as well) so when a ship has more passengers the per passenger fee based on a fix fee per vessel is less per passenger.

for example the pilot charges $10,000. if the ship holds 2000 passengers that is $5 per passenger. If it holds 4000 its 2.50pp...and its considered a port fee....

dockage may be per foot and the length of the Gem and the Breakaway is then divided by the number of passengers....again it would be lower on the Breakaway

A spin of the mystery wheel and there you go.

I could imagine, along with the spinning wheel, that you could also be impacted by a change in NSF or change in port fees or good day by a CAS rep or a computer mistake.

Or - all of the above.

It makes perfect sense. some of the port charges are made based upon fixed charges per vessel(pilot charges some other charges as well) so when a ship has more passengers the per passenger fee based on a fix fee per vessel is less per passenger.

for example the pilot charges $10,000. if the ship holds 2000 passengers that is $5 per passenger. If it holds 4000 its 2.50pp...and its considered a port fee....

dockage may be per foot and the length of the Gem and the Breakaway is then divided by the number of passengers....again it would be lower on the Breakaway

That makes a lot of sense.