Need UK train Info

Gangplanker

I assume that you are planning this route as part of a scenic round about route

to Rome. As has been said, certainly the latter part of this line is picturesque.

If you wanted to use trains but have a slicker experience than first great western however you could take the train all the way to Rome from London via Paris and Milan. 2hr30mins to Paris, 7hrs to Milan and circa 3hr 30mins to Rome. With a day or two's stop in each city it can make an amazing pre cruise tour through three of the fashion capitals of the world on really fast trains. Might need an extra case for shopping on route however. I think there is a sleeper train from Paris to Milan as an alternative to a daytime TGV. if you book well in advance you can get some pretty good deals.

I would not advise the bus to Plymouth unless cost is the most important factor. It would be really cheap but a bit wearing for part of a vacation.

I assume that you are planning this route as part of a scenic round about route

to Rome. As has been said, certainly the latter part of this line is picturesque.

If you wanted to use trains but have a slicker experience than first great western however you could take the train all the way to Rome from London via Paris and Milan. 2hr30mins to Paris, 7hrs to Milan and circa 3hr 30mins to Rome. With a day or two's stop in each city it can make an amazing pre cruise tour through three of the fashion capitals of the world on really fast trains. Might need an extra case for shopping on route however. I think there is a sleeper train from Paris to Milan as an alternative to a daytime TGV. if you book well in advance you can get some pretty good deals.

I would not advise the bus to Plymouth unless cost is the most important factor. It would be really cheap but a bit wearing for part of a vacation.

THis would be a far nicer trip the French countryside is amazing.

And what a fantastic way to visit London, Paris Milan and Rome

Thanks for the suggestions :) That's a great idea for hitting the highlights.

As it happens, my wife and I have spent a lot of time traveling by train and car through France and Italy specifically. We just happen to love the wilds of Brittany (and Normandy) and thought it might be fun to approach by sea rather than by land.

If we were to do this trek, we would take the ferry, then rent a car when we got to France and tootle around a bit to some of our favorite spots. Pie Au Crabe in Ducey is not to be missed. ;) and Le Pont Bleu in Jullouville is fantastic! Then we'd probably drop the car in Lyon and take the train to Rome to avoid the drop fees.

All theoretical at this point, just exploring our options. But it's great to know that we can easily get to Plymouth for starters!!