Any "don't miss" places to eat in port? (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan)

PattyCruiser2013

I'll need to convince my husband that we should stop at Tracy's Crab Shack, if only for some bisque and crab cakes. He's of the opinion that there's a whole ship full of food that we already paid for, so there's no point in spending money on food ashore :D

Alava's (fish and chips) in Ketchikan. A small "shack" for lack of a better word, right near the docks across from Burger Queen. Ate there back-to-back days on our ill-fated first cruising attempt on the Millennium last summer and will be back next Sunday on our "redo" Alaska cruise!

We were told about a fish shack that took cash only....and I was thinking that might be the Ketchikan Fish Shack right on the dock. Is Alava's close to the dock too? I'm not too familiar with where Burger Queen is. I'm up for suggestions for Ketchikan. Last time we ate at the Cape Fox Lodge and it was just okay.

By the way, for Juneau, we loved the Twisted Fish in the Taku building. They brought us the yummiest cheesey bread. Then we followed up with fish and chips after that. For that trip, it was the tastiest fish and chips we had all week.

Skagaway -- the pub down at the far end of Broadway; the name is something like Skagaway Brewing Company, has great fried seafood, fries, and their own beer. Completely appropriate for the whole family. I'm pretty sure they have high chairs.

Tracy's Crab Shack. Be aware it's truly a little shack and the dining area is just some tables outside covered by a tarp. We had to stand in the rain with our food for awhile before we could snag a table. The food was great though!

I'm salivating just thinking about it...will be over-indulging in it's amazingness in 2 weeks.

All you can eat Alderwood Smoked Salmon over an open flame with all-you-can-eat fixins!

DON'T MISS! :p :p :p :p

Just goes to show... we all have different experiences. Gold Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau was one of the worst meals I've ever had. I suspect weather has a great deal to do with it. For me, it was cold - drizzling and then turned to rain. The food was mostly cold and/or the trays hadn't been refilled. The place also looked like it needed a good cleaning. I couldn't wait to get out of there... but alas... the lineups to get back on the (school) buses was LONG. Not a great experience. :eek:

Just goes to show... we all have different experiences. Gold Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau was one of the worst meals I've ever had. I suspect weather has a great deal to do with it. For me, it was cold - drizzling and then turned to rain. The food was mostly cold and/or the trays hadn't been refilled. The place also looked like it needed a good cleaning. I couldn't wait to get out of there... but alas... the lineups to get back on the (school) buses was LONG. Not a great experience. :eek:

What I will say is that some things have changed. The weather is always a crapshoot...the waterfall and overall scenery is beautiful...personalities of most of the current employees are bland, at best...Mack, the most awesome dog in all of Alaska, is now in Heaven and the salmon quality and food all around isn't exactly what I remembered from 3 years ago.

Needless to say...one of our main reasons for going back to Alaska turned out to be somewhat a disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We loved the Skagway Fish Company. Our crew had the crab cakes, crab legs, salads, and chowder and something else I can't remember but all were great.

In Ketchikan half of us ate at Burger Queen and loved it and the other half of us ate at the Crab Cracker Seafood Bar and it was fantastic. The Seafood Bar had indoor or outdoor seating and was in a pretty area right on the water. We watched float planes and the boats while we ate.

We were too frozen and wet in Juneau to eat anywhere! Just got back on the ship to the hot showers!!

• 1 month later...

wanted to report back that we LOVED Tracey's Crab Shack! not only was the crab leg perfect but their scallops over rice with marsala cream sauce was amazing. my kids didn't like the crab cakes cause they were too spicy. I liked the bisque a lot but didn't think it was the best thing I ever had. Lunch for 3 of us was about $55. pricey but not over the top. and it's right next to the dock so super convenient!

the most common question of a local that's traveled south is "where'd you eat?"

SE is not a dining destination.

For those of us in landlocked areas, where the only "seafood" available is frozen and farmed in Asia, I disagree :D Just the novelty of "fresh" and "local" is a wonderful taste experience. (I'm not talking about the King Crab BTW)

For those of us in landlocked areas, where the only "seafood" available is frozen and farmed in Asia, I disagree :D Just the novelty of "fresh" and "local" is a wonderful taste experience. (I'm not talking about the King Crab BTW)

in alaska, "fresh" does not mean "hasn't been frozen"

• 3 weeks later...