CruiseCare insurance and canceling after final payment

Has anyone had to cancel their cruise after final payment and filed with the cruise line insurance for refund? Final payment for our once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise.. my dh's 60th birthday present from me was on 6/9. Yesterday he was diagnosed with Melanoma. We don't know what the treatment and recovery will be and whether we will have to cancel, but I was wondering if someone who has had to use their Cruise care insurance could fill me in on the first steps to take. This is probably the most expensive cruise we have every taken and excursions are already paid for as well as airfare.

If we have to cancel, that is not my concern but I would like to get our money back for obvious reasons.

I know I could call the cruise line and ask these questions but I don't have the emotional energy right now to deal with customer service. I will do that when I know more but if someone has some experience with this it would help.

Thanks!

First, so sorry to hear about your husband...prayers for your family...

Call them and tell them you need to cancel., they will open a claim and send you the necessary paperwork to fill out...

In fact you MAY be able to do that on line...

I would take a few days to just get your mind together, but the actual process is not that difficult....

Here is the link to the CruiseCare page on Royal's site

Edited by megr1125

We just had to cancel our 5/24 Oasis cruise because my DH broke his ankle and there was a chance he needed surgery. We called the cruise line with a few questions and then cancelled a few days later. We then called Berkely and cancelled. They email you the forms that need to be filled out or you can fill them out online. Berkely says they take 2 -4 weeks. We were able to cancel our hotel with no penalty and had used miles for our airfare which we had credited back at no fee because of my DH's 1K status with United.

You will need to have all receipts to send to Berkely including the original purchase invoice if you used a next cruise certificate.

We were at 50% penalty with RCI so we were due back 50% of our cruise fare, all taxes and fees and our prepaid gratuities. We had no excursions booked. RCI really messed up our refund and it took many phone calls to finally get the corect cruise fare back. Calculate what you know you are due and don't back down if they mess up. Once we finally got all of our correct refund from the cruise line back, we filed with Berkely. We had a form the doctor had to sign saying my DH was not fit to travel, he did that with no issues. Berkely actually just emailed us yesterday saying our claim is processed and checks are being issued, this was just under 3 weeks since we submitted our claim. Unfortunately, the figure they are reimbursing is wrong, they are sending us more than we are out!?!?:cool: Need to call them once the plumber leaves.

I wish your husband all the best. Keep good notes on your claim and stand your ground.

Thank you for the responses. I did use a next cruise cert but I don't know if I have it. The original reservation had to be revised because they had some incorrect information. I will wait until I have more information about needing to cancel. It would be good to be able to go because who knows when we would be able to do this together in the future?:(