Boarding Golden Princess in 10 day - Questions for previous cruisers

lbryant

We'll be boarding Golden Princess in 10 days and have some embarkation and a few onboard reservation questions.

1. We plan to get to the pier early. What time do they begin to take luggage and let you into the terminal? I understand boarding is not until noon, but want to at least get checked in before the larger crowds arrive (if possible). Does anyone know what time the 1st busses from Princess usually arrive? There are 3 ships boarding that day - will it be obvious which terminal we need or do all 3 ships use the same security check in terminal?

2. We're parking at the pier (have made reservations). My husband will drop us off, park the car and take their shuttle back. Does anyone know what time the shuttle begins? About how long does that process take?

3. For Crown Grill or Sabatini reservations: we'll need 2 tables to accomodate our family of 14. Do they have tables for 7-8?

4. Which MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day?

5. Where will I find the Maitre D to discuss setting up an ATD reservation for our group or alternatively, get moved to 6pm traditional dining? Our waitlist numbers are between #64 - #85, so I'm not optimistic. Our hope is that we can have a standing reservation for 2 tables in ATD.

Thank you for your help. Being the travel coordinator for a large group requires much research and planning..

1. I wouldn't get there any earlier than 10 - 10:30 because they will still be clearing passengers from the previous cruise. We usually get there around 11.

There will only be 2 ships at Pier 91. The 3rd ship in town that day will be at Pier 66. When we've been on the Golden in the past, there has always been a HAL ship at the other Pier 91 berth.

4. Usually the deck 6 anytime dining room.

Sorry, can't help with the rest. We take a towncar to the pier because I refuse to deal with traffic and parking on my vacation.

We'll be boarding Golden Princess in 10 days and have some embarkation and a few onboard reservation questions.

1. We plan to get to the pier early. What time do they begin to take luggage and let you into the terminal? I understand boarding is not until noon, but want to at least get checked in before the larger crowds arrive (if possible). Does anyone know what time the 1st busses from Princess usually arrive? There are 3 ships boarding that day - will it be obvious which terminal we need or do all 3 ships use the same security check in terminal?

When disembarkation is finished for the prior cruise luggage will be taken for your cruise, approx 9:30.

2. We're parking at the pier (have made reservations). My husband will drop us off, park the car and take their shuttle back. Does anyone know what time the shuttle begins? About how long does that process take?

I believe the parking lot is right at the entrance to the pier. May be able to walk.

3. For Crown Grill or Sabatini reservations: we'll need 2 tables to accomodate our family of 14. Do they have tables for 7-8?

They do have large tables but you would need to talk to the head waiter at the table setup outside the restaurant on embarkation day.

4. Which MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day?

Usually 1 of the 2 main DR's in the Piazza, deck 5/6. Either Donatello deck 6 or Bernini deck 5. Noon-1:30.

5. Where will I find the Maitre D to discuss setting up an ATD reservation for our group or alternatively, get moved to 6pm traditional dining? Our waitlist numbers are between #64 - #85, so I'm not optimistic. Our hope is that we can have a standing reservation for 2 tables in ATD.

Look in the Patter when you board, the MD will have a meeting place/time listed. Usually between 2p-3p in one of the dining rooms.

If you don't get the Crown Grill issue resolved talk to the MD about that as well.

Thank you for your help. Being the travel coordinator for a large group requires much research and planning..

See above in red....

Thank you for the excelling information! As the group organizer, everyone looks to me to know the answers to all of their questions, so I have to anticipate what those questions will be.

I appreciate the help.

If you take a look at Google Maps and find your way to Smith Cove Cruise Terminal, you'll see that the Garfield St bridge gets you from 15th Ave W/Elliott Ave W over to the terminal (the bridge gets you up and over the railroad lines). Following the signs, you'll end up down on 23rd Ave W. From there, you'll turn right to head north, and rapidly come to T. Go left for parking, go right for the ships. If you've gone right for the ships, you'll then bend right to head south under the bridge, and with a little bit of winding around, you'll continue south past the first big building (Smith Cove Ship Building 91) and down to the lanes and covered walkways just north of the second building (Smith Cove Cruise Terminal). You'll follow the signs for the personal vehicle drop-off, where everyone can pile out and grab suitcases, and your chauffeur can then head back to the parking lot, and catch a shuttle back to meet you.

I for one wouldn't even try to walk from the parking lot to the cruise terminal. The lanes are too twisty and too busy, with too many concrete barriers alongside some of them, to think that it'd be safe to try. I suspect the shuttles began running when passengers started to disembark, and they might get slow in between disembark and embark, but by no means missing.

If you pick the Earth/satellite view in Google Maps and look at the parking lot, you'll see two yellow tents. Those are where the shuttles pick up, so probably wisest to park close to those.