Adventure of the Seas Iceland & Norway Cruise May 30 2014 Sailing Review

MDR Dinner on Day 6, as we sail away from Akureyri, towards Trondheim, Norway.

Here is the menu.

donqes.jpg

The anti-pasti. Ordinarily, I wouldn't order this while on land. But hey, we are on a cruise!

123r5w1.jpg

Garlic Tiger Shrimp on a bed of rice.

wk7pc.jpg

Dessert menu

wkis5j.jpg

I had the Tiramisu tonight

29bo8r9.jpg

The Staff Captain was hosting dinner this evening. Wonder who got invited to dinner.

2crt3ld.jpg

More pictures on my blog post here -

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-6-mdr-dinner-ship.html

What's your itinerary for your upcoming sailing?

It's identical to your cruise apart from it's a day shorter (we don't do Molde). I can't wait! Its refreshing to read a positive review about Adventure as I was starting to get really worried by other reviews/comments

It's identical to your cruise apart from it's a day shorter (we don't do Molde). I can't wait! Its refreshing to read a positive review about Adventure as I was starting to get really worried by other reviews/comments

Personally, it is about expectations.

Maybe I am simple-to-please. We have cruised many times with RCI and I don't recall ever having a bad cruise. We always end the cruise wanting to cruise some more.

Cruise compass. Sorry, for some reason why I upload the pictures into the image sharing website, it comes out this way (landscape), even though I uploaded the picture the correct way. (Portrait)

2yvo41h.jpg

We were somewhere in between Iceland and Norway. In the open seas.

iy0uok.jpg

The gang was still fast asleep! Anyway, sea day. No hurry to do anything.

2vtseqc.jpg

Selling hot mulled wine. The weather was quite cold outside, but within the ship, everything was fine.

2mctufq.jpg

Lunchtime!

2d0hzcp.jpg

Oh, a surprise was waiting for us at the Windjammer. Nice. I don't think I can finish all of that though.

1zoyfjn.jpg

More pictures on this blog post:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-7-sea-day.html

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Day 7 - MDR Dinner Menu. Notice the Classics. They are slightly different from the Classics from yesterday. Again, I can't figure out why the image program shows my picture in landscape. Check out my blog to see the menu in Portrait. (or download the picture, and make it upright)

Disclaimer - I cannot be held responsible for any neck injury arising from trying to read these menus.

4u7xua.jpg

Starter - Salmon fillet. It looked almost like a main course.

k6khk.jpg

NY Strip Steak with fries. Is this considered comfort food for Americans? We like it too. We hardly get to eat steak at home. Always a treat on a cruise.

30w366a.jpg

The dessert menu - watch the neck.

27zazh2.jpg

This dessert, I have not seen before in previous cruises.

rlx8d2.jpg

This was the beer I had earlier at the Diamond lounge cocktail hour, prior to dinner. Hmmm, I guess all the pics turn out landscaped.

wat7q9.jpg

More pictures on my blog post here -

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-7-mdr-dinner-top.html

Me again! Do you have a picture of the inside of a cruise compass to see the types of activities? I totally take your point. Weve only ever done Thomson cruises before so I don't really know what to expect

Sorry, I didn't take photos of the activities in the Cruise Compass.

Day 8 - Sailing. We will be in Trondheim later today.

The call at Trondheim, Norway, will be the shortest call in this cruise. We were scheduled to arrive at 1pm and all aboard time was 5:30pm.

2r43h4p.jpg

So, we had half a day of sailing on Day 8 morning. I was up rather early, as usual.

2qsteg5.jpg

See this video the Cafe Promenade, taken slightly after 7am in the morning.

7am in the morning. On the way to Trondheim.

2z5k4jq.jpg

This morning, we also listened to the Destinations lecturer.

dyvvut.jpg

I learnt a lot listening to his lectures. Glad to have attended.

See this blog post for more pictures:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-morning-at-sea.html

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Blog post - Trondheim Part 1 (with videos)

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-trondheim.html

We have arrived in Trondheim, Norway. We are tying up.

fmngol.jpg

Ship arrived on schedule. Getting off was easy and orderly. Looked like most passengers were going to walk into town.

5x24bt.jpg

Our plan was to walk into town. From all the research we did, everybody said that Trondheim was very walkable.

254vi9v.jpg

Useful sign. From this point, it was 1,400M to the Cathedral. This would lead us up a foot bridge to cross some railway lines.

2ib00vq.jpg

Great views of the ship from the beach.

315jzig.jpg

There is the railway - this picture from the footbridge.

346n6uw.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

We reach the end of the footbridge, and these are the steps down.

2zso4xs.jpg

I think this was called River Nidelven. Look at the boats.

28m1uyx.jpg

We would walk up this street - Nodregate. (Technically, we were walking South).

5vvcjs.jpg

We found a TGIF Fridays. We didn't eat there though.

jsbl7r.jpg

Starbucks. How expensive? Quite. Norway was indeed a very expensive country, though I am not sure why the cost of living is so high.

Cafe Latte -

Tall (42 Kroners or USD 6.85),

Grande (47 Kroners or USD 7.66),

Venti (52 Kroners or USD 8.49)

Cappucino

Tall (39 Kroners or USD 6.36),

Grande (44 Kroners or USD 7.18),

Venti (49 Kroners or USD 7.99)

2rx7kut.jpg

See my blog post for more prices -

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-trondheim_27.html

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Norway was indeed a very expensive country, though I am not sure why the cost of living is so high.

And the answers are:

Production of oil, gas, hydroelectric power, partly shipping like RCCL once was more norwegian than it is now.

A level of Social security that is very high and expensive.

A big country compared to the 5 mill inhabitants.

Mountains and fjords means that transportationcost are high.

All this gives rather high taxes and wages.

I live in Norway and can benefit of the few cheap things here like subsidized kindergardens. Of my rather average salary, I use 4% to pay for one child in Kindergarden.

Actually I would not agree that the cost of living here is high, but the cost is very variable. Transportation, restaurants, food and especially beer and wine is very expensive which makes cruising a good alternative for experiencing Norway.

Very nice & thorough review with great pics...STILL waiting for your Diamond Lounge review, though..when will you post it?

Big Al

I have been creating another blog post for the Diamond Lounge and I have put the link in several other threads, though not on this one.

See this -

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-diamond-lounge-june.html

Maybe I should start a separate thread on this so that it is easier to find.

And the answers are:

Production of oil, gas, hydroelectric power, partly shipping like RCCL once was more norwegian than it is now.

A level of Social security that is very high and expensive.

A big country compared to the 5 mill inhabitants.

Mountains and fjords means that transportationcost are high.

All this gives rather high taxes and wages.

I live in Norway and can benefit of the few cheap things here like subsidized kindergardens. Of my rather average salary, I use 4% to pay for one child in Kindergarden.

Actually I would not agree that the cost of living here is high, but the cost is very variable. Transportation, restaurants, food and especially beer and wine is very expensive which makes cruising a good alternative for experiencing Norway.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, as a Norwegian citizen, you would benefit from all the welfare that your country gives you, which is great.

However, as visitors, we have to pay for the expensive stuff as you have mention (transportation, restaurants, food etc). And, yes, if not for the cruise, I don't think I would bring my family to Norway!

Some pictures of the Nidaros Cathedral from the outside. We didn't go in.

2ic00sk.jpg

We also didn't manage to go into Stiftsgarden. We discovered that you must join a guided tour. You can't just enter the Stiftsgarden on your own. We arrived at about 2:20pm and the next tour would be at 3pm.

r0bm1f.jpg

Very pretty flowers.

t5kenp.jpg

The Nissan Leaf. A fully electric car. I've not seen this car before. Looks to be a good size.

143p7gh.jpg

So what else did we do, other than walking around the city centre?

We found our way to Sverresborg Trondelag Folkemuseum. We took a cab to the museum (4 of us), and the cost was 180NOK.

21mgmrm.jpg

Here is a description from the Visitor Norway website:

"Open air museum with more than 60 buildings from Trondheim and the Trøndelag area. Beautiful surroundings, and from the ruins of King Sverre's Castle, you have a wonderful view over the city and the fjord. The impressive main exhibition "Livsbilder" - "Images of Life" in the new public building reflects childhood, youth, adulthood and age in a the region during the past century. The Ski museum tells the story of skiing as a competitive sport and a practical means of transport. The rural section shows the development in Trøndelag buidling styles from the fjord to the mountains, and how people lived in the 18th and 19th centuries in the different country areas."

29zh51.jpg

Some pictures of what we saw. A chemist store from the past.

4zz4ar.jpg

The inside of somebody's home.

2ef74gx.jpg

Look at the roof.

sfi0id.jpg

And we made our way up to the top of this hill, where there used to be a castle. Now you can only see some ruins. But still worth a climb, for the views. Looks rather high, but it doesn't take that long to go up. The slopes were not very steep.

2q3xcec.jpg

Overall, we enjoyed the visit. Thereafter, we took a bus back. The bus-stop was located right outside the museum and the timetable showed that the bus came about twice an hour.

The bus brought us back to the city centre and we made our way leisurely back to the ship, stopping by at some shops and eateries along the way, primarily to check out the prices. I went into a Burger King. A Whopper meal was 89NOK or around 15USD. How much is a Whopper Meal in the USA? (average?)

We made it back to the ship in good time. There was also a long line to get back onboard, but it moved rather quickly.

See my blog posts for more information:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-trondheim-part-3.html

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/06/adventure-of-seas-day-8-trondheim-part.html

...we made our way leisurely back to the ship, stopping by at some shops and eateries along the way, primarily to check out the prices. I went into a Burger King. A Whopper meal was 89NOK or around 15USD. How much is a Whopper Meal in the USA? (average?)...
About US$6 not counting up-sales (additional for cheese, larger drink, larger fries).

The Economist (UK magazine) has a "Big Mac Index" comparing Big Mac prices around the world. They have Norway as the most expensive, but "only" 69% more than in the US (but their US price is about 15% more than I'm used to; they are probably looking at [more expensive] New York City). I've been to Norway three times and I didn't think anything was only 69% more than in the US.

Enjoying reading about your trip

Thom

Thanks, Thom.

Ah yes, the famous Big Mac Index. Thanks for sharing the prices of Burger King in the USA. Looks like Burger King Whopper meals in Singapore are about the same price as that of the USA these days.

What about Snapple? How much does it cost in the USA? Here, it was 23.40NOK (USD 3.82) for this bottle.

aeayzb.jpg

And Pringles? 19.90NOK or USD 3.25.

xpojrc.jpg

Prices, prices.

Great review as always,

Trondheim looked especially nice, I would love to do the Fjords one day

14 hours is pretty long for 8 and 9 year olds though, but you enjoyed it so that is the main thing

Thanks for writing!

Great review as always,

Trondheim looked especially nice, I would love to do the Fjords one day

14 hours is pretty long for 8 and 9 year olds though, but you enjoyed it so that is the main thing

Thanks for writing!

Thanks for leaving a note. Yes, the Fjords are worth doing.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We considered this exact cruise this year but in the end opted for a 12 night Med cruise as being from Ireland we knew it was probably our only chance of getting some real sunshine this year ! It's lovely to see all of your pictures, its letting me know what we missed out on.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We considered this exact cruise this year but in the end opted for a 12 night Med cruise as being from Ireland we knew it was probably our only chance of getting some real sunshine this year ! It's lovely to see all of your pictures, its letting me know what we missed out on.

Thanks for your note.

Hope you had a great cruise!