June 8, 2014 Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda with the Kids!

ShellDil

I Am in the same situation as you were on your cruise. This will be my first time traveling with our children without my husband in a couple of weeks. I have a question. Do I need to bring any kind of permission from my husband to take the kids to Bermuda by myself? We all have passports. Do I need anything else?

Thank you

I just recently got the paperwork ready to apply for passports. I know that both parents need to be present to obtain the passports for the children. But your kids already have them. Yes, better to call PCC and be safe! Even if they say nothing is required, maybe bring copy of birth certificates so you could prove you are their mother. Just a thought.

I contacted my Pcc this morning and she send me a parental consent form to feel out and notarized. She said they might never ask for it, but it's better if I bring it with me just in case. Thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

great review - waiting for more - pix well done - I will be on this ship on 9/7 - so it really has my interest - good work

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. I'm sure you're going to have a great trip! We're heading out for the weekend, so I hope to get back to the review on Monday.

Happy 4th of July to everyone! :)

great review - waiting for more - pix well done - I will be on this ship on 9/7 - so it really has my interest - good work

Hi Mz11378 - I see you're fairly new to Cruise Critic! I hope you will consider joining your roll call for the 9/7 Breakaway! This is a thread where people who are booked on the same sailing chat for months before we cruise! Come have a look!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755117&page=17

(To OP - sorry for a brief hijack :o)

Edited by cv322

I'll call my PCC tomorrow and yes you are right it's better be safe than sorry. I booked this cruise almost a year ago, made plenty of changes through my PCC since then, but it never cross my mind to ask.

I have taken my daughter to Africa and Europe by myself. The first time we traveled alone, she was 11 years old. (Actually, we were with a tour group on the Africa trip and she was 16 or 17). It never crossed my mind there would be a problem (and everything WAS fine)! My husband signed for her first passport and did accompany us the first time she travelled internationally. We do all have the same last name.

Edited by roddy good boy

So about the Pullman bed again... the steward is the one that would have to set it up/put it away? It's not something we could do ourselves? I feel bad asking them to do stuff like that. Also with separating the beds, but if it's together, I may have to make an exception in this case. I am NOT sleeping in a bed with my mother if I can help it!

Also, those lovely beach pictures... did you by chance go to Jobson's Cove? I'm not a beach person but I figure when in Bermuda, I should get at least somewhat close to the water and that seems like a nice place to go. I'm a weirdo, I don't like to be wet and I don't like sand getting stuck all over me. I was hoping to combine Jobson's Cove with the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse because they appear to be close from a map I looked at. Would that be something I can do on the last day? How far is it from the ship? Jobson's Cove is within walking distance from Horseshoe Bay or beach or whatever it is, isn't it? I don't want to spend a whole lot of time there but I also don't want to be the next YouTube star of "see what happens when you miss the ship."

So about the Pullman bed again... the steward is the one that would have to set it up/put it away? It's not something we could do ourselves? I feel bad asking them to do stuff like that. Also with separating the beds, but if it's together, I may have to make an exception in this case. I am NOT sleeping in a bed with my mother if I can help it!

I think your cabin steward had to take care of the pullman bed. I'm not sure how it locks in the "up" position. I don't know if there's a key or if it just stays up there. But don't worry about feeling bad - really, it's what they do. And as far as separating the beds, we saw our guy when we got our luggage before the ship left NYC and asked him to separate the beds and by the time we got back from dinner the first night, the beds were all made up separately. It's no big deal for them at all!

Also, those lovely beach pictures... did you by chance go to Jobson's Cove? I'm not a beach person but I figure when in Bermuda, I should get at least somewhat close to the water and that seems like a nice place to go. I'm a weirdo, I don't like to be wet and I don't like sand getting stuck all over me. I was hoping to combine Jobson's Cove with the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse because they appear to be close from a map I looked at. Would that be something I can do on the last day? How far is it from the ship? Jobson's Cove is within walking distance from Horseshoe Bay or beach or whatever it is, isn't it? I don't want to spend a whole lot of time there but I also don't want to be the next YouTube star of "see what happens when you miss the ship."

We went to Horseshoe Bay Beach, which looks like it's the same area as Jobson't Cove. I would think you could split the day with Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. I believe it was the guy driving the Helmet drive boat was telling some of the passengers that you can just walk down Horseshoe Bay until you find a part of the beach you like. I'm not really sure how the different "named" beaches actually work. I would think you could ask the bus or taxi driver if you decided on a taxi, where to go.

Leave early in the morning and you should have plenty of time. Think of it this way -when you're in port only one day, you don't stick right by the ship right? Just leave plenty of time to get back. Or do the beach day on day 2 and day 3 stick closer by the dockyard.

Ugh I know, and I shouldn't feel that way, but I do. What's odd is that the only cruise where the beds were already separated was to Hawaii when I was supposed to go with my husband. The other ones, they were not. I was with my sister so we just slept in the same one rather than ask for them to be split.

And yes, unless there was a huge sign that said "JOBSON'S COVE" I'd have no idea! And good point about not hanging around the ship all day on a port day.

I'm just trying to figure out what we're doing and when and which things we should see together due to geograpic proximity. I want to allow enough time, but I'd hate to think we don't have enough time and then only see half of what we want to see. I assume we'll see Hamilton/the caves/Swizzle Inn one day, St George(s?) the next and then hang by the dockyard/the lighthouse/and a very brief visit to a beach the last day. Oh crap. I just realized we're only there two and a half days and that one of those days, I'm going on a family charter catamaran thing. Shoot. So really I only have one and a half free days.

Your info has been most helpful!

I think your cabin steward had to take care of the pullman bed. I'm not sure how it locks in the "up" position. I don't know if there's a key or if it just stays up there. But don't worry about feeling bad - really, it's what they do. And as far as separating the beds, we saw our guy when we got our luggage before the ship left NYC and asked him to separate the beds and by the time we got back from dinner the first night, the beds were all made up separately. It's no big deal for them at all!

We went to Horseshoe Bay Beach, which looks like it's the same area as Jobson't Cove. I would think you could split the day with Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. I believe it was the guy driving the Helmet drive boat was telling some of the passengers that you can just walk down Horseshoe Bay until you find a part of the beach you like. I'm not really sure how the different "named" beaches actually work. I would think you could ask the bus or taxi driver if you decided on a taxi, where to go.

Leave early in the morning and you should have plenty of time. Think of it this way -when you're in port only one day, you don't stick right by the ship right? Just leave plenty of time to get back. Or do the beach day on day 2 and day 3 stick closer by the dockyard.

Ugh I know, and I shouldn't feel that way, but I do. What's odd is that the only cruise where the beds were already separated was to Hawaii when I was supposed to go with my husband. The other ones, they were not. I was with my sister so we just slept in the same one rather than ask for them to be split.

And yes, unless there was a huge sign that said "JOBSON'S COVE" I'd have no idea! And good point about not hanging around the ship all day on a port day.

I'm just trying to figure out what we're doing and when and which things we should see together due to geograpic proximity. I want to allow enough time, but I'd hate to think we don't have enough time and then only see half of what we want to see. I assume we'll see Hamilton/the caves/Swizzle Inn one day, St George(s?) the next and then hang by the dockyard/the lighthouse/and a very brief visit to a beach the last day. Oh crap. I just realized we're only there two and a half days and that one of those days, I'm going on a family charter catamaran thing. Shoot. So really I only have one and a half free days.

Your info has been most helpful!

Maybe you could do a beach combination with St George's? There's also a beach right at the dockyard. A lot of people seem to go there on the last day since it's right by the ship.

We definitely felt we had three full days....we were off the ship as soon as we could the first day and didn't have to be back on board until 4:30 on Friday. If you get off early that first day and stay until 4:00 or so the last day I think it's more like 3 days instead of 2 1/2 days. :)

Hey there everyone! I haven't forgotten the review - I promise! I was away for the 4th of July weekend and then work has had me swamped the past couple of days. I was able to get my pictures from Friday uploaded so I hope to start our last day in Bermuda either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there! :D

Back to the review!!! I'm sorry it took so long - work has been crazy busy! But here we are - Day 6, our 3rd and last day in Bermuda! We decided to stay relatively close to the ship. There was plenty to do, and plenty that we wanted to do close by. We had a lot of time in port, all aboard wasn't until 4:30 so if we wanted to venture away to see more of the island, we definitely had time.

Today we had scheduled a catamaran sail and snorkel in the morning. A beautiful day for it! I booked this through the ship excursion. I priced it through a couple of other vendors and it was so close that it just was easier to do it online before we left. So, 9:30 am was our time and we were ready for the Rising Son Catamaran Swim and Snorkel. Fun! My kids had never been on a catamaran before and they loved it!

14625042693_a51f0371ef_b.jpg[/url]

Some views of the marina as we were leaving

14601719981_126f4f771e_b.jpg

14581981176_8f85790c3e_b.jpg

We sailed for awhile....the captain talked about Bermuda, his life, life as a catamaran guide...you name it. It was a fun ride! I can't tell you how much I love being out on the ocean!

14601719491_02f1cca6f9_b.jpg

14418340830_659cb57be1_b.jpg

Really enjoying your review and pictures...I loved your European adventure report as well. So I have to ask this question...how many pairs of sunglasses did Alex lose this time LOL!!!

Thank you! Funny you ask about the sunglasses.....we may just have a mention about them later on our last day in Bermuda! ;)

We sailed past some of the larger homes and it actually seemed as though we just sailed in a big circle, maybe we did! They put the sails up, what a great morning!

14604995115_15cc0bdd06_b.jpg[/url]

Then we finally got to our snorkel spot. We were given instructions. They were very safety conscious. Much more so than some of the other snorkel trips I've been on in other islands actually. They said everyone had to have either a snorkel vest or noodle - regardless of how well you could swim, no exceptions. They gave a brief snorkel demonstration. There were also paddle boards for those who wanted to give that a try.

We were pretty close to a shore line, so you could snorkel into some caves, or over to a reef. Actually if you didn't go to the reef or shore line, there wasn't much to see. But it was a really relaxing and great time out there! I think we were out in the water maybe 45 minutes or so? Plenty of time actually.

My underwater camera battery must have died to the point no longer recharging before this trip, so I don't have any good pictures from the water part of the trip...sorry! I'll have to fix that before our next trip - which, for those interested in possible upcoming reviews... is the Top Chef sailing on Celebrity in November! But anyway....here's what I do have!

14601729371_fae93a5537_b.jpg

There were two other catamarans out there with us - it never felt crowded. One was around the other side of the cove and the other was closer to us.

14581980566_e02a1f506d_b.jpg

Just before it was time to get back on board Alex decided to try the paddle board - he really wished he had tried earlier since he really didn't get enough time to even get his balance! He had less than 5 minutes. But it's definitely something he'd love to try again!

14418586027_12b1a7c072_b.jpg

14418411188_0d56ff3b12_b.jpg

You can see we weren't very far from the ship at all!

14625073283_3e143c4e5c_b.jpg

After our catamaran trip in the morning we still had a few hours before we'd set sail again, so we went back to the ship for lunch and then set out for some shopping and mini golf! Our original plan was to go to the beach right by the ship, but after spending the morning in the water, we decided to just get changed and skip the beach.

And yes, if you read my European review, you know that Alex had an issue with sunglasses! And not always his fault! So, we're on our last day in Bermuda and we're standing by the stairs getting ready to walk down to exit the ship and I'm not kidding the arm thing that goes over your ear - whatever you call it, on glasses just falls right off of his glasses! It was if it just jumped right off! No way right! So if you notice carefully in the next pictures, he's wearing glasses with no earpiece thing on one side! So yes, next stop in Bermuda....shopping for glasses! But first....

For those not aware, right at the dockyard there's a beautiful mini golf course called Fun Golf! The holes are based on some of the most famous golf courses in Scotland, Bermuda and the US. And the setting with the ocean right behind you is amazing! It was perfect for us with just a few hours left before setting sail for NYC.

14418375150_244569e08d_b.jpg[/url]

14418413818_316c73de1f_b.jpg

14605021025_6d7c4d1796_b.jpg

14418415928_9d7602cb07_b.jpg

14418442909_98f0b00938_b.jpg

14418445559_ac44458b44_b.jpg

After golf, we checked out some of the shops, had a snow cone and got Alex a new pair of sunglasses. I think it's become a vacation tradition now! And then we went to board the ship one last time before getting ready to set sail...

14605015815_51793dec10_b.jpg[/url]

14625072113_0cfb3b75f4_b.jpg

The crew were singing as we walked back on board....we got the red carpet treatment for sure! Actually, there really was a red carpet...I just don't have a picture of it!

14418436089_be2aabdbbd_b.jpg

And so it was time to leave Bermuda...I wasn't sure about how we'd like it there when we planned this trip, but now that we had visited, it's an island that I know for sure I want to return to!

14601759471_a2d4c77787_b.jpg

14418604197_7f56521194_b.jpg

14418364910_2c706b2e99_b.jpg

After golf, we checked out some of the shops, had a snow cone and got Alex a new pair of sunglasses. I think it's become a vacation tradition now! And then we went to board the ship one last time before getting ready to set sail...

14605015815_51793dec10_b.jpg[/url]

14625072113_0cfb3b75f4_b.jpg

The crew were singing as we walked back on board....we got the red carpet treatment for sure! Actually, there really was a red carpet...I just don't have a picture of it!

14418436089_be2aabdbbd_b.jpg

And so it was time to leave Bermuda...I wasn't sure about how we'd like it there when we planned this trip, but now that we had visited, it's an island that I know for sure I want to return to!

14601759471_a2d4c77787_b.jpg

14418604197_7f56521194_b.jpg

14418364910_2c706b2e99_b.jpg

so glad for your review I was not so sur of Burmuda myself also but you gave

me the assurance that we will surley love it also .thanks great reading you

After our catamaran trip in the morning we still had a few hours before we'd set sail again, so we went back to the ship for lunch and then set out for some shopping and mini golf! Our original plan was to go to the beach right by the ship, but after spending the morning in the water, we decided to just get changed and skip the beach.

And yes, if you read my European review, you know that Alex had an issue with sunglasses! And not always his fault! So, we're on our last day in Bermuda and we're standing by the stairs getting ready to walk down to exit the ship and I'm not kidding the arm thing that goes over your ear - whatever you call it, on glasses just falls right off of his glasses! It was if it just jumped right off! No way right! So if you notice carefully in the next pictures, he's wearing glasses with no earpiece thing on one side! So yes, next stop in Bermuda....shopping for glasses! But first....

For those not aware, right at the dockyard there's a beautiful mini golf course called Fun Golf! The holes are based on some of the most famous golf courses in Scotland, Bermuda and the US. And the setting with the ocean right behind you is amazing! It was perfect for us with just a few hours left before setting sail for NYC.

14418375150_244569e08d_b.jpg[/url]

14418413818_316c73de1f_b.jpg

14605021025_6d7c4d1796_b.jpg

14418415928_9d7602cb07_b.jpg

14418442909_98f0b00938_b.jpg

14418445559_ac44458b44_b.jpg

It's called "Temple" piece. Lots of people call it arm!! What happens is, the screw loosens over time and falls out. My opinion is if you put your glasses on mostly one-handed this happens more often. Just check screws before trips!! Just lost mine on airplane and didn't notice till was outside in sun and piece was still on plane. Bought a new pair, Steve Maddens, and they just lost one. Thankfully my Optometrist husband took them to work and replaced screw.

Question, in the waterfront, the smoke really wasn't a huge issue? Looks like a great place and trying to talk friends into the Getaway.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I'm so glad you mentioned Fun Golf! I love how all the holes are based on famous golf courses. My husband will get a kick out of that. I was looking for something to do on the last day in Bermuda and this could be perfect! We leave this Sunday!

I have a question for you about your camera. The last time we were on a cruise, I brought my DSLR camera and the lense kept fogging up when I went from inside the air conditioned room out to the warm air. Did you ever have that happen to you? It was just a nuisance to have to wait for the lense to 'defog'.

It's called "Temple" piece. Lots of people call it arm!! What happens is, the screw loosens over time and falls out. My opinion is if you put your glasses on mostly one-handed this happens more often. Just check screws before trips!! Just lost mine on airplane and didn't notice till was outside in sun and piece was still on plane. Bought a new pair, Steve Maddens, and they just lost one. Thankfully my Optometrist husband took them to work and replaced screw.

Question, in the waterfront, the smoke really wasn't a huge issue? Looks like a great place and trying to talk friends into the Getaway.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

There were places on the Waterfront where I thought that the smoke was a bigger issue than others. Mainly near the bars. But if you were in a more isolated area or just at one of the restaurants, then no, we didn't seem to think the smoke was a big issue.

I have friends sailing on the Getaway in December and I'm looking forward to hearing how they like it!

I'm so glad you mentioned Fun Golf! I love how all the holes are based on famous golf courses. My husband will get a kick out of that. I was looking for something to do on the last day in Bermuda and this could be perfect! We leave this Sunday!

I have a question for you about your camera. The last time we were on a cruise, I brought my DSLR camera and the lense kept fogging up when I went from inside the air conditioned room out to the warm air. Did you ever have that happen to you? It was just a nuisance to have to wait for the lense to 'defog'.

Oh I know exactly what you mean about the lens fogging up! For some reason that didn't happen to me this time. I do have a lens filter on it - just a clear one, to protect the lens. Now I have no idea if that helps or not. And I can't remember if it fogged up much on our last trip to Europe, because it certainly was hot during that trip! But my old camera would constantly fog up and yes, made me crazy! One thing you could do if you remember is to put it out on the balcony for a few minutes to let it adjust before you go outside and start taking pictures.

Check the camera forum here too. I seem to remember reading a thread with posts on how to prevent the lens from fogging up. :)

Have a great cruise!!! And I think you'll enjoy the golf! It was a nice way to finish up our time in Bermuda and no real stress to rush back to the ship.

Sorry again for the delay in posting! I'm going to try to finish up our last day in Bermuda before today gets away from me. Then I have to upload pictures from our last day at sea....hopefully I'll get to them tonight!

So, tonight was the fireworks! Pretty much the theme of the nights was the "80s" Pretty fun if you're my age! So, around 10:30 up at Spice H20 they started the Awesome 80s Party. Basically a big 80s dance party with videos on the screen and the crew all decked out in 80s clothing. I'm not usually one who is much into the deck parties, but what the heck - fireworks were coming up, and 80s music - Megan and I went up and joined in the fun and really, we had a great time!

14625082823_57040a59eb_b.jpg[/url]

We noticed about 10 minutes or so before the fireworks the kids from the teen club started to filter into the crowd. We saw Alex come in with a bunch of friends. He didn't see us, and that was probably just as well. He was having a good time with his new friends. They hung around through the fireworks and left shortly after.

14603025304_06a115594d_b.jpg

14418437309_e31db7a65b_b.jpg

Megan and I hung around for a pretty long time after the fireworks, during the 80s party and had a really good time. It was a concert like atmosphere. I have to say, it was a great time after leaving Bermuda. I loved the way they combined the whole event!

14605027545_da54224640_b.jpg

But tomorrow would be our last day, a sea day and always a day I have such mixed feelings during! The day of packing up and heading home.

Do you remember the name of the Helmet Dive excursion? Cost? Was it a cruise line excursion or third party?

After lunch we went back out and did our sort of spur of the moment excursion. Something came across me yesterday and I was just swept away with all of the water and I decided that we just had to get UNDER the water! It may have had to do with watching the list of excursion options on the tv in the cabin! But we booked a Helmet Dive and it was time to go! This was slightly different from Snuba, and I had remembered reading some reviews on this particular tour operator before we went. So, here we go!

We met our group right at the dock by the ship. There were 13 people booked, small group. Our captain took care of the paperwork and off we went. He was quite the eccentric type. On our way out to our "dive" site he went over the helmet procedure and also talked quite in depth about the reef system and fish we may get to see. You could tell just how passionate he is about the ocean and its inhabitants!

When we anchored we were divided into two groups. We were in the first group. We had to put on wet suits, which was interesting. We got our instructions and down we went! We were only in about 10-12 feet of water and it was a very controlled environment.

The first 20 minutes or so were spent with Greg, the captain, feeding a the fish and taking our pictures in groups. We always had our hands on a bar so that we would be right in the same spot - no wandering off! He's been going to the same spot for years so the fish know him and come right up to him and his passengers. They will nuzzle you and let you "pet" them. Kinda cool actually!

14349164057_ca61cfc74f_b.jpg[/url]

14534149464_c4c122823c_b.jpg